2010 Vikings: What the Film Revealed

I am certain that this one will draw some reaction.....

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: 2010 Vikings: What the Film Revealed

Good read.

I think the author has some good points. It all starts in the trenches. Both the offensive and defensive lines were subpar.

I still think JA is a dominant pass rusher. He started slow but finished with 11 sacks, good for 10th in the nfl(10 came in the final 9 games). He also had 2int, 1 for a td. A fumble forced and fumble recovered, and 8passdef. None of the players with more sacks filled the stat sheet like JA.
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statis ticCategory=SACKS&season=2010&seasonType=REG&exper ience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

lol. Allen had 8 pass deflections...

Only Hussein Abdullah(10) and Asher Allen(9) had more on the Vikes.

delviking is offline Starter

and looking the top 5 are all OLB in a 3-4 who but only the number 5 or 6 had any deflections the deflections mostly came by Linemen who have guys almost twice there size on them while the normally free running Backers have so few.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Wanna know what my film showed?

1) Almost no deflections from our Safeties. That shows they helped to erase zero plays

2) No push from our DTs. Allen and Edwards. Provided constant pressure from the outsides but the QB was able to step up way too often.

3) Lbs filling the wrong gaps. EJ, This means you

4) Safeties taking terrible angles or completely missing lanes to fill. Madon't was the worst safety in football last year.

5) Qb play was abysmal

Defense played very well but offense was so bad, it dragged our defense down.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1091669

Thanks for the read my friend, however, I don't think this cat watched any tape on the Vikings.

My film study is pretty close to what my good friend Kevon came up with......

Areas that sucked.......

DT Play - Absolutely horrendous when it came to pocket pressure/collapse. QB's were allowed to step up and around the outside edge rushers.

Not sure how he says Phat Pat was still dominant in stopping the run. By comparrison, last couple of years, we sucked at it.

DE Play - JA was caught upfield way to many times rushing the passer when he should have been playing the run. That left our LB'rs and S's asses hanging out there trying to not only re-seal that edge, but to take on extra blockers (pulling G's/TE's) and make the tackle as well. Hack on the S's all you want, but they just aren't gonna look good trying to take on G's and TE's.

OL Play. Very inconsistent, mostly because of all the rotations that happened because of injuries this year.

QB Play. Not enough rollouts/bootlegs. QB was like a statue in the pocket.

WR Play. Without a true "Possesion" reciever to work the short to intermediate zones, none of the other recievers could get open on a consistent basis. For the WCO to be effective, you need all the pieces on the field and clicking. None of them were on the field long enough to click.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092031
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1091669

Thanks for the read my friend, however, I don't think this cat watched any tape on the Vikings.

My film study is pretty close to what my good friend Kevon came up with......

Areas that sucked.......

DT Play - Absolutely horrendous when it came to pocket pressure/collapse. QB's were allowed to step up and around the outside edge rushers.

Not sure how he says Phat Pat was still dominant in stopping the run. By comparrison, last couple of years, we sucked at it.

DE Play - JA was caught upfield way to many times rushing the passer when he should have been playing the run. That left our LB'rs and S's asses hanging out there trying to not only re-seal that edge, but to take on extra blockers (pulling G's/TE's) and make the tackle as well. Hack on the S's all you want, but they just aren't gonna look good trying to take on G's and TE's.

OL Play. Very inconsistent, mostly because of all the rotations that happened because of injuries this year.

QB Play. Not enough rollouts/bootlegs. QB was like a statue in the pocket.

WR Play. Without a true "Possesion" reciever to work the short to intermediate zones, none of the other recievers could get open on a consistent basis. For the WCO to be effective, you need all the pieces on the field and clicking. None of them were on the field long enough to click.

I certainly agree with your and Kevon's assessment. The comment regarding drawing some reaction was due to the Noodle and JA comments in the article which were hotly contested in other threads.

I thought that we werent good enough on the DL or in the secondary (specifically the safeties). I thought that like you mentioned JA was just rushing the passer for the first half of the year and was exploited often in the run game and was inneffective in the first half of the season pressuring the QB. I still maintain however that he is an effective pass rusher and was a bit off form this year due to his wedding and the long season in 09.

Ive been on the same track with the OL's poor execution lack of consistent receiver play as you all have been. I would love to see how Musgrave will change the blocking scheme as well as the overall offensive plan. I am encouraged based on the type of players he had worked with in Atlanta and see many comparisons between our roster and theirs.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1092064
    Ive been on the same track with the OL's poor execution lack of consistent receiver play as you all have been. I would love to see how Musgrave will change the blocking scheme as well as the overall offensive plan. I am encouraged based on the type of players he had worked with in Atlanta and see many comparisons between our roster and theirs.
    Good stuff slav.

I went ahead and looked at him pretty close (and posted the stuff in a few threads). Most tend to look at the Falcons, but remember, he was just the QB coach there.

I tended to look at what he did when he was a coordinator (Deadskins/Jags). Anyway, something I found interesting regardless of the team, was the size of the Centers...

Atlanta.
    Hawley 6'3" 297
    McClure 6'1" 296

Deadskins
    Rabac 6'4" 295

Jags
    Meester 6'3 300

Maybe he won't try to get rid of our two lightwieghts.

Vikes
    Cooper 6'2" 291
    Sullivan 6'4" 301
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092305
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1092064
    Good stuff slav.

I went ahead and looked at him pretty close (and posted the stuff in a few threads). Most tend to look at the Falcons, but remember, he was just the QB coach there.

I tended to look at what he did when he was a coordinator (Deadskins/Jags). Anyway, something I found interesting regardless of the team, was the size of the Centers...

Atlanta.
    Hawley 6'3" 297
    McClure 6'1" 296

Deadskins
    Rabac 6'4" 295

Jags
    Meester 6'3 300

Maybe he won't try to get rid of our two lightwieghts.

Vikes
    Cooper 6'2" 291
    Sullivan 6'4" 301
    I think I am going to do a little digging to see where those offenses ranked although I believe someone else posted it elsewhere.

The only change I would definitely like to see is turning our big guys lose to man block and maul the opposition rather than the ZB scheme. I know that ATL runs this etc but in the comments after Musgraves hire he did say he was open to whatever scheme puts his players in the best position to execute.

If they keep the ZB scheme I am with others on here who feel big Mac and Load should come in much lighter. If not burritos for everyone and lets go get after it!!