Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

2008 stadium funding

http://www.kare11.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=271079

NFL officials got a pretty clear answer Monday to their questions about support for public financing of a new Minnesota Vikings football stadium: Not in 2008.

Gov. Tim Pawlenty, House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher and Senate Majority Leader Larry Pogemiller sent that message in separate, private meetings with league officials at the Capitol. The team enlisted the NFL in its quest for a new $954 million stadium complex on the Metrodome site in downtown Minneapolis.
    "Unlikely," said Kelliher, the most powerful Democrat in the House.
    State leaders have their own worries right now, with a $373 million deficit projected by mid-2009 and gnawing questions about the state of Minnesota's transportation infrastructure after the fatal Interstate 35W bridge collapse in August. They're also getting complaints about rising property taxes and school funding.
    The Republican governor also dismissed stadium talk ahead of his afternoon meeting with league officials.

"We've got other priorities right now," Pawlenty said.

Fell free to delete this if it has already been posted. I didn't see it anywhere.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 2008 stadium funding

bastards

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    http://www.kare11.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=271079

NFL officials got a pretty clear answer Monday to their questions about support for public financing of a new Minnesota Vikings football stadium: Not in 2008.

Gov. Tim Pawlenty, House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher and Senate Majority Leader Larry Pogemiller sent that message in separate, private meetings with league officials at the Capitol. The team enlisted the NFL in its quest for a new $954 million stadium complex on the Metrodome site in downtown Minneapolis.
    "Unlikely," said Kelliher, the most powerful Democrat in the House.
    State leaders have their own worries right now, with a $373 million deficit projected by mid-2009 and gnawing questions about the state of Minnesota's transportation infrastructure after the fatal Interstate 35W bridge collapse in August. They're also getting complaints about rising property taxes and school funding.
    The Republican governor also dismissed stadium talk ahead of his afternoon meeting with league officials.

"We've got other priorities right now," Pawlenty said.

Fell free to delete this if it has already been posted. I didn't see it anywhere.
    Pawlenty says we've ot other priorites right now.
    THANK YOU!
    Brightest thing said by a politician in quite awhile.
    As much as I want a new Vikes Stadium ASAP, Minnesota has alot of holes and problems they need to deal with in the Budget without spending half a billion on a stadium.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I still don't understand why Zygi can't find enough investors to put up the dough to own the stadium outright...it worked for Kraft and the Pats.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

The way to do it is following the Cleveland model. Take an area that is depressed and near water. Build a baseball stadium, a football stadium, a museum, and a concert hall, and a park with trees and ski trails, with lots of parking, all in the same area.
    Make sure to leave lots of room for businesses and high-priced condos to spring up.

The legislature will contribute tax money to the project if it will definitely boost tax revenues. A football stadium by itself might help tax revenues. Put all that stuff together and you will definitely boost economic growth and increase tax revenues.

If anybody can provide leadership, it's the Zygi Wilf and the Wilf family. They can and should step up as leaders and propose something big like this.

Go Vikings!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The sad part is if either Red or Wilf would have taken the bull by the horns and built it themselves the way they wanted it, it would have cost them less outright than it ultimately will with the state involved and they would have had full control.

Any time the state is involved in funding a project it ends up being significantly higher than if it were done through the private sector.

sdfrenchy is offline Rookie

This makes me nervous for the Vike's future in Minnesota. Doesn't their lease on the dome run out it 2012? That's only four years away. And the less time left on the lease the cheaper it is to buy out the remainder.

Is there any reason why the Vikings couldn't play in the Gopher's new stadium when it is built? From what I understand it is going to be 55,000 seats but is expandable to 70,000+ in the future. Maybe Wilf could make a deal and pay for the expansion of that stadium?

In Pittsburgh the Steelers and Pitt university share Heinz field. How come Minnesota couldn't figure out a way to do that? I'm sure it's related to everybody wanting to do their own thing so they can have all the concessions, parking, etc. I just hope the Vikings stay in Minnesota forever.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"sdfrenchy" wrote:
    This makes me nervous for the Vike's future in Minnesota. Doesn't their lease on the dome run out it 2012? That's only four years away. And the less time left on the lease the cheaper it is to buy out the remainder.

Is there any reason why the Vikings couldn't play in the Gopher's new stadium when it is built? From what I understand it is going to be 55,000 seats but is expandable to 70,000+ in the future. Maybe Wilf could make a deal and pay for the expansion of that stadium?

In Pittsburgh the Steelers and Pitt university share Heinz field. How come Minnesota couldn't figure out a way to do that? I'm sure it's related to everybody wanting to do their own thing so they can have all the concessions, parking, etc. I just hope the Vikings stay in Minnesota forever.
    It expires in 2011.

Who knows how they'll plan on dealing with this.. just hopefully they figure it out fast

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]State leaders say Vikings stadium is a no-go in '08[/size]

Meeting with three NFL executives, the governor and top legislators cited "other priorities" such as the economy.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: December 04, 2007 – 12:33 AM

State leaders said Monday they almost certainly won't consider plans for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium during the 2008 legislative session....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast