Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    davike is offline Team Alumni

Re: 2007 Vikings Schedule is here!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Yup.
    Pretty tough!
    Could be a rough year...but, personally, I like that no one is giving us a chance.
    The big question in my mind is our Offensive Line and specifically, their pass blocking.
    BJ and company never had much time to pass last year!!
    And, then there was the whole team seeming to have the dropsies!!
    And then there was all those BS! offensive pass interference calls!!
    SO, my main point is that if the OLINE plays better in their second season in the new system, even just eliminating the presnap penalties, AND, our defense continues to improve, we might surprise some people, maybe, lots of people!!!
    OK, with that prerequisite, and some decent luck vs. the injury bug, here's my take on the Schedule:

ATL
    We can only hope that Vick will struggle in his first full speed game in Petrino's new system...combined with our Run D, maybe we get a WIN!

@DET
    They are an improving team, but all those new players will take time to gel...if they don't get Calvin, I'll give us the WIN!

@KC
    Last year they lost one of the best FBs in the game (thanks Tony R!) and an OLineman, this year, Shields retires...then they drop Trent Green too?
    I'm hoping our run D and pass rush frazzles their young QB...WIN!

GB
    Boy do we owe them!!!
    Better be a WIN at home!!!!

that would be 4-0 going into the bye...pretty hopeful, eh???

@CHI
    We almost beat them twice last year, it can be done!
    This will be a tough SMASH MOUTH GAME!
    Might come down to special teams...Hester takes one the distance, D'OH!!
    LOSS!

@DAL
    I hate the Boys and TO's big, baby attitude!
    And, it is tough to win at Dallas.

But, if our D steps up to the challenge, I think we can Rattle Romo and get the WIN!

PHI
    If McNabb is healthy, this is a tough all around team, probably a LOSS!

SD
    I really don't see us shutting down LT...that would be like holding him to only 80 yds and one TD.
    Their Defense is pretty tough too...we get our second home LOSS!

@GB
    It is tough to beat Butt Faver at Lamboo...slip sliding into another LOSS!

OAK
    Randy's Hammy and Oakland's porous OLINE give us a WIN!

@NYG
    I hate the Giants too, but Brandon Jacobs is a monster and Eli has to improve eventually...another LOSS!

DET
    Just like the Pack, we better beat them at home in our Dome!!
    WIN!

@SF
    3-9 are F'n Kidding me???
    This team is tougher than people give them credit, their young QB takes a step forward, LOSS!

CHI
    Now its vengeance time...Grossman gets knocked out, Benson gets punished early and often and we come away with a much needed WIN!

WAS
    We've all seen Smoot in action (wow did they overpay!)...one of our young WRs schools him...WIN!

@DEN
    We go into Denver at 9-6, on the cusp of a wildcard spot (maybe our weak Div is within reach?)
    I will be at the game, but DEN might already be locked up and not playing starters...if they don't care and we do, WIN!
    If they need it, LOSS!

I feel good about those predictions...the two big IFs being @DET and @DEN...hopefully putting us around the 8-8 to 10-6 range!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!
    HERE'S TO A HEALTHY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SKOL!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like it....

I would take 9-7

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

davike is offline Team Alumni

I think our record depends mostly on 4 factors as of last year, but some other new problems might pop :.

#1. Our pass D. I think our problem there was up front, I don't think we had enough pass rush. I am hoping that Udeze only had a bad season and will come back this year as the pass rusher we drafted him as. We also have James, Edwards, and Mitchel to throw in. Since we haven't adressed that issue via FA, I am assuming Childress will draft a DE at some point in the draft. I hope we don't take a DE in the first but I won't cry if they do.

#2. O line. Our pass protection needs serious work and our whole right side is suspect. I think that if they protect whoever is back there taking snaps better, then they will win more games.

#3. Penalties. How many games could we pin on penalties? We really need to cut down the penalties before the snap. We can't have the most penalties in the league and still win football games. Penalties are one of the worst game killers in my opinion.

#4. WRs. What good is a QB that doesn't have WRs that catch? I don't think Peyton Manning could have worked with our WRs last year. I would like to get a solid starter at the WR position, but I have confidence that our group of WRs will come out as one of the most under estimated groups in the league. We certainly need to draft WRs. I would like to get a WR in the first round, but many top WRs have come from later rounds and the bust percentage or WRs coming out of the first round is suprisingly high. We just need a couple good solid consistent WRs.

I think if we fixed those problems we could be a fairly good team. I think we need to see some of the younger guys develop more, but I think we will suprise people.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

If you seriously analyze every position on offense it could go either way. There are some big ifs but they could be good ifs. Have a look at the starting roster.

QB- Tarvaris Jackson- Big question mark- We have no clue if he will be good or terrible judging from how much we saw him. If he's not the best thing for the team, Childress and co. will draft a QB.

RB- Chester Taylor- 1000 yard rusher but gets a lot of the load on his shoulders. He should be good for next season judging by his play from last year.

WR- Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson, and Billy McMullen- HUGE IF. Bobby Wade looked good in the slot last year but he is not starting caliber. Troy still has a long way to go as far as his drops go. It should be interesting to see how the draft plays out with our WR corps. A lot of the team success hinged right here but remember.. Philadelphia always did pretty well with below average WR's and that's where Childress came from. Maybe he sees something better out of our current guys. Who knows.

OL- Bryant McKinnie, Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk, Artis Hicks, Marcus Johnson/Ryan cook- The left side is fine. Huge if on the right. I liked what i saw out of Ryan Cook in his limited action. I would love to see us move Johnson to Guard and have Cook try to play tackle this year. Again, it'll be interesting to see how this battle plays out in TC

TE- Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser- Both big ifs. Could be great, could be busts. We all know that from watching Kleinsasser for the last few years.

FB- Tony Richardson- Great fullback but now has some durability issues. Another if.

So as you can see almost our entire offense is an if. We don't really know if any of these guys will be great or terrible. I'm assuming our Defense will be as good as last year with Devonte Edwards, Erasmus James, and Chad Greenway coming back.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    If you seriously analyze every position on offense it could go either way. There are some big ifs but they could be good ifs. Have a look at the starting roster.

QB- Tarvaris Jackson- Big question mark- We have no clue if he will be good or terrible judging from how much we saw him. If he's not the best thing for the team, Childress and co. will draft a QB.

RB- Chester Taylor- 1000 yard rusher but gets a lot of the load on his shoulders. He should be good for next season judging by his play from last year.

WR- Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson, and Billy McMullen- HUGE IF. Bobby Wade looked good in the slot last year but he is not starting caliber. Troy still has a long way to go as far as his drops go. It should be interesting to see how the draft plays out with our WR corps. A lot of the team success hinged right here but remember.. Philadelphia always did pretty well with below average WR's and that's where Childress came from. Maybe he sees something better out of our current guys. Who knows.

OL- Bryant McKinnie, Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk, Artis Hicks, Marcus Johnson/Ryan cook- The left side is fine. Huge if on the right. I liked what i saw out of Ryan Cook in his limited action. I would love to see us move Johnson to Guard and have Cook try to play tackle this year. Again, it'll be interesting to see how this battle plays out in TC

TE- Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser- Both big ifs. Could be great, could be busts. We all know that from watching Kleinsasser for the last few years.

FB- Tony Richardson- Great fullback but now has some durability issues. Another if.

So as you can see almost our entire offense is an if. We don't really know if any of these guys will be great or terrible. I'm assuming our Defense will be as good as last year with Devonte Edwards, Erasmus James, and Chad Greenway coming back.
    why do alot of you guys say you like what you saw of ryan cook.
    he started 2 games at tackle and got lit up by kampman and l.little.
    giving him the reigns next to whichever guard who both played poorly last year scares me immensely.
    both spots were places we could have tried to address in free agency without spending big money on the 2nd teir guys.
    instead they let 2 guys walk so maybe after the draft it's someplace they'll address but alot of those guys got plucked up already.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"bigbadragz" wrote:

why do alot of you guys say you like what you saw of ryan cook.
    he started 2 games at tackle and got lit up by kampman and l.little.
    giving him the reigns next to whichever guard who both played poorly last year scares me immensely.
    both spots were places we could have tried to address in free agency without spending big money on the 2nd teir guys.
    instead they let 2 guys walk so maybe after the draft it's someplace they'll address but alot of those guys got plucked up already.
    We drafted him pretty high so the coaching staff sees something in him. He has the physical tools to play tackle in the NFL being 6'7", big, and with quick feet. I'll have to reserve judgement until we see him start a full season but i'm personally optimistic about it.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I am expecting our Offense to be rather mediocre, but our Defense to keep us in games...The running game should be as good, if not better than last year...especially if we add a home run threat like AP!!!!

And, yeah, eliminating the pre-snap penalties would go a long way toward winning some of those close games!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'll admit that our offseason if filled with ifs.
    I expect some of those ifs to work out, some of the to fail.
    We keep the good ones, thereby improving our team, and replace the bad ones next offseason.
    And the cycle will continue.
    It may not be a fast process.
    But it has a pretty strong end result.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011