Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100
  1. #61
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    Dude if we kill the draft, and pick up some solid vet contributors after the draft.....
    When is the last time we did that

    I don't consider getting 3 starters out of a draft as "killing" it.

    In our entire draft history, how many times did we "kill" the draft & get 4 or more solid starters out of the draft?

    Minnesota Vikings | NFL Draft History

    If you happen to find any years we accomplished that, how many of those years did we add solid vet contributors after the draft in addition to those picks?
    Last edited by singersp; 04-18-2012 at 05:33 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #62
    SharperImage's Avatar
    SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,721
    98' Draft Randy Moss Kailee Wong and Matt Birk - picked up cunningham and some other pieces went 15-1

    03' Kevin Williams, EJ Henderson, Nate Burleson, Onterrio Smith(was good for a little bit)

    09' Percy, Loadholt, Brinkley, Sanford, Ashtray allen

  3. #63
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    880
    I reserve the right to change this after the draft and second FA period are concluded, but I'm going to venture a guess at 7-9 as of now.

    I know the old saw about how you are what your record says you are, but I honestly believe that were not as bad last year as your typical 3-13 team. Almost all of our losses were very close, 7 points or less, and were the result of second-half collapses in one form or another. I don't see a repeat of that in the offing. It may happen, but I doubt it.

    We most certainly are not a playoff caliber team, nor even close, given the state of our division, but we're still going to be a fairly solid, middle-of-the-road club, IMO. We have lots of winnable games early on, with a brutal post-bye stretch to close it out, so our wins will likely have to come early.

    Remember who we are. Our team always does best when overlooked and/or criticized, and falls flat when expectations are high. Well, seldom have I seen lower expectations for this team. If the patterns of old hold true, we should do fairly well.

    My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

  4. #64
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    98' Draft Randy Moss Kailee Wong and Matt Birk - picked up cunningham and some other pieces went 15-1

    03' Kevin Williams, EJ Henderson, Nate Burleson, Onterrio Smith(was good for a little bit)

    09' Percy, Loadholt, Brinkley, Sanford, Ashtray allen
    '03 was one I was thinking of too & is the closest we came to drafting 4 quality starters, but what FA did we sign in addition to them?

    '98 was 3, not 4 good draft picks, but the addition of Cunningham made it a good offseason.

    '09 I wouldn't add to the list. Although Loadholt is starting, I feel he is mediocre, especially considering all the flags he gets. Brinkley shows the most promise followed by Sanford, but at this point I'd say they still have a lot to prove. Asher Allen is far from a quality draft pick at this point. He's had playing time, but basically because we had no other options better than him.

    So that means 2 respectively good draft/offseason FA signings in the past 9 years.

    Bottom line, we aren't going to be able to build a playoff caliber team solely thru the draft. We can't draft enough quality players to fill the starting roster quickly enough before we lose them to FA.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-19-2012 at 07:27 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #65
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    '03 was one I was thinking of too & is the closest we came to drafting 4 quality starters, but what FA did we sign in addition to them?

    '98 was 3, not 4 good draft picks, but the addition of Cunningham made it a good offseason.

    '09 I wouldn't add to the list. Although Loadholt is starting, I feel he is mediocre, especially considering all the flags he gets. Brinkley shows the most promise followed by Sanford, but at this point I'd say they still have a lot to prove. Asher Allen is far from a quality draft pick at this point. He's had playing time, but basically because we had no other options better than him.

    So that means 2 respectively good draft/offseason FA signings in the past 9 years.

    Bottom line, we aren't going to be able to build a playoff caliber team solely thru the draft. We can't draft enough quality players to fill the starting roster quickly enough before we lose them to FA.
    AMEN to that!!!... What you'd really like to do is draft well and have a QB who can hide the rest of your deficiencies through stellar play... I doubt Ponder can/will do that!!... Thing is, we don't get 3 starters in a draft hardly ever, let alone being able to add depth....

  6. #66
    vikingsflow's Avatar
    vikingsflow is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12
    6 - 10 I think we will do okay! Not all is lost

  7. #67
    RK.'s Avatar
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    4,443
    Now that the draft is over does anyone want to change their prediction. I might be willing to go up from 3 wins to 4 wins.

    WWBGD

  8. #68
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Now that the draft is over does anyone want to change their prediction. I might be willing to go up from 3 wins to 4 wins.
    Well, I'm going from 5 wins to 4 wins now... so we're around the same place.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  9. #69
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,228
    I personally think we are going to be better than most think.

    I do not think we will be competing for a playoff spot or anything like that, but I could see us stealing a win or two in our division. I like the rest of the schedule also.

    I am going to say we finish either 6-10 or 7-9 and feel pretty good about our progress heading into 2013. Of course, this is all banking on Frazier not being the doofus I suspect he might actually be.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18
    Having the "easier" games early on could really help us out.

    Ponder couldn't ask for a better structure to the schedule. A few wins and decent performances should early on, would boost his confidence for the post-bye games.

    I still see 6-10 but with a couple of those wins being over stronger teams in the second half of the season.

    Possibly even pushing a .500 season if Ponder does progress with the full offseason and being able to get on a roll with the first few games.

    If Ponder does improve this year, I really don't think we'll be far off in 2013.
    Australia: Where Monday Night Football is on a Tuesday

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •