Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We have 2 great picks drafted in the first round (Lt and SS) and a decent CB in the 3rd.
    I would like to remind everyone that we had the 3rd overall pick and selected the best LT in the draft. Not exactly a rocket science. However, I will agree that this draft was a solid one that provided us with great depth in a few areas. The problem is that same "genius" created our great lack of talent. Wright is a decent at best WR, one that wouldn't start on most teams and might not make others. I will give Spielmen credit if he goes out in the next draft and fixes our true issues.

WR - We need to sign and draft 2 WRs
    DT - We need to draft a DT... I would like to get one of the true studs in the first round.
    FS - We need to draft an upgrade to Raymond or atleast a backup.

I believe the genius drafting before this year was Childress, not Spielman.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    It was a great draft.

Only time will tell how great.

Duplicating success is success, with that being said we have to have another good draft.
    +1
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It very well should be the best draft we have had in years considering the record we had last year was right there with the worst we have ever had. This draft looked better because we finally hit on a few players when we are used to getting a good 1st rounder and not much else.
    Teams th
    at are successful are teams that hit on draft choices year after year and not just when they pick at the top of the draft once. The Packers have had as many as six rookies on the field this year and still kick our asses with them and those rookies were later in the round picks. I feel the two teams that finished behind us last year improved their teams more dramatically than we did and the one who traded up looks to have gotten a bigger boost too. Y

es, this was a good draft. I am happy with the players they have, but damn, they didn't invent the wheel. If they continue to do it year over year then we can give them a pat on the back but right now they just did their job one year. The real question is whether the talent they have brought in over the last few years is good enough to form a base for an elite team that can win a SB or whether they are a nice group that can challenge for a division title but not break that glass ceiling we keep hitting our heads on.
    Thank you...
    Easier to look good when you have the 3rd best draft pick in every round.
    Perhaps that doesn't compute to you all but I'll hold out to see what he does with our picks this year. My guess is the same shit he was doing before. Find a couple of defensive player but whiff on offense.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Thank you...
    Easier to look good when you have the 3rd best draft pick in every round.
    Perhaps that doesn't compute to you all but I'll hold out to see what he does with our picks this year. My guess is the same shit he was doing before. Find a couple of defensive player but whiff on offense.
    I don't buy that. It is easier IMHO to mess up an early draft pick than a late one because the expectations are higher. Picking somebody in the top ten who turns out to be a bust or even just OK is a failure, and it happens to a couple teams every year. How did Kuechly turn out this year? Or Gilmore?

And you also keep ignoring the movement in the draft - something that was done very well. Had we just sat on our picks and drafted BPA every time I could see where you are coming from. But we targeted certain players and moved around to get them at the best value. Isn't that what you keep saying we should be doing with the QB position? We did it very well at other positions of need.

I agree that I want to see him duplicate the success, and I get that you don't have faith that he can do it again. But that doesn't take away from the fact that he did very well this year. Maybe he was a one year wonder, maybe not. But it was still a good draft and like it or not Spielman deserves some credit for it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    To be fair he did look pretty good in the practices in TC. I understand it isn't a game but he did show promise.
    I remember Jackson & a other players that looked damn good in TC too. How did that pan out again?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    It was a good draft. Unfortunately some people must believe that is the only thing the GM does.

How many here though this was the best FA ever? Not to many I'll bet.

Being GM means more than the draft. Trading our 3rd to a 4th wasn't genius either. If it was, then many of us here are geniuses.

Being GM also takes making good FA acquisitions, good FA trades & being able to retain the good players you have.

He totally botched the handling of Harvin during pre-season & now it's blowing up in his face. Had he worked out some type of extension earlier this season, we wouldn't be seeing Harvin as disgruntled as he is now. Instead Spielman was working on an extension for Loadholt so fans could continue to enjoy watching him give up sacks & rack up penalties.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It was a good draft. Unfortunately some people must believe that is the only thing the GM does.

How many here though this was the best FA ever? Not to many I'll bet.

Being GM means more than the draft. Trading our 3rd to a 4th wasn't genius either. If it was, then many of us here are geniuses.

Being GM also takes making good FA acquisitions, good FA trades & being able to retain the good players you have.

He totally botched the handling of Harvin during pre-season & now it's blowing up in his face. Had he worked out some type of extension earlier this season, we wouldn't be seeing Harvin as disgruntled as he is now. Instead Spielman was working on an extension for Loadholt so fans could continue to enjoy watching him give up sacks & rack up penalties.
    I don't think Harvin's frustration stems from contract issues. I think it stems from on field issues. IMHO had he signed an extension he would be just as frustrated if not more because things on game day aren't going the way he wants them to. I could be wrong, but then again so could you. I don't think that this is something we can say was "botched" by the GM without more information.

And I have been very vocal about the shitty free agency - that isn't what this thread is about though. It isn't titled "2012 Free Agency... one to remember?"...

And when news came out a few weeks before the draft that Spielman was open to trading down, there was a LOT of negative comments on here about how it was a bad idea and we need to stay put and not miss out. There were also a lot of other comments about how a trade would be great but that was easier said than done. When draft day came, we traded down ONE spot and picked up an extra pick as a result, so Cleveland could pick a player that we didn't want. That means we either played another team(s) against Cleveland to get them to panic and move up or we completely bluffed them. Either way it WAS a good move, and not one that ANYBODY on this forum could have pulled off, despite your claim otherwise.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    We have 2 great picks drafted in the first round (Lt and SS) and a decent CB in the 3rd.
    I would like to remind everyone that we had the 3rd overall pick and selected the best LT in the draft. Not exactly a rocket science. However, I will agree that this draft was a solid one that provided us with great depth in a few areas. The problem is that same "genius" created our great lack of talent. Wright is a decent at best WR, one that wouldn't start on most teams and might not make others. I will give Spielmen credit if he goes out in the next draft and fixes our true issues.

WR - We need to sign and draft 2 WRs
    DT - We need to draft a DT... I would like to get one of the true studs in the first round.
    FS - We need to draft an upgrade to Raymond or atleast a backup.
    Agree, especially on the FS point. I think you will see us go for Motta or Evans in the 4th round if they are there.

On a side note, been gone for a spell. What is your assessment of our boy Everson now?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I am in complete agreement that this is our best draft in many, many years. I'm not buying the ho hum dismissal that Spielman took the best LT with #3 pick. He could have made the wrong decision with the pick too.

As frustrated as I've been this year watching our WR crew, I realize that Rome was not built in a day. Meaning, this Team has 9 wins, and has exceeded my expectations in spite of a WR corp that has a severe lack of playmakers.

Good thread, and good post to get it started.

Happy Holidays y'all!
    Excellent post my friend. Still say it would have been interesting to see Childs grow this year. For the life of me I can't figure out why they took so long to get Wright some reps.

Its pretty much gone unnoticed by most that he has maintained double digit avg. 5 receptions along with 9 or 10 targets against the Texans might be an indicator he is figuring out how to get in and out of his breaks.

I really think that we will look to both the FA and Draft to fix our WR issues. I would love to see Bowe added. Mostly because he fits the age/year group of the team and I read a comparison between him and V-Jax (Who I am a huge fan of). Additionally, this draft has some real nice depth in the first 3 rounds when it comes to WR's who can run the part of the route tree I think we are missing (4, 5, 6, and 7 routes) which Bowe can do as well.

Just in case, I've started to look at some options if Percy isn't resigned, but again, I think Jarius will help in that are. Some candidates are: Denard Robinson (QB coming in as a WR/Freaky fast, can throw, run and catch), Stedman Bailey (Very productive WR built like a RB).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I think this was the best draft I have seen from the Vikings in many, many years.

I laugh whenever someone says that our #1 pick wasn't rocket science. No, it wasn't. But how quickly some forget that we traded down from the #3 to the #4 spot, still got the guy we were obviously targeting, and the extra picks from that trade allowed us to trade back up and get Smith. THAT was a pretty damn good move.

Spielman's draft this year was amazing. Wish his free agency would have been better, but if we had to whiff on one or the other, I would rather have the better draft.
    Excellent post my friend.

One comment, I think he has a good record when it comes to FA's especially when you consider that last year he didn't have a unlimited checkbook to spend with.

Lets see if he can land a guy like Bowe (gonna get V-jax type money) to put a Vet bandaid on our WR corps now that the stadium deal is done.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast