Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 86
  1. #51
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    I wonder what people would be saying & what Rick would have done if he had the 2nd pick instead of the 3rd?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #52
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Were not talking about "pressures behind the scenes", the inner working of a billion dollar industry or the fact that you feel you are much better at decision making than anyone else here because you've had experience making decisions in an extremely high pressure situation that was non-football related.

    Were talking about a couple of simple things here. There's no need to go into the bowels of the NFL.

    Pretty simple things we're talking about here.

    You have the number 3 pick in the draft. You desperately need a top LT. There's 1 available that is guaranteed to be there at number 3 & chances are great he'll still be there at 4 or 5 based on the needs of the other 2 teams with a WR & RB sitting there also.

    1. Everyone knows you need a LT first and foremost, especially after just signing a WR to compliment Harvin, but you decide to let it be publicly known that you might not take Kalil in the draft.
    A. Was that a genius move that can only be made by someone with the expertise or knowledge to handle a high pressure decision like that?
    B. How many GM's do you think it fooled?
    C. How many fans do you think it fooled?
    d. Do you think that only a few of us fans would have had the notion to try & throw others off track by suggesting we might not take our primary target?

    2. You have the number 3 pick & see the opportunity to move down a few spots & still get your man or if the price is right, move out of the top 10 altogether.
    A. Do you exaggerate or falsify what offers you have to try & drive the value of your pick up to get the most picks & value for trading your pick or do you simply listen to offers & then choose the best one?
    B. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much genius does it take to inflate or falsify offers on your pick?
    C. On a scale of 1 to 10, how high is the pressure before one makes the decision to inflate or falsify offers on your pick?
    D. Do you really believe people here on PP.O are too stupid or lack the expertise that they wouldn't exaggerate of falsify offers if they were the ones who had an opportunity to do so? Do you think they couldn't do so because they'd crack under pressure & only people such as yourself who's had experience making those high pressure decisions could do so?
    E. How many people here do you think would exaggerate of falsify offers if they were the ones who had an opportunity to do so? None? Some? Half? Most? All?

    I happen to believe most of us here, if not all would inflate the offers we had for the pick to get the best offer out it. I don't think it takes a genius to inflate the value and I don't think it's ridiculous to think my fellow PP.Oers wouldn't do it.

    Spielman with in the right spot to make a deal & got the best bang for his buck in the deal. It was a damn good move, but damn near all GM's put in that same spot would try & do the same. I don't think it was sheer genius.

    Trade or not, selecting Kalil was IMO, a "no brainer" based on need at the moment..

    The trade to move up & snatch Harrison Smith was a good move too, but not genius, nor do I believe the only reason he was able to be dealt for was because of the first trade. Did you forget how many picks, including 4th rounders we had before the draft ever started?

    We had 3 4th round picks before the draft even started.
    I'm just wondering other than yourself I don't see anyone stating Spielman's draft was "sheer genius"

    As for the 3 4th round picks 2 were compensatory for Rice and Edwards leaving in FA and couldn't be traded pick 33 and 39

  3. #53
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I'm just wondering other than yourself I don't see anyone stating Spielman's draft was "sheer genius"

    As for the 3 4th round picks 2 were compensatory for Rice and Edwards leaving in FA and couldn't be traded pick 33 and 39
    lol. darn facts.

    Nobody has called Spielman's draft sheer genius, but that is beside the point. When Singer makes up his mind about something, there is nothing that will ever change his mind (TJack, Favre, Spielman, etc). It is fun to get him riled up about it though. Just kidding Singer!

    For some people, they had made up their minds about Spielman before the draft, so the fact that he pulled off a very good draft really eats at them, and they try to do everything they can to minimize the impact of either the draft or Spielman's influence over it. Haters gonna hate.

    I don't know if Spielman is really the answer at GM or not, after all his Free Agency did kind of suck. But I do recognize that just by virtue of FINALLY having one person in charge of personnel decisions we were able to focus better in the offseason. With one person we are at least following a vision - young players with potential and no more old ass veterans brought in for their last couple of years in the league. Some may disagree with that vision, but at least we know what the plan is.

    As for the draft, which is the topic of this thread. It doesn't matter what one or two unswayable people are going to think. It was a damn good draft, and one of the best ones that the Vikings had in recent memory.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #54
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I'm just wondering other than yourself I don't see anyone stating Spielman's draft was "sheer genius"
    Well then, you & NP need to read more. Try looking elswhere besides just this thread. Start with the draft threads from last April.

    LOL! Just because it's not on the same page as my post, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    As for the 3 4th round picks 2 were compensatory for Rice and Edwards leaving in FA and couldn't be traded pick 33 and 39
    And your point is?

    Fact is we had 3 4th round picks before the draft & if we traded the one we could trade, we still had 2 4th rounders left.
    Last edited by singersp; 12-28-2012 at 02:06 PM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #55
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    lol. darn facts.

    Nobody has called Spielman's draft sheer genius, but that is beside the point. When Singer makes up his mind about something, there is nothing that will ever change his mind (TJack, Favre, Spielman, etc). It is fun to get him riled up about it though. Just kidding Singer!

    For some people, they had made up their minds about Spielman before the draft, so the fact that he pulled off a very good draft really eats at them, and they try to do everything they can to minimize the impact of either the draft or Spielman's influence over it. Haters gonna hate.

    I don't know if Spielman is really the answer at GM or not, after all his Free Agency did kind of suck. But I do recognize that just by virtue of FINALLY having one person in charge of personnel decisions we were able to focus better in the offseason. With one person we are at least following a vision - young players with potential and no more old ass veterans brought in for their last couple of years in the league. Some may disagree with that vision, but at least we know what the plan is.

    As for the draft, which is the topic of this thread. It doesn't matter what one or two unswayable people are going to think. It was a damn good draft, and one of the best ones that the Vikings had in recent memory.
    Fact is we had 3 - 4th round picks. We easily could trade 1 & still have two left. We had a surplus this year.

    Darn facts! LOL!

    I've already said Spielman had a good draft, multiple timessince the draft, but that apparently isn't good enough for people until you agree he's one of the greatest GM's ever & he pulled off a trade that few GM's in history could have pulled off.

    Again a draft is one thing, but the GM position is a lot more than that. The unswayable ones are the ones that point only at the draft, don't even consider FA moves or the other personnel moves & state how great he is based on one draft.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #56
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by nodakpaul View Post

    i don't know if spielman is really the answer at gm or not, after all his free agency did kind of suck.
    Hater!!!


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #57
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Well then, you & NP need to read more. Try looking elswhere besides just this thread. Start with the draft threads from last April.

    LOL! Just because it's not on the same page as my post, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.



    And your point is?

    Fact is we had 3 4th round picks before the draft & if we traded the one we could trade, we still had 2 4th rounders left.
    Well I did a word search for posts in the archieved 2012 draft off season and

    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Perhaps Spielman's/Fraziers's next genius plan is to move Robison to RG.
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If people want to label Spielman as a genius for selecting a player 99% of the fan base figured we'd take, so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    You don't have to anoint this guy a genius, but he does deserve some credit for taking advantage of the position he was in.
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yet some people think he's going to be a genius when it comes to the draft & we'll end up getting a bunch of rookie starters that will replace the starters we lost.
    with responses of

    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    For better or worse, he is our guy for now and he needs to use the draft effectively to give this team a chance at a future. Let him make his picks and determine his future. If he proves to be as inept as many believe, hopefully will Zygi take action soon. In the end, Zygi's opinion is the only one that matters.
    and

    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Nobody thinks he will, but it's our only hope.
    But when I used google there was a person on another Vikings site and a Bleacher report and a Daily Norseman that thought the Walsh six round pick looked like a genius move.

    But I have seen post were members though he did deserve credit for a good draft

    Oh there was some other posts about the genius of inviting a basketball player to spring camp but I'm thinking they may have involved some sarcasm

  8. #58
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Well I did a word search for posts in the archieved 2012 draft off season and









    with responses of



    and



    But when I used google there was a person on another Vikings site and a Bleacher report and a Daily Norseman that thought the Walsh six round pick looked like a genius move.

    But I have seen post were members though he did deserve credit for a good draft

    Oh there was some other posts about the genius of inviting a basketball player to spring camp but I'm thinking they may have involved some sarcasm
    Did you try using synonyms for genius, such as brilliant or others? Did you look at other fan sites on the web or on FB?

    I didn't think so.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #59
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Did you try using synonyms for genius, such as brilliant or others? Did you look at other fan sites on the web or on FB?

    I didn't think so.
    Again it appears you are the one using the term of sheer genius here as I stated earlier and I did look on another fan site

  10. #60
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    But when I used google there was a person on another Vikings site and a Bleacher report and a Daily Norseman that thought the Walsh six round pick looked like a genius move.
    ....................................

    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    hey its bleacher report the Spielman of sports reports

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •