Cincinnati Bengals - $55.1 million available

Cleveland Browns - $48.9 million available

Indianapolis Colts - $46 million available

New York Jets - $19.4 million over

Dallas Cowboys - $18.2 million over

and the Vikings fall somewhere in the middle

Minnesota Vikings - $16.1 million available

From ESPN.com

I don't really understand the details of the salary cap. It looks like the Colts and Bengals have a lot of room to become even more of a threat than they already are. And the Vikings don't have as much room as I would have hoped. But it seems like teams usually find ways to adjust contracts to make it work if they really want someone.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Cut Carlson & our cap goes up.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Surely you jest'. The guy had a probowl season running around on the sideline. No one got of his practice pants faster. The determination he showed clapping for our offense will go down in NFL history. He is as instrumental to this teams continued success as Joe Webb.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I know this is a BR and you guys freak out on them, however, I've seen this number (math) used in several other CAP discussions so I don't think its to far off.
    According to my Bleacher Report colleague Tim Arcand, the Minnesota Vikings have 16 players who will be free agents this offseason, freeing up roughly $13.9 million. That leaves Minnesota's projected 2013 salary cap at $101.6 million.
    The 2013 NFL salary cap will be $120 million and teams are forced to spend at least 88.8 percent of that amount, or $107.1 million. So the Vikings will have to spend a minimum of roughly $5.5 million this offseason.
    That means Minnesota has, at max, $18.4 million to spend in free agency.
    Vikings: Building a 2013 Free Agent Shopping List Around Projected Cap Space | Bleacher Report
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Actually its the opposite as the Vikings take the complete hit of the remainder of his guaranteed money now which I think would be a little over 7 mill

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Actually its the opposite as the Vikings take the complete hit of the remainder of his guaranteed money now which I think would be a little over 7 mill
    He was guaranteed $9.1 mil & already paid $4.25 of it, which leaves $4.85, not over $7.

My guess is we are stuck with him for at least another year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

He was guaranteed $9.1 mil & already paid $4.25 of it, which leaves $4.85, not over $7.

My guess is we are stuck with him for at least another year.
    From our good friends at rotoworld.

3/14/2012: Signed a five-year, $25 million contract. The deal contains $9.1 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. Carlson is eligible for annual $100,000 offseason workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2.9 million, 2014: $3.9 million, 2015-2016: $4.9 million, 2017: Free Agent
    I don't know what math class you attended, however, 9.1 mill gauranteed, + (Plus = including) 5 Mill signing bonus

Not sure how that comes to 4.85. Are you forgetting the 5 Mil or are you saying that 5 Mil came out of the 9.1?

The way I do it is to take the 5 Mil (already payed) and don't worry about it cause its sepate from the 9 mil and subtrack the 2.9 we payed him this year from the 9.1 that is gauranteed and come up with 6.2 mil still gauranteed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    From our good friends at rotoworld.

I don't know what math class you attended, however, 9.1 mill gauranteed, + (Plus = including) 5 Mill signing bonus

Not sure how that comes to 4.85. Are you forgetting the 5 Mil or are you saying that 5 Mil came out of the 9.1?

The way I do it is to take the 5 Mil (already payed) and don't worry about it cause its sepate from the 9 mil and subtrack the 2.9 we payed him this year from the 9.1 that is gauranteed and come up with 6.2 mil still gauranteed.
    Not that I understand this shit very well, but both yours and Singer's responses leave me more confused than what I previously thought I understood.

From a salary cap perspective for Carlson, this is my basic understanding:

Carlson's contract:
    Signing bonus: $5M
    Yearly salary: $2.9M (2012), $2.9M (2013), $3.9M (2014) and $4.9M (2015)
    Guaranteed money: $9.1M ($5M signing bonus, year one salary of $2.9M and $1.2M of his second year salary)

For 2012, my understanding is that you take 1/4 of his signing bonus ($1.25M) plus his salary of $2.9M giving him a 2012 cap number of $4.15M.

If he's cut this offseason, the Vikings would be on the hook for the remaining signing bonus in 2013 ($3.75M) plus the $1.2M of his guaranteed second year money. I would think that should equate to a 2013 cap hit of ~$5M if he were cut, vs. $4.15M if he stays. It costs more to cut him than to keep him.

If MN, cuts Carlson after his second year their cap hit would be significantly less ($2.5-3M), vs. $5.15M if he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Not that I understand this shit very well, but both yours and Singer's responses leave me more confused than what I previously thought I understood.

From a salary cap perspective for Carlson, this is my basic understanding:

Carlson's contract:
    Signing bonus: $5M
    Yearly salary: $2.9M (2012), $2.9M (2013), $3.9M (2014) and $4.9M (2015)
    Guaranteed money: $9.1M ($5M signing bonus, year one salary of $2.9M and $1.2M of his second year salary)

For 2012, my understanding is that you take 1/4 of his signing bonus ($1.25M) plus his salary of $2.9M giving him a 2012 cap number of $4.15M.

If he's cut this offseason, the Vikings would be on the hook for the remaining signing bonus in 2013 ($3.75M) plus the $1.2M of his guaranteed second year money. I would think that should equate to a 2013 cap hit of ~$5M if he were cut, vs. $4.15M if he stays. It costs more to cut him than to keep him.

If MN, cuts Carlson after his second year their cap hit would be significantly less ($2.5-3M), vs. $5.15M if he stays.
    I'm far from a CAPOLOGIST so I will defer to you, however, it is my assumption that the signing bonus was paid out at the contract signing.

Sometimes it is spread out as you say and sometimes its paid all upfront. I'm just not sure in this case other than to say typically Bryzcheapski pays it all up front so that there isn't the lingering dollars if they chop a guy.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I'm far from a CAPOLOGIST so I will defer to you, however, it is my assumption that the signing bonus was paid out at the contract signing.

Sometimes it is spread out as you say and sometimes its paid all upfront. I'm just not sure in this case other than to say typically Bryzcheapski pays it all up front so that there isn't the lingering dollars if they chop a guy.
    My understanding is that the player gets it all upfront, however, for cap purposes, they prorate it over the length of the contract. That is, unless the player is cut, in which case they are hit with the remaining amount as a cap hit for that year.

Signing bonuses are good for the player and good for the cap, unless of course, you cut the player early.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast