Thread: 2012 Crystal Ball
01-23-2012, 06:23 AM #11
Much like last year, I expect them to try & plug holes with no name players from other teams practice squads & castaways.
"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"
01-23-2012, 08:45 AM #12
- Join Date
- Apr 2004
- Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
- Blog Entries
If I had to pick a number, I would say 9 wins tops. And there is NO WAY we go 3-13 again.
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM #13
1) The McNabb experiment failed, clearly one of the biggest miscalculations in 2011 (wish they would've called me!). He's gone.
2) McKinnie showing up at near 400lbs, then cutting him...gotta think even overweight, he was a better option than we had. Still, I can understand Frazier's POV on this one. Vikes need to address LT, desperately...I'm confident it will be done.
3) Cook strangling his girlfriend and being suspended. Can't foresee this one...I'm sure he sold the Brass a bill of goods; they bought it. Secondary is a serious issue too...jury is out.
4) Virtually every marginally decent DB went down with injury. Whatever they do, odds are on our side this won't happen again.
5) A coaching staff with no off season, clearly could not make adjustment in the second half of games early. With several leads in games, the Vikes saw their opponents make adjustments at halftime, which, we didn't adjust to real-time. BTW, did I mention McNabb sucks? Call it failure to execute by the players, failure to adjust real-time by the coaches, or a combination thereof, good teams don't make these mistakes...consistently, over a course of several games. I expect this to improve dramatically.
6) A rookie QB. Yes, Dalton and Newton succeeded, even Yates, to a certain point. Newton is clearly better than the rest, Dalton and Yates have much better supporting casts. No excuse, I hear ya...but, I expect improvement from Ponder too.
7) Adrian Peterson ACL...he is a driven man, I have faith that he will be back early.
8) WR position...seriously, how much worse can it possibly get?
9) I believe Kyle Rudolph will emerge bigtime. He and Percy in the middle of the field is going to be fun to watch develop.
10) 10 Draft picks to work with...given our position, and the volume of picks, I think a handful of us could succeed running the draft for the Vikes. So, ridiculous as it may sound, I have faith that professionals getting paid to do it will succeed.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
As a matter of fact, I do know
I want them to win and dominate as much as anyone but there is no way we sniff 8 wins unless there are some serious QB injuries in our division.
The Pack,Lions and Bears all have more talent than we will have and the top end in the division is probably 2-6 which is a two game bump from this year. That would mean we need to go 7-1 out of the division to get to nine.
Realistically we are looking at a top end of 6-10 if we get a favorable draw out of the division.
01-23-2012, 12:36 PM #15Ring of Fame
- Join Date
- Jan 1970
But that's just my observation. hopefully with improved talent and a focus on harvin we'll be better on offense. Defensively I think we're looking at a rebuilding effort for the next two years or so...
01-23-2012, 12:45 PM #16Asst. Coach
- Join Date
- Sep 2011
I don't think the Vikings are a better team than their record indicates. However I do agree the margin between winning and losing and talent between teams isn't huge.
One simple improvement will set the team on the path toward success.
Finding an O-line, backs who can pick up the blitz, and an offensive scheme that can protect Ponder should lead to a more consistant offense as well as giving the defense more rest and the opportunity to play with a lead and be more aggressive instead of defensive.
What separated Dalton from Ponder was, Dalton had a very good O-line with time to throw.
Ponder got beat up and regressed a little toward the end of the season.
All I realisticly hope for is steady improvement and positive indications of a robust future by the end of next season. 6-8 wins with momentum toward the end of the season would be positive at this point.
Also, give us a new stadium and I think we could attract better coaches as well.
10 wins seems like a pipe dream.
Who are the ten teams we are going to beat?
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM #17Ring of Fame
- Join Date
- Jan 1970
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM #18Starter
- Join Date
- Mar 2009
If, for some reason they addressed the gigantic needs in the OLine, Defense (mainly the backfield) and WR, the vikes might have a fighting chance to beat out the bears for third in the North with a bright future.
01-23-2012, 03:37 PM #19
I don't feel like we are as bad a team as many around here do.
We definitely had an awful season, but we are still not in that terrible of shape.
My worry on offense is mostly Ponder, I still do not have faith that he make all the "big boy" throws you need from quarterbacks today. His arm strength is just too damn iffy for me. I do think he has solid pocket presence and is smart though and can maybe be a pretty good quarterback, but I am definitely not sold yet.
We obvioulsy need to address the offensive line and maybe add a playmaker, but with the plethora of picks we should be able to at least do one of these if not both.
On defense, I am not as concerned with talent as I am with scheme and players knowing where they are supposed to be. I honestly do not know if any secondary in the history of the game was out of position or as confused as ours was on a regular basis. Our corners constantly release guys when they think they have help and there is nobody there. Our safeties often seem to not know what zone they are supposed to be in or if they are supposed to pick up a release. And when our LBs drop into coverage they often share a zone with someone and that clearly is not supposed to be happening.
Hopefully Williams' experience in the C2 can help teach these players where they are supposed to be. Hopefully, with the draft and FA we can add some talent in the secondary and depth/talent at LB and DE and we could be a VASTLY improved defense.
All that said ... I think the Packers are WAY out of our league right now and the Lions could be moving that way.
I call us 8-8 at best, but that would be very nice in my opinion.
01-23-2012, 04:35 PM #20Rookie
- Join Date
- Oct 2011
LOL I bet half the people thinking we are winning more then 6 games next season were saying the same thing last year. What do you think has changed? We have the same idiot as HC. A new DC, so we have to give him at least a year to get his feet wet right (the excusses will start soon). And a GM that got promoted for being a main sorce of the problem. We havent cleaned house like you are supposed to. We still have limp armed BoyWonder throwing the ball. Unless ofc we draft RG3 which I doubt since Ponder is Spielmans hand picked boy.