Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

2008 Minnesota Vikings - Proof we can win it all

I have been pondering this "theory" I have had since the Super Bowl last year. I believe that I am able to make a strong argument and at least prove a few good points. Here goes.

Last year the New York Giants won the Super Bowl. They defeated (in my opinion) one of the best, most stacked teams in the history of the NFL. Not to mention a very well coached team that was CHEATING to boot. Sounds like a team that should never lose, right?

Then you have the New York Giants who we destroyed, let me repeat that, destroyed during the regular season. This Giants team was a total underdog. So how did they beat the almighty Patriots? Defense. Defense. Defense.

This next season the Patriots are still the team to beat, but they have already taken major hits on defense when they lost their 2 starting CB's and have lost one more year to age concerning their already old LB's and safety Rodney Harrison. Not to mention Randy Moss who is now in his mid 30's. Their run game is nothing to brag about, so don't look for a big threat there. That being said, yes they are still the team to beat.

Let's look at who won the SB last year and compare that teams performance in the big game and its players to our very own 2008 Vikings.

The Giants had a good defense, but their offense was nothing that you would expect to find in a Super Bowl.
    Our defense this year should be right up there with the defense of the Giants of last year.

Take a look:

================================================== ==========
    DE's:

NYG - Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck
    MIN - Jared Allen, Ray Edwards, Brian Robison

Edge - Giants

Reason - The Giants had two great DE's with Justin Tuck coming in to make noise, but with the addition of the best DE in the NFL, the Vikings can rival that combination easily. Plus the Vikings have not 1 but 2 superstar DT's who can take more pressure away from our "weaker" DE. Which brings me to my next point...
    DT's:

NYG - Barry Cofield, Fred Robbins
    MIN - Pat Williams, Kevin Williams

Edge - Vikings - By far

Reason - Do I even need to elaborate? The Vikes have the best DT combo in the NFL. Period. Our two big boys will either get double teamed and leave our DE's in one-on-one situations or be ignored and cause plenty of trouble. No question.
    LB's:

NYG - Kawika Mitchell, Antonio Pierce, Reggie Torbor
    MIN - E.J. Henderson, Ben Leber, Chad Greenway

Edge - Even

Reason - I feel that our LB's are right on par with the Giants of last year. Antonio Pierce and E.J. Henderson are both the stars of their respective teams, but Ben Leber has been a playmaker and Greenway is a tackling machine. The Giants LB's did things differently, but still got the job done. This is kind of a push and can go either way. No huge difference in my mind.
    CB's/Safeties

NYG - Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, James Butler, Gibril Wilson
    MIN - Antione Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Darren Sharper, Madieu Williamsm, Tyrell Johnson

Edge - Vikings

Reason - Come on. We got this one by far. Wasn't Aaron Ross a rookie even? We have the most underrated CB that I cant think of in Winfield (who also plays the run and tackles like a 4th LB for us) and we just acquired M. Williams to help us in coverage. From what I understand, our rookie safety this year will play a lot and supposedly be huge for us. I think we win this category with ease.
    Overall Defense - Vikings

Reason - We will have a better run defense than the Giants did and if everyone stays healthy we should have a better pass defense as well. Our rush should be tops in the league and our coverage will only benefit from it.

Still not convinced? Let's check out the Offense

QB's

NYG - Eli Manning
    MIN - Tavaris Jackson

Edge - Giants

Reason - OK, they got us here, BUT, what I am about to ask next is very important - WHAT DID ELI DO IN THE SUPER BOWL? Basically Eli did above average to good all season, but he didn't do anything special in the Super Bowl. This proves my point that as long as Jackson doesn't do anything to cost us the big game, we can win it. Take away Eli's miracle escape and chuck down field to Tyree and you have a mediocre game he played.
    Eli's defense is what allowed the Giants to even stay in this game.
    RB's

NYG - Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Madison Hedgecock
    MIN - Adrian Peterson, Chest Taylor, Thomas Tapeh

Edge - Vikings

Reason - Again, do I need one? Jacobs is a good back, but he is not a big play threat every time he touches the ball. Ahmad Bradshaw is nowhere near Peterson or Taylor as well. Peterson is one of the top 3 backs in the league on anyones list. He is definitely far superior to any back who played in the SB last year. Chester Taylor is forgotten sometimes and can come in and dominate on his own. These two are an amazing combo. Probably best in the league now that Turner is at Atlanta.
    WR's

NYG - Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith, David Tyree
    MIN - Bobby Wade, Sidney Rice, Bernard Berrian, Aundrae Allison

Edge -
    Vikings

Reason - Burress is a great WR and is better than any WR we have. BUT as a team, the Giants don't compare to us. Steve Smith if I remember right didn't do anything special all season long and Amani Toomer was old 2 years ago already. Sidney Rice is our red zone threat and Berrian is a total speed demon who will open our offense up. Burress is not a burner and Toomer is not one anymore either. Bobby Wade in the slot is dangerous as well. It all comes down to the QB though. The talent is there however.
    TE's

NYG - Kevin Boss
    MIN - Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser

Edge - Even

Reason - I know Shockey was on the roster, but he never played so he doesn't get any mention. Boss wasn't anything special, but neither is Shiancoe or Jimmy K. This is a big weak spot for us, but the Giants used a young player who helped them win a SB, so why can't we use 2 Vets?
    OL

NYG -
    David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Shaun O'Hara, Chris Snee, Kareem McKenzie
    MIN - Bryant Mckinnie, Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk, Anthony Herrera, Ryan Cook

Edge - Vikings

Reason - This one was almost even, but then I realized how much better our line is. Cook came around big time for us towards the end of the year and Herrera did as well. This line is solid and should give T-Jack the time he needs as well as our backs.
    Overall Offense - Vikings

Reason - We have more talent. We definitely have more talent. That does not mean we are better though... Keep that in mind. This will all come down to our QB, whoever it maybe. T-Jack now has one full season under his belt and he will be lucky enough to have some pressure relieved due to our amazing RB's and now his new target in Bernard Berrian. We should put out a great offense this year.
    ================================================== ======

So there it is - If the Giants can make a little run and win the SB against a far superior team, why can't we?

The Giants defense made them stand out last year, not their offense. This year our defense is than theirs of last year. As long as T-Jack plays smart ball and even just plays mediocre we should be very tough to beat.

The point of this was to show that a QB isn't always what will win you a SB. Take a look at the year when the Ravens won it with Trent Dilfer. That was all defense.

Barring injuries of course, we have a defense this year. A real defense.

Bottom line - If we make the playoffs (which we should) we could pull off a run similar to the Giants of last year, and follow in their SB foot steps.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Re: 2008 Minnesota Vikings - Proof we can win it all

WR's

NYG - Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith, David Tyree
    MIN - Bobby Wade, Sidney Rice, Bernard Berrian, Aundrae Allison

Edge - Vikings

Reason - Burress is a great WR and is better than any WR we have. BUT as a team, the Giants don't compare to us. Steve Smith if I remember right didn't do anything special all season long and Amani Toomer was old 2 years ago already. Sidney Rice is our red zone threat and Berrian is a total speed demon who will open our offense up. Burress is not a burner and Toomer is not one anymore either. Bobby Wade in the slot is dangerous as well. It all comes down to the QB though. The talent is there however.
    TE's

thats not true.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I don't necessarily agree that the Pats are the team to beat, mainly due to my agreeing with your comments on their aging defense (I truly believe that their three Super Bowl wins in the EARLY 2000s were mainly a product of their DEFENSE and that they won't have the same caliber of defensive play that they did then.
    That said, they will definitely be in the mix but aren't as clear cut favorites as everyone makes them out to be.
    Also, people conveniently forget that they had the LEAST amount of injuries all season long last year and a few key injuries can make just enough of a difference either way (just look at the effect that injuries had on the Colts and the Chargers in the playoffs).

The Colts, Chargers, Jaguars and maybe even the Steelers or Browns will have something to say about who is the AFC representative in the Super Bowl this year for certain.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

The position edges don't mean much in a team game. Think about who would come out on top if you matched up the 2007 Pats vs. the 2007 Giants before the SB, the Pats would wreck the G-Men in most areas, but they still lost.

Interesting nonetheless.

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

Looks good on paper but paper means nothing in the NFL if that were the case the Patriots would have won the superbowl and we would have a couple of rings right now.

soopafreak84 is offline Waterboy

You have way overrated out WR/TE positions.
    Burress is a great WR as you say, and I like our WR core and think it will be much improved but fact is at this point our WR's have proven nothing to this point.
    You can't be serious about Visanthe Shiancoe & Jim Kleinsasser being even.
    Jimmy is the 6th member of the O-line and I have always wished they used him more in the short passing game but Shiancoe was awful last year and was nowhere near $18 mill $7 up front.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the next 41 days to pass and think we have as good a chance as any but I can't back you on the WR/TE spot.

"Don’t take life for granted because tomorrow isn't promise to any of us."
    Kirby Puckett

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

The regular season only matters because it is what gets you into the playoffs.
    Ideally you want to be peaking at the end of the season.
    There will still be hiccups with Tarvaris, but, hopefully a lot less of them.
    The Jints pulled off upset after upset on the road in very tough conditions.
    It was incredible, I enjoyed their ride and I can't stand the Jints.
    There is no reason any team that makes it into the playoff cannot do that if they are playing well and are well coached.
    The Childress coaching is still a question mark, can he pull off the wins when it matters.
    Based on last year it is a no, losing the last few games.
    But, that's a myopic viewpoint not taking other factors into consideration.
    To me, this is the year where the w/l will be more firmly on the shoulders of Childress, because he has his team now.
    Let's see if he can first, make it to the playoffs and second, can he win the coaching chess matches within the playoffs.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I totally disagree with you about the WR corps.

It was pretty cool to watch Eli's transformation as the year went through. They were calling for his head plenty of times here in NYC... ESPECIALLY after the Vikings game.

I think if we give T-Jack a little patience, he could surprise us. I'm looking forward to a great year.

Oh yeah, did I mention we beat the SB champs 41-17 last year?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

A few people think I'm half baked for giving props to our WR's, but let's be honest - Berrian and Rice (if played) can be deadly. Wade is a much better slot than Smith is and I would take either Berrian or Rice over Toomer any day. Burress is still the best WR on either team, but remember that I'm trying to group it together as a team deal. Either way, even if the Giants have the better WR's we are not far behind.

I also agree that this all looks good on paper. I can't defend any of this because no one ever knows what to expect. I am only going by what has happened in the past with our players and as we all know, there is no guarantee about the future, no matter which player you look at.

The biggest point I was trying to make is that the Giants won the SB with mediocre QB play and a bland offense mostly due to the fact their defense played excellent. I'm hoping our defense plays as good as it looks on paper so we too can make it to the big game.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    A few people think I'm half baked ...
    I think you're 100% baked, but that is another issue.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast