Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

2012 Draft... one to remember?

We can look at many reasons for the Vikings sitting at 9-6 facing playoffs with a win next week. Is it the improved defense? Is it AP running for 2000 yards? Coaching? Playcalling? Depth? THey all play a factor, but my thought, it's all in the draft.

For the first time in recent memory, we have multiple impact players drafted NOT as our first player.

Traditionally, we have had good luck with our first round pick, but faltered with most everything else. The difference between teams like the Packers or Pats to us, is that they hit with late round picks.

Well, Looking back, this might be our best draft in the last 10 years when it comes to immediate impact.

1- Matt Kalil.
    No real explanation needed. Impact player on day one. Will probably go to the pro bowl, is one of the top few LT in the league, and he's just a rookie. Helps our pass protection, and is actually pretty good at run blocking

2- Harrison Smith.
    He might be our biggest difference maker in this draft. He's wreaking havoc in the secondary. I noticed a few weeks ago, that alot of receivers seem more than willing to slide after catching the ball deep over the middle, because they know Smith will light them up. 2 pick-sixes, huge hits, really solidified our secondary

3- Josh Robinson
    Has started 6 games, and has a lot of playing time this year. Statistics-wise, it's nothing truly special, but he's having quietly a very good year. He's a scary-fast kid, who's developing good ball skills, and learning the game quickly. I'm excited to see how he pans out.

4- Jarius Wright
    Glad he got a break, because we need this kid. He's a mini-percy, smaller, faster guy who has had a few catches every game and made the most of it. I wish we got him involved earlier, that way he could be making a bigger impact for us right now. SHould be a good player to have next season.

5- Rhett Ellison
    Solid depth player. Has been effective at both fullback and TE, I truly don't think we lose out on much when Carlson or Felton has to take a breather.

6- Greg CHilds
    Was looking real good until knee injuries took him to IR. I wish the kid the best, and hope to see him next season for us.

7- Robert Blanton
    Blah(nton) Nothing special here, was a depth player who hasn't done really anything for us. Has played in 13 games, but could be the case of "no news is good news" I honestly haven't noticed him much, which I suppose is good

8- Blair Walsh
    I was really down on this pick after the draft, but boy he proved me wrong. Our #2 MVP this season behind AP. Dude is a machine. Only missed two kicks (two blocks), an 9/9 on 50+ field goals.

9- Audie Cole
    Was drafted as a development guy, is currently on our active roster, and has been activated for 5 games. He had a couple really good plays in preseason, but a long way to go.

10- Trevor Guyton
    Cut

So of our 10 picks, we have 5 starters, 3 Pro-bowl caliber rookies, 1 great depth player for us and 1 guy we lost to injuries who was looking promising. A couple more drafts like that, and we coudl be be a powerhouse for years to come.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    And yet some people want to give Spielman no credit.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post

6- Greg CHilds
    Was looking real good until knee injuries took him to IR. I wish the kid the best, and hope to see him next season for us.
    I'm not sure how this claim can be made since he never played a single down in a single game for us pre-season or regular season. He got injured in an intra squad scrimmage during TC.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm not sure how this claim can be made since he never played a single down in a single game for us pre-season or regular season. He got injured in an intra squad scrimmage during TC.
    To be fair he did look pretty good in the practices in TC. I understand it isn't a game but he did show promise.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    But he was looking good in camp. Lets not forget, thats what camp is for, to see how they look.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    We have 2 great picks drafted in the first round (Lt and SS) and a decent CB in the 3rd.
    I would like to remind everyone that we had the 3rd overall pick and selected the best LT in the draft. Not exactly a rocket science. However, I will agree that this draft was a solid one that provided us with great depth in a few areas. The problem is that same "genius" created our great lack of talent. Wright is a decent at best WR, one that wouldn't start on most teams and might not make others. I will give Spielmen credit if he goes out in the next draft and fixes our true issues.

WR - We need to sign and draft 2 WRs
    DT - We need to draft a DT... I would like to get one of the true studs in the first round.
    FS - We need to draft an upgrade to Raymond or atleast a backup.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

2012 Draft... one to remember?

I am in complete agreement that this is our best draft in many, many years. I'm not buying the ho hum dismissal that Spielman took the best LT with #3 pick. He could have made the wrong decision with the pick too.

As frustrated as I've been this year watching our WR crew, I realize that Rome was not built in a day. Meaning, this Team has 9 wins, and has exceeded my expectations in spite of a WR corp that has a severe lack of playmakers.

Good thread, and good post to get it started.

Happy Holidays y'all!

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think this was the best draft I have seen from the Vikings in many, many years.

I laugh whenever someone says that our #1 pick wasn't rocket science. No, it wasn't. But how quickly some forget that we traded down from the #3 to the #4 spot, still got the guy we were obviously targeting, and the extra picks from that trade allowed us to trade back up and get Smith. THAT was a pretty damn good move.

Spielman's draft this year was amazing. Wish his free agency would have been better, but if we had to whiff on one or the other, I would rather have the better draft.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It very well should be the best draft we have had in years considering the record we had last year was right there with the worst we have ever had. This draft looked better because we finally hit on a few players when we are used to getting a good 1st rounder and not much else.
    Teams th
    at are successful are teams that hit on draft choices year after year and not just when they pick at the top of the draft once. The Packers have had as many as six rookies on the field this year and still kick our asses with them and those rookies were later in the round picks. I feel the two teams that finished behind us last year improved their teams more dramatically than we did and the one who traded up looks to have gotten a bigger boost too. Y

es, this was a good draft. I am happy with the players they have, but damn, they didn't invent the wheel. If they continue to do it year over year then we can give them a pat on the back but right now they just did their job one year. The real question is whether the talent they have brought in over the last few years is good enough to form a base for an elite team that can win a SB or whether they are a nice group that can challenge for a division title but not break that glass ceiling we keep hitting our heads on.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    It was a great draft.

Only time will tell how great.

Duplicating success is success, with that being said we have to have another good draft.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast