Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Are the 2007 Vikings better than the 2006 vikings?

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    I voted worse. We have more talent and less wins. Doesnt matter if they are by 1 or 100 points. We need a HC who knows how to win.
    I actually think we're better than we were last year.
    Not much, but I believe we're about the same on defense and better on offense.
    Our offense has more playmakers (one), and a QB that gives us a chance to move the ball and score.
    Our offensive numbers, other than scoring, aren't terrible.

Of course, we're at 1-3, and our record was better last year.
    But the quality of our team is not the same as the quality of our team's results.
    They're related, not identical.
    I personally believe that a team that repeatedly wins by 100 points is not the same as a team that wins by 1 point.
    Likewise, a team that loses by one score all the time is not the same as a team that loses by multiple scores.
    The Lions lost 9 games last year by by 7 points or less. They finished 3-13. I certainly wouldn't put money on them. I certainly wouldn't put money on this years Vikes either untill they play something that resembles an offense. Unless the other team is favored by 10 and the Vikes are at home.
    I have the Lions at 1-8 in games decided by 7 points or less last year.
    Here's what that says to me - they're better than their 3-13 record might indicate.
    One score games are usually games that could have gone either way.
    This year, they've already matched their 3 wins from last year.

A similar example is the 2005 Packers.
    They finished 4-12, but 2-8 in games decided by one score or less.
    To me that indicates a team that is much closer to 7-9 talent-wise, but got a bunch of bad breaks.
    The next year they finished 8-8.

The Vikes were 3-6 in games decided by 7 points or less last year, and are 0-3 in those games this year.
    To me, this suggests we're much closer to a .500 type team than people are suggesting.
    And yes, if I were a gambling man, I go ahead and bet on the Vikes in these upcoming games.
    I just don't think we're that far away.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    I voted worse. We have more talent and less wins. Doesnt matter if they are by 1 or 100 points. We need a HC who knows how to win.
    Our offense has more playmakers (one), and a QB that gives us a chance to move the ball and score.

But the quality of our team is not the same as the quality of our team's results.
    I personally believe that a team that repeatedly wins by 100 points is not the same as a team that wins by 1 point.
    Likewise, a team that loses by one score all the time is not the same as a team that loses by multiple scores.
    The Lions lost 9 games last year by by 7 points or less. They finished 3-13. I certainly wouldn't put money on them. I certainly wouldn't put money on this years Vikes either untill they play something that resembles an offense. Unless the other team is favored by 10 and the Vikes are at home.
    Here's what that says to me - they're better than their 3-13 record might indicate.

To me that indicates a team that is much closer to 7-9 talent-wise, but got a bunch of bad breaks.

The Vikes were 3-6 in games decided by 7 points or less last year, and are 0-3 in those games this year.
    To me, this suggests we're much closer to a .500 type team than people are suggesting.
    And yes, if I were a gambling man, I go ahead and bet on the Vikes in these upcoming games.
    For your sake, it's a good thing you're NOT a betting man.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

We're definately better talent wise... even at the QB position...

but we'll probably have a worse record because of the youth on offense and a pretty tough schedule.

Perhaps Chilly went with TJ to save his job for another year... 1st yr QB and young receivers...

Jeremy is offline Starter

"bleedpurple" wrote:

but we'll probably have a worse record because of the youth on offense and a pretty tough schedule.

Perhaps Chilly went with TJ to save his job for another year... 1st yr QB and young receivers...
    Clearly the goal isn't to win now, but in 3-5 years from now when Jackson is or is never ready. By then then Pat Williams, Winfeild and Sharper will be retired or over the hill.

Barack Obama is offline Starter

Way worse.
    Travis Taylor + Marcus Robinson + Fred Smoot = dynasty
    8)

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

Clearly the goal isn't to win now, but in 3-5 years from now when Jackson is or is never ready. By then then Pat Williams, Winfeild and Sharper will be retired or over the hill.
    The goal is always to win, unless you're thowing games to get a better draft position.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:

For your sake, it's a good thing you're NOT a betting man.
    Too bad I'm not a betting man!
    One down, four to go.

Okay, I think we have very little chance next week against a Dallas team that is better than us in many ways.
    I said that before this week, and the Cowboys' performance against NE up against our performance against Chicago has done little to change my mind.
    Our defense is pretty good, but Dallas will score against us.
    Our offense did well to day, but I don't have faith that we will consistantly put up 34 points, or that 34 points will be enough against Dallas.

But the other games - Philly, SD, and GB are better matchups for us.
    Their offenses aren't as good, and generally they're closer to our talent level.
    SD has looked pretty impressive lately, but I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do against the MVP.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Ranger is offline Coach

While the end record may not reflect it, I'd have to say that we're better.
    Especially after watching the Chicago game.

There is a lot of potential on this team, potential that wasn't there last year.
    It's showing flashes, and in Peterson's case, it's burning like the sun.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Yes because now we have the future to look forward to. All we really need is a WR and a QB maybe (depends on TJ, he looked good today).

And in the offseason I see us getting a safety.

And theres still hope this year. AD leads us to the SB?

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

we have way better talent. so yeah i think there better we just need to finish games

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast