Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: 2008 Perspective on Vikes

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Watch this video and see what you think?
    A lot can be taken from this interview.
    Listen to Dukes' comments and also to Hutch's.

Hutch:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806919be
    IGNORE the first minute of pro bowl chatter, the meat of the video start about a minute in where they start talking about the Vikings.

Some talking points:
    What do you think the 2008 season looks like?
    How do you see others perceiving the Vikings after the 2007 season?
    What did you like or dislike about Hutch's comments?
    What did you like or dislike about Dukes' comments?
    Thanks Snow.

In order:

I think the 2008 seasons looks like a minimum of 10 wins.

I see others perceiving the Vikes are on the verge and that all of the things we've been talking about here, consistent QB play, improved WR play, continued ST contributions, improved pass rush are necessary to get to the Playoffs.

Hutch's comments:
    sounds like a great teammate.
    Complete admiration and respect for AD.
    I disagree that he was giving the "company line" regarding TJack.
    What else should he say?
    Liked his observation about continuity on the line and that he and McKinnie "made great strides" in 2007, and liked what he had to say about Sidney Rice.

Jamie Dukes' comments:
    he kind of annoys me to begin with so I may be biased.
    But, he was clearly trying to get Hutch to say something controversial re: TJack.
    He is not a TJack supporter, at least he wasn't during the season, and thinks the Vikings are crazy.
    Liked that he said the Vikes "are ready" with all of the pro-bowlers...I agree.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I did notice that Hutch switch verbage a bit when talking about TJack versus AD.
    WHen he was talking about AD, he would say "I" or "Matt Birk and myself".
    But when he switched to TJack, he started speaking with the royal "we".
    It seemed to me like he was giving the Vikings company line rather than his own opinion.
    But all in all it was a very positive interview.
    He said all the right things to generate some excitement for the coming year, and I think he genuinely believes most of it. Hutch is obviously a smart guy and comfortable in front of the camera.
    Very nice observation.

I for one don't buy into the whole "Win now" attitude. I see it a bit differently.
    More along the lines of we are seeing the beginings a team like we had back in the days of old when we won all the time no matter who came and went.

Smart drafting, wise spending in FA market allowing us to resign our quality Vets.
    That equates to a "Win all the time" scenario instead of the old mentality of "We better win now cause we will never have good players again" attitude.

Just my opinion of course. Might be a bit skewed by the fact that I am in the heart of a team that doesn't/didn't take that approach (Deadskins) and no thier fans have no future or hope for anything but a poor team for years to come.
    A poor team thhat waxed the floor with us. They are also a team thats has stability. We can't even build a stadium for our team.

You may not believe it but we have once in a life time players who are getting old and I expect to get very old , very fast. Sharper comes to mind, Winfield and Birk as well. Richardson will be gone soon. It's possible tha this team will never see the level of play you have in mind. I fear it will soon have to be dismantled and a rebuilding will take place again.

I feel like the guy in the BK commercials only, they took Qbs off the menu...

"GET ME A QBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!"
    The Redskins are a team that has stability?
    Did you seriously just say that?
    The Redskins are a team of short term free agent contracts, always changing out the guard when the next best thing comes along, just to find themselves courting both the salary cap as well as a .500 record each year.
    They are always changing out pawns but their core players have been with the team sometime...
    You have Moss, Portis and a preety good Oline. Their line backing core and Cbs. However, i was talking more about the Owner and their ability to build stadiums. They just lost their coach.
    They also play in a much harder division than we do. 3 teams from thier division
    are superbowl contenders each year.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I did notice that Hutch switch verbage a bit when talking about TJack versus AD.
    It seemed to me like he was giving the Vikings company line rather than his own opinion.
    He said all the right things to generate some excitement for the coming year, and I think he genuinely believes most of it. Hutch is obviously a smart guy and comfortable in front of the camera.
    Very nice observation.

I for one don't buy into the whole "Win now" attitude. I see it a bit differently.
    More along the lines of we are seeing the beginings a team like we had back in the days of old when we won all the time no matter who came and went.

Smart drafting, wise spending in FA market allowing us to resign our quality Vets.
    That equates to a "Win all the time" scenario instead of the old mentality of "We better win now cause we will never have good players again" attitude.

Just my opinion of course. Might be a bit skewed by the fact that I am in the heart of a team that doesn't/didn't take that approach (Deadskins) and no thier fans have no future or hope for anything but a poor team for years to come.
    A poor team thhat waxed the floor with us. They are also a team thats has stability. We can't even build a stadium for our team.

You may not believe it but we have once in a life time players who are getting old and I expect to get very old , very fast. Sharper comes to mind, Winfield and Birk as well. Richardson will be gone soon. It's possible tha this team will never see the level of play you have in mind. I fear it will soon have to be dismantled and a rebuilding will take place again.

The Redskins are a team that has stability?
    Did you seriously just say that?
    The Redskins are a team of short term free agent contracts, always changing out the guard when the next best thing comes along, just to find themselves courting both the salary cap as well as a .500 record each year.
    They are always changing out pawns but their core players have been with the team sometime...
    You have Moss, Portis and a preety good Oline. Their line backing core and Cbs. However, i was talking more about the Owner and their ability to build stadiums. They just lost their coach.
    They also play in a much harder division than we do. 3 teams from thier division
    are superbowl contenders each year.
    The Redskins have had exactly two stadiums in the modern age of the NFL.
    Robert F Kennedy, which they were in from 1961-1996, and FedEx Field for the past eleven years.
    I am not sure that qualifies the Redskins ownership abilty to build stadiums as better than any other team...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

i cant stand jamie dukes
    dunno why he has his own show, he is less than garbage

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Big C is offline Coordinator

I think we're contenders but we need steady play from the QB. Until we do, we will be playing against 8 men fronts to throttle AP. I personally think TJ will be steadier next year but he needs a go-to reciever in FA. Rice is developing nicely, but we need a WR that can consistently create separation. Eli has Burress, Rothlisberger has Ward, Rivers has Gates, Anderson has Edwards, etc, etc. Most teams with young QBs have a reliable reciever to ease the pressure.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Frostbite is offline Coach

I think we can be one of top NFL NFC Teams this season, but a lot will be riding on our QB play and our overall team performance on offense. Some folks are just going to have to elevate there game and make plays when needed. A lot will be placed on T.Jack again this season. He's going to have to be ready to come in and play his best football to date... and show he's a leader that the offense will gel with.

The inconsistancy must be kept at an absolute minimum and everyone must step up and make the plays in the critical situations....this included the Coaching staff making the right play calls in critical situiations... and having the team up and motivated...ready to play at the higher levels all season.

07 had way to many roller-coaster type ups and downs with individual performances and as a team. When we were high....we were great (Chargers/Giants) when we were low we were awful (Greenbay/Washington) as examples of the two extremes.

Cheers!

Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Very nice observation.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp the concept that players will always come and go.

Do you think fans that have been around since the beginning worried about guys like Page and Eller leaving.
    Sure they did, but now they are worrying about Williams and Williams leaving.

Comeon dude, the point is that if the organization continues to draft wisely, sign thier best players and add a smattering of FA in here and there the TEAM will always be good.

On a side note:
    Do you really think the Deadskins are stable just because they have a new stadium?
    Damn, I want to live in your world.

The issue with respect to getting a stadium has nothing to do with the stability of this organization.
    The Vikings will be stable under the Wilf Ownership.
    It just might not be in MN because of local politics that have nothing to do with football my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

For those who invoked the "Hutch spewed the company line about TJack", if he had said that "Birk and I" have faith in him, you would have read that some on the team didn't have faith in him.

The whole interview told me nothing new that I hadn't seen watching this past year.
    TJack must continue to learn and grow, and that includes as he grows, the coaching staff must put him in the position to make plays.
    This means we have formations where TJack can and is allowed to audible out of plays against the 8 and 9 man fronts to take advantage of the defense, and that said audibles out of those personnel and formation packages can take advantage of the defense.
    We need to improve at all of the receiving positions.
    Rice needs to be on the field every down, and if that means he has to improve as a run blocker, so be it.
    Shiancoe, Mills or someone else needs to step up as a reliable receiving threat at the TE spot.
    We need another WR of hopefully above average ability to replace Butterfingers Williamson, hopefully someone who can be both a deep threat and catch the shorter stuff as well.
    And we still need a better pass rush from the defensive ends to hurry opposing QBs into bad decisions, throws, sacks and turnovers.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"purplepat" wrote:
    For those who invoked the "Hutch spewed the company line about TJack", if he had said that "Birk and I" have faith in him, you would have read that some on the team didn't have faith in him.

The whole interview told me nothing new that I hadn't seen watching this past year.
    TJack must continue to learn and grow, and that includes as he grows, the coaching staff must put him in the position to make plays.
    This means we have formations where TJack can and is allowed to audible out of plays against the 8 and 9 man fronts to take advantage of the defense, and that said audibles out of those personnel and formation packages can take advantage of the defense.
    Rice needs to be on the field every down, and if that means he has to improve as a run blocker, so be it.
    Shiancoe, Mills or someone else needs to step up as a reliable receiving threat at the TE spot.
    We need another WR of hopefully above average ability to replace Butterfingers Williamson, hopefully someone who can be both a deep threat and catch the shorter stuff as well.
    And we still need a better pass rush from the defensive ends to hurry opposing QBs into bad decisions, throws, sacks and turnovers.
    Not really.
    I don't think anybody read into the Birk and I statements to think that others on the team didn't think AD was amazing.

I have a fair amount of experience in interpersonal communication and reading into intent when dealing with people.
    The switch from a personal expression such as "I" to a more formal plural is a pretty common cue when someone is expressing a viewpoint that is externally dictated.
    That doesn't mean that he doesn't have fiath in TJack, it just shows that the Vikings public answer to questions about TJack will be pretty much the same regardless of what player you ask, because they have been encouraged to answer a certain way.
    There are lots of good reasons that the front office wants to promote this opinion - keep morale up, encourage free agent signings, etc...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "purplepat" wrote:

Not really.
    I don't think anybody read into the Birk and I statements to think that others on the team didn't think AD was amazing.

I have a fair amount of experience in interpersonal communication and reading into intent when dealing with people.
    The switch from a personal expression such as "I" to a more formal plural is a pretty common cue when someone is expressing a viewpoint that is externally dictated.
    That doesn't mean that he doesn't have fiath in TJack, it just shows that the Vikings public answer to questions about TJack will be pretty much the same regardless of what player you ask, because they have been encouraged to answer a certain way.
    There are lots of good reasons that the front office wants to promote this opinion - keep morale up, encourage free agent signings, etc...
    Hutch could have just continued with I statements if he really felt it to be true.
    Like..... "I think that TJ will have a heck of a season neck year."
    That would be a comment on a personal level.

But because he said "we," doesn't mean that he doesn't believe it, just makes it seem like he isn't quite as convinced.

For example, if he would have said, "I would bet my life on it that TJ does well," that is a personal statement with some emphasis.
    It is difficult to get the same meaning if he says, "we are betting our lives on him doing well."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12