V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 2008 Team Capsule: Minnesota Vikings

Interesting

I don't think Berrian got 71 receptions by just being a deep threat

But he won't be what alot expect due to his money

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Berrian is a big improvement over Williamson just by the fact that he can't be that bad.. so to grade the WR corps as improving from 1.4 to 1.5 show how little the writer knows.

Defense/Special Teams - This is a bizarre unit. The defense does not make a ton of big plays.
    and how many TDs did the D get last year?
    *note to writer... remove head from arse before making such statements
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Berrian is a big improvement over Williamson just by the fact that he can't be that bad.. so to grade the WR corps as improving from 1.4 to 1.5 show how little the writer knows.

Defense/Special Teams - This is a bizarre unit. The defense does not make a ton of big plays.
    and how many TDs did the D get last year?
    *note to writer... remove head from arse before making such statements
    I was about to quote that myself.
    We have a ballhawking team, maybe he didn't watch the giants game?
    Oh there were no big defensive plays in that game..

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

Of course, if they brought in a Devin Johnson or Malcom Wilson in the draft, then we might be on to something.
    I didnt know Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly got married recently and took their wife's name
    what a douche bag this writer is, doesnt even know the players in the draft

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Jimmymeboy is offline Starter

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    Of course, if they brought in a Devin Johnson or Malcom Wilson in the draft, then we might be on to something.
    I didnt know Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly got married recently and took their wife's name
    what a douche bag this writer is, doesnt even know the players in the draft
    And some how this clown has completely left Sidney Rice out of the mix!
    What a putz :P
    He grades our receivers a 1.4 without factoring in Jackson's inexperience and what a nice contribution Rice made as a rookie! >

AndyG is offline Waterboy

Hey guys. I wrote part of the column in question here...otherwise known as the "bag of douche" as it were.

I replied to most of what was written. I appreciate the interest! I'll just copy my response here.

MF - My bashing of Berrian is certainly in order, especially when his price tag is taken into account. He had one 100 yard game and only 10 over 50. Having actually watched Bears games, they constantly ran him on out patterns. His role was to stretch the field. He’s not a #1 wide out, and they are paying him like one. It was a bad signing and the offense is no better than it was last year.

I will say I agree with you about Rice. The silver lining to the Berrian signing was that it could open up holes for Rice. Four TD’s (!!!) aside, Rice has plenty to prove, but I’m anxious to see him make a jump.

No one has talked more about the workload toll on RB’s than I have. I’m a student of FFO’s studies on the subject. You want to avoid getting your RB 370 or more carries. I like to see my RB’s hit 300-325. I’m all for resting and spelling backs when it’s appropriate. But you need AP to get his game going. He should be looking at 20 carries a game.

Daw - Ack. Dyslexia. It’s bad. Sorry about that. Fixed now. At least I didn’t say Al Gore was running for the Niners. I’m still better than Gumbel…that’s what matters.

Doug - I think AP can beat the 8, 9 and 10 man boxes. He is that good. Just needs to stay healthy.

PurplePride.org Fans - Hey guys. You seem nice.

The "FFO" was supposed to be FO for Football Outsiders...good publication there.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]2008 Team Capsule: Minnesota Vikings[/size]

rotorob.com

What Went Right.........

This link does not work for me

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"AndyG" wrote:
    Hey guys. I wrote part of the column in question here...otherwise known as the "bag of douche" as it were.

I replied to most of what was written. I appreciate the interest! I'll just copy my response here.

MF - My bashing of Berrian is certainly in order, especially when his price tag is taken into account. He had one 100 yard game and only 10 over 50. Having actually watched Bears games, they constantly ran him on out patterns. His role was to stretch the field. He’s not a #1 wide out, and they are paying him like one. It was a bad signing and the offense is no better than it was last year.

I will say I agree with you about Rice. The silver lining to the Berrian signing was that it could open up holes for Rice. Four TD’s (!!!) aside, Rice has plenty to prove, but I’m anxious to see him make a jump.

No one has talked more about the workload toll on RB’s than I have. I’m a student of FFO’s studies on the subject. You want to avoid getting your RB 370 or more carries. I like to see my RB’s hit 300-325. I’m all for resting and spelling backs when it’s appropriate. But you need AP to get his game going. He should be looking at 20 carries a game.

Daw - Ack. Dyslexia. It’s bad. Sorry about that. Fixed now. At least I didn’t say Al Gore was running for the Niners. I’m still better than Gumbel…that’s what matters.

Doug - I think AP can beat the 8, 9 and 10 man boxes. He is that good. Just needs to stay healthy.

The "FFO" was supposed to be FO for Football Outsiders...good publication there.
    It's my understanding that this article is written from a fantasy perspective, and not a true Vikings one. I don't need Berrian to put up 100 yard games. I need him to catch the ball, unlike the guy who was previously our #1. 71 catches from him is plenty in order to open up our running game. Money-wise, I could care less. We are paying him to be a #1, and he is the best receiver on our team. Saying he is not an upgrade over Williamson is just stupid. A good signing.

Are you a Vikes fan or a Peterson fan? The numbers show that Peterson was more effective when splitting time with Taylor. When AD asked Emmitt Smith how to go from great to legendary, Smith said "Learn How to Block." That is how you ensure that a coach will not take you out of the game. Peterson has not learned how to block well yet, and Taylor is an extremely capable back who deserves a lot of credit for his part in making us the best rushing team in the league. A fresh Taylor is still better than a tired Peterson. I also believe that Peterson was able to remain so explosive because of our ability to spell frequently with another capable back. Without Taylor, Peterson doesn't have the year he had in 2007.

Peterson cannot beat 8,9, and 10 man boxes. He had the chance to and didn't last year. It has nothing to do with his health. At some point an offense needs to pass to keep the defense honest. My ideal Vikings offense would run it down the D's throat before burning them with playaction.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"AndyG" wrote:

an amazing line right there, and im glad to say i did comment you, nice dyslexia!
    what your basically saying is BB=troy williamson because our offense is no better than last year, kinda pathetic point you got going on there

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast