Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Excellent post Jos, as always.

;D

Another thing to think about.......

What about 09?
    Sure we look good on paper this year and all the holes seemed to have been addressed but we will still see issues.......

a.
    TJ will still struggle at times.
    b.
    Berrian is in his first year of the offense.
    We saw other players (Shanc) struggle thier first year.
    c.
    Will Shancs struggles be over now that he is in his second year.
    d.
    Sharp showed he lost a step or two at times last year.
    Will it be more evident this year?
    Can M-will and the Rook take some reps/pressure off of him?
    Will he play within the system?
    e.
    Is it our coaches or just thier limitations with respect to players on how complex our play calling (both sides of the ball) is/can be?

etc etc etc.

Long story short, this team is comprised of mostly the 2006/2007 draft class, some FA's coming out of thier first contract and some very nice Vets that have been resigned.
    Maybe, just maybe we will still see some gelling issues at a couple of key spots as well as some inconsistency (not as much as the past two years) in a few others based on youth but in 2009 and beyond we should really see how the build through the draft, sign a few FA's and resign our Vets approach is working for this front office.

I for one see this staffs plan as the right approach that will ensure this team always is getting better and not getting worse cause we might lose a few aged Vets.
    Again, problem is, we are still in the early stages of that long term fix.

;D
    We may be in the early stages of the fix, but from what we've seen so far from this team in the offseason, it looks like they're starting a new phase of the fix. The first couple years were there to impliment the new scemes, and build the talent level. This year, they seem to be more agressive in how they are handling their issues. I think their moves at QB, even the ones that didn't come to fruition (Rosenfels), are telling. The fact that they brought in talent that can fill in for, and eventually replace TJ, should he falter, suggests to me that the primary goal for the team this year is not to build, but to perform.

Sure, we'll see issues. Every team has them. I just think that the Vikings will be much more proactive in addressing them than they have been in the past couple of years.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Excellent post. (Again).

Quick question.
    Do you think they would have pulled the trigger on Sage if they weren't already targeting JA?
    I think they would have but they needed the pick, or atleast felt they needed the pick to get the JA deal done.
    While I do think that trading for Sage would have severely limited our ability to trade for Allen, I don't think the potential Allen trade cause the balk in the discussions with Houston. If I recall correctly, the Sage rumors started fairly early in the offseason, well before the draft. At that point, according to the Allen timeline article, the Vikings were just aware that Allen might still be on the market, and were exploring the possibility of a trade. They did not have any reason yet to assume that a trade was likely. Building from the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" perspective, if the Vikings could have delt a 3rd rounder for Rosenfels at that point, they would have. The problem was that Houston wanted a 2nd rounder, and the rest is history.
    The pick they needed (that I alluded to above) was the second.

My feeling is that they had a good indication of what it would take to get JA as well as a good feeling for were the S's were gonna go in the draft which made them back off the Sage deal to ensure they could get both guys.

Enter Gus.

Your scenario is probably a bit more realistic though.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Excellent post Jos, as always.

;D

Another thing to think about.......

What about 09?
    Sure we look good on paper this year and all the holes seemed to have been addressed but we will still see issues.......

a.
    TJ will still struggle at times.
    b.
    Berrian is in his first year of the offense.
    We saw other players (Shanc) struggle thier first year.
    c.
    Will Shancs struggles be over now that he is in his second year.
    d.
    Sharp showed he lost a step or two at times last year.
    Will it be more evident this year?
    Can M-will and the Rook take some reps/pressure off of him?
    Will he play within the system?
    e.
    Is it our coaches or just thier limitations with respect to players on how complex our play calling (both sides of the ball) is/can be?

etc etc etc.

Long story short, this team is comprised of mostly the 2006/2007 draft class, some FA's coming out of thier first contract and some very nice Vets that have been resigned.
    Maybe, just maybe we will still see some gelling issues at a couple of key spots as well as some inconsistency (not as much as the past two years) in a few others based on youth but in 2009 and beyond we should really see how the build through the draft, sign a few FA's and resign our Vets approach is working for this front office.

I for one see this staffs plan as the right approach that will ensure this team always is getting better and not getting worse cause we might lose a few aged Vets.
    Again, problem is, we are still in the early stages of that long term fix.

;D
    We may be in the early stages of the fix, but from what we've seen so far from this team in the offseason, it looks like they're starting a new phase of the fix. The first couple years were there to impliment the new scemes, and build the talent level. This year, they seem to be more agressive in how they are handling their issues. I think their moves at QB, even the ones that didn't come to fruition (Rosenfels), are telling. The fact that they brought in talent that can fill in for, and eventually replace TJ, should he falter, suggests to me that the primary goal for the team this year is not to build, but to perform.

Sure, we'll see issues. Every team has them. I just think that the Vikings will be much more proactive in addressing them than they have been in the past couple of years.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Excellent post. (Again).

Quick question.
    Do you think they would have pulled the trigger on Sage if they weren't already targeting JA?
    I think they would have but they needed the pick, or atleast felt they needed the pick to get the JA deal done.
    While I do think that trading for Sage would have severely limited our ability to trade for Allen, I don't think the potential Allen trade cause the balk in the discussions with Houston. If I recall correctly, the Sage rumors started fairly early in the offseason, well before the draft. At that point, according to the Allen timeline article, the Vikings were just aware that Allen might still be on the market, and were exploring the possibility of a trade. They did not have any reason yet to assume that a trade was likely. Building from the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" perspective, if the Vikings could have delt a 3rd rounder for Rosenfels at that point, they would have. The problem was that Houston wanted a 2nd rounder, and the rest is history.
    The pick they needed (that I alluded to above) was the second.

My feeling is that they had a good indication of what it would take to get JA as well as a good feeling for were the S's were gonna go in the draft which made them back off the Sage deal to ensure they could get both guys.

Enter Gus.

Your scenario is probably a bit more realistic though.

;D
    I can believe that they had a general idea what it would take to get Allen. They were starting to look into it.
    I don't believe that they would nix a value adding trade based on a specific player they thought would be there in the 2nd round of the draft. I think with this aspect of the Vikings offseason, you can apply the K.I.S.S. principle*. The Vikings didn't think Sage was worth what Houston was asking.

[size=7pt]*Rock 'n roll all night, party every day ... which is how we got Jared Allen.
    Why, what did you think it stood for?[/size]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12