Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I believe the genius drafting before this year was Childress, not Spielman.
    Still?

Sure the Chiller had alot more to day than Leslie does now, but I still think that after the Foley fiasco, he and Spielman worked well together.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It was a good draft. Unfortunately some people must believe that is the only thing the GM does.

How many here though this was the best FA ever? Not to many I'll bet.

Being GM means more than the draft. Trading our 3rd to a 4th wasn't genius either. If it was, then many of us here are geniuses.

Being GM also takes making good FA acquisitions, good FA trades & being able to retain the good players you have.

He totally botched the handling of Harvin during pre-season & now it's blowing up in his face. Had he worked out some type of extension earlier this season, we wouldn't be seeing Harvin as disgruntled as he is now. Instead Spielman was working on an extension for Loadholt so fans could continue to enjoy watching him give up sacks & rack up penalties.
    First, if your a good GM you don't have to worry about FA period as you will always have depth on the bench to fix your vacancies.

Second, the Harvin thing was mostly blown out of proportion as we still don't know what the tiff is about. If it was contract related, again, one more time for possible penetration, the owners were the ones who tightened the purse strings because of the stadium issue. Not the GM my friend.

Third, like Sydney, Percy's ability to stay healthy is going to play more into his contract than anything. You just don't give him that kindof money if you can't rely on him to play all 16 games.

Now if his agent would relent a bit and acknowledge that and not demand top dollar (again that is all speculation because we don't know whats going on) then a deal probably could get done. Using Sydney as an example, I don't think one will.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't think Harvin's frustration stems from contract issues. I think it stems from on field issues. IMHO had he signed an extension he would be just as frustrated if not more because things on game day aren't going the way he wants them to. I could be wrong, but then again so could you. I don't think that this is something we can say was "botched" by the GM without more information.

And I have been very vocal about the shitty free agency - that isn't what this thread is about though. It isn't titled "2012 Free Agency... one to remember?"...

And when news came out a few weeks before the draft that Spielman was open to trading down, there was a LOT of negative comments on here about how it was a bad idea and we need to stay put and not miss out. There were also a lot of other comments about how a trade would be great but that was easier said than done. When draft day came, we traded down ONE spot and picked up an extra pick as a result, so Cleveland could pick a player that we didn't want. That means we either played another team(s) against Cleveland to get them to panic and move up or we completely bluffed them. Either way it WAS a good move, and not one that ANYBODY on this forum could have pulled off, despite your claim otherwise.
    Damn, ole ND, bringing the "A" game.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Agree, especially on the FS point. I think you will see us go for Motta or Evans in the 4th round if they are there.

On a side note, been gone for a spell. What is your assessment of our boy Everson now?
    The same it has always been... He makes a damn good DE
    I never doubted he had talent. I just didn't want him at OLB. Since they made the decision to keep him at DE and let him blossom, I think his game has returned. What I saw was a player with good top end speed and athletics but one who was stiff in his hips and more fast than quick. I liked the pick up from day 1 as I was high on him coming out of USC since i couldn't get Michael Johnson from GT( i think it was GT) or Peppers ( still drooling over him) opposite Allen. I am eating crow over Walsh as I believed he was too damaged to return to prior form ( most scouts thought the same)

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Vikings winning, GM good. Vikings losing, GM bad. As it should be.

Vikings winning, Coach good. Vikings losing, Coach bad. As it should be.

Anything you ever need to know about a fan can be summed up as follows. Team winning, all is good. Team losing, all is bad. No room for middle ground or your fan card will be revoked. As it should be.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

Anything you ever need to know about a fan can be summed up as follows. Team winning, all is good. Team losing, all is bad. No room for middle ground or your fan card will be revoked. As it should be.
    Brilliant.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Excellent post my friend.

One comment, I think he has a good record when it comes to FA's especially when you consider that last year he didn't have a unlimited checkbook to spend with.

Lets see if he can land a guy like Bowe (gonna get V-jax type money) to put a Vet bandaid on our WR corps now that the stadium deal is done.
    Not sold on Bowe. A WR playing with Charles should be more consistant. I don't know if he is distracted by his contract or what but.... his play has fallen off the last two seasons. I much rather Jennings, who can solve the deep ball threat we a missing. He also adjusts and fights for the ball like a bigger WR. When you pair him with Hunter from Tenn or the kid from Cal, you have a true WR corps, whether we resign Harvin or not.

In my perfect world we sign Jennings, Draft the kid from Cal, resign Simpson to a 3 year deal. Cut Carlson to save money and tag Harvin to trade him for a 2nd rounder. A team like the Pats with high 2nd rounder would probably make the deal. We take that 2nd rounder to select DAT from Oregon.

Jennings - Cal WR - Simpson - Childs/Wright - DAT
    would be a scary WR corps. Full of good youth and speed.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Not sold on Bowe. A WR playing with Charles should be more consistant. I don't know if he is distracted by his contract or what but.... his play has fallen off the last two seasons. I much rather Jennings, who can solve the deep ball threat we a missing. He also adjusts and fights for the ball like a bigger WR. When you pair him with Hunter from Tenn or the kid from Cal, you have a true WR corps, whether we resign Harvin or not.

In my perfect world we sign Jennings, Draft the kid from Cal, resign Simpson to a 3 year deal. Cut Carlson to save money and tag Harvin to trade him for a 2nd rounder. A team like the Pats with high 2nd rounder would probably make the deal. We take that 2nd rounder to select DAT from Oregon.

I hope this is a priority this offseason and I like the combination of adding a proven WR in FA and a pick in the draft.

Harvin is a wild card, I hope we get him back, but his time here might be done. What makes him good is also what makes him vulnerable to injuries, I doubt this gets better as he ages, but it could. Either way, I like the way he plays the game and would like to see him stay with MN.

Simpson has been a letdown and we may be better served trying to bring more potential into the lineup if we do indeed target a WR with FA and the draft. Harvin will also play into this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

I think I have been pretty standard on my criticism of Rick thru good or bad. I don't think he is a good GM. I think he has an eye of talent on the defensive side of the ball but cannot put together an offense to save his life. In his tenure here, he has drafted good offensive players. Harvin, Peterson, Khalil. I would give you Rice as well. That's just not enough production for all the picks spent.

As for the coaching staff. I have given Fraiser my support for day 1. I didn't understand why everyone was ready to fire the guy when he had 1 season with a horrendous team and we were in several games last season despite starting a rookie QB, no OTAs, a fresh coaching change, and new playbook

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post

Why ohhhhhh why would you even think I would entertain a discussion on a PUKER WR?

Good point on consistency and Charles, but the same could be said about our WR's. I think, like ours, you have to look at the inconsistency at QB. Problem is, like it or not, Ponder has several receivers up there in the numbers (over 50) (especially PH who hasn't caught a ball in a few weeks) were as the Chiefs are pretty limited there.

Another thing to consider, our WR's are better run blockers than pass catchers and I think you will see several of them sent packing this off season at the expense of AD's numbers.

In the end, Nope to the EXPUKER, yup to Bowe.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast