Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    2007
    2007 Season Preview

    2008
    2008 Offseason - Minnesota Vikings - State of the Franchise
    Jared Allen brings his mustache to Minnesota
    Vikings expectations for 2008


    As we're all turning in our predictions and prognostications, I wanted to take a look back at 07 and some of the issues that were resolved/revealed during the season. Going back through the highlight vids helped to see some of the development that was made, and I thought some of you would like to see these links in a somewhat organized fashion. I originally had a pretty long review of 07 and preview of 08 written, but I lost it in when IE crashed on me. Here's the reader's digest condensed version:

    07: During the offseason, there were questions about QB, WR and the pass defense. We did not address those concerns effectively, and it showed during the season. The pass defense did not show much improvement over the 06 squad (last in YPG, middle of the pack in YPA and PPG both years). Tarvaris was hot and cold last year, and looked like he could have used a decent veteran to help him along. The backups we did have went 0-4 when TJ was out. We tried to force Williamson into a leading role in the passing game, but he dropped the ball. Prior to the season, Zygi said that 07 would be a rebuilding year. I think that philosophy was evident in the way they handled things. They gave the starting job to TJ without anyone to challenge him, and gave him as much experience as they could. They played it safe with AD in both the amount of playing time and the types of plays called while he was in. They also seemed, to me at least, to try the same thing with Rice, even with the ability he showed to make great catches. 2007 seemed to be a year to play it safe with everyone, and get all the youngsters some confidence building experience.

    08: We entered the offseason with the same type of questions, only this year, the front office answered them decisively. We picked up the best WR on the market, then the best coverage safety on the market, and then picked up the league leader in sacks, whom many didn't realize was even on the market anymore. We got a veteran QB who has shown he can be a back-up and a mentor at the same time. We then drafted a QB that is a viable option for the future, in case TJ needed any extra motivation to perform. Only 3 of the projected offensive starters are left from the Tice era, and they're all on the O-line. The 'skill' players are all new under Childress. They all have solid experience under the KAO (except the newcomer Berrian), so the KAO should finally start kicking someone else's ass besides our own. The defense had quite a few talented players under Tice that are still here. The staff has replaced the weak spots, and now the defense has the talent to be one of the top in the league.

    The rebuilding is over. Childress and his staff have put their stamp on this team, and it's time to go kick butt.



    Don't you love offseason optimism?
    ;D

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    Great post josdin00!

    I am reminded of Childress's speech when he was appointed coach.

    Finally, as former Cleveland Browns Coach Sam Rutigliano told me in 1986 regarding a job interview and how we would go in and get the job done, he said "We will be like Vikings. We're going go ashore, burn the boats and never look back." We are never looking back. Today we go ashore.
    Perhaps we have finally finished building the boats, and it is time to start kicking ass... ;D

    DAMMIT I AM PUMPED FOR FOOTBALL SEASON TO START!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    daftparrot is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Great post josdin00!

    I am reminded of Childress's speech when he was appointed coach.

    Finally, as former Cleveland Browns Coach Sam Rutigliano told me in 1986 regarding a job interview and how we would go in and get the job done, he said "We will be like Vikings. We're going go ashore, burn the boats and never look back." We are never looking back. Today we go ashore.
    Perhaps we have finally finished building the boats, and it is time to start kicking jiggly butt... ;D

    DAMMIT I AM PUMPED FOR FOOTBALL SEASON TO START!
    me too, and it's still only june.

  4. #4
    Mr-holland's Avatar
    Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,443

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    Very very Very nice post !

    I agree, the rebuilding is over it's time for some results. We are now in a position where we could dominate the NFC(N) and the retirement of Favre couldn't come to soon.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

  5. #5
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,541

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    I have said it several times now. Bchill took this team and said he wanted to place HIS people in positions to make plays. He and the front office have done this, we are now filled with quality starters, and very acceptable backups. This is a team that should be very very solid for years to come.

    Bring on the NFC, we're biting at the chomp to take um on

    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    Excellent post Jos, as always.
    ;D

    Another thing to think about.......

    What about 09?
    Sure we look good on paper this year and all the holes seemed to have been addressed but we will still see issues.......

    a.
    TJ will still struggle at times.
    b.
    Berrian is in his first year of the offense.
    We saw other players (Shanc) struggle thier first year.
    c.
    Will Shancs struggles be over now that he is in his second year.
    d.
    Sharp showed he lost a step or two at times last year.
    Will it be more evident this year?
    Can M-will and the Rook take some reps/pressure off of him?
    Will he play within the system?
    e.
    Is it our coaches or just thier limitations with respect to players on how complex our play calling (both sides of the ball) is/can be?

    etc etc etc.

    Long story short, this team is comprised of mostly the 2006/2007 draft class, some FA's coming out of thier first contract and some very nice Vets that have been resigned.
    Maybe, just maybe we will still see some gelling issues at a couple of key spots as well as some inconsistency (not as much as the past two years) in a few others based on youth but in 2009 and beyond we should really see how the build through the draft, sign a few FA's and resign our Vets approach is working for this front office.

    I for one see this staffs plan as the right approach that will ensure this team always is getting better and not getting worse cause we might lose a few aged Vets.
    Again, problem is, we are still in the early stages of that long term fix.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Excellent post Jos, as always.

    ;D

    Another thing to think about.......

    What about 09?
    Sure we look good on paper this year and all the holes seemed to have been addressed but we will still see issues.......

    a.
    TJ will still struggle at times.
    b.
    Berrian is in his first year of the offense.
    We saw other players (Shanc) struggle thier first year.
    c.
    Will Shancs struggles be over now that he is in his second year.
    d.
    Sharp showed he lost a step or two at times last year.
    Will it be more evident this year?
    Can M-will and the Rook take some reps/pressure off of him?
    Will he play within the system?
    e.
    Is it our coaches or just thier limitations with respect to players on how complex our play calling (both sides of the ball) is/can be?

    etc etc etc.

    Long story short, this team is comprised of mostly the 2006/2007 draft class, some FA's coming out of thier first contract and some very nice Vets that have been resigned.
    Maybe, just maybe we will still see some gelling issues at a couple of key spots as well as some inconsistency (not as much as the past two years) in a few others based on youth but in 2009 and beyond we should really see how the build through the draft, sign a few FA's and resign our Vets approach is working for this front office.

    I for one see this staffs plan as the right approach that will ensure this team always is getting better and not getting worse cause we might lose a few aged Vets.
    Again, problem is, we are still in the early stages of that long term fix.

    ;D
    We may be in the early stages of the fix, but from what we've seen so far from this team in the offseason, it looks like they're starting a new phase of the fix. The first couple years were there to impliment the new scemes, and build the talent level. This year, they seem to be more agressive in how they are handling their issues. I think their moves at QB, even the ones that didn't come to fruition (Rosenfels), are telling. The fact that they brought in talent that can fill in for, and eventually replace TJ, should he falter, suggests to me that the primary goal for the team this year is not to build, but to perform.

    Sure, we'll see issues. Every team has them. I just think that the Vikings will be much more proactive in addressing them than they have been in the past couple of years.

  8. #8
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    Thanks for the great Thread and Links to all the highlights Josdin...






    I could sit all day and watch the First Bears game and the SD game.....Them highlight reels where smoking...LOL
    ;D


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Excellent post Jos, as always.

    ;D

    Another thing to think about.......

    What about 09?
    Sure we look good on paper this year and all the holes seemed to have been addressed but we will still see issues.......

    a.
    TJ will still struggle at times.
    b.
    Berrian is in his first year of the offense.
    We saw other players (Shanc) struggle thier first year.
    c.
    Will Shancs struggles be over now that he is in his second year.
    d.
    Sharp showed he lost a step or two at times last year.
    Will it be more evident this year?
    Can M-will and the Rook take some reps/pressure off of him?
    Will he play within the system?
    e.
    Is it our coaches or just thier limitations with respect to players on how complex our play calling (both sides of the ball) is/can be?

    etc etc etc.

    Long story short, this team is comprised of mostly the 2006/2007 draft class, some FA's coming out of thier first contract and some very nice Vets that have been resigned.
    Maybe, just maybe we will still see some gelling issues at a couple of key spots as well as some inconsistency (not as much as the past two years) in a few others based on youth but in 2009 and beyond we should really see how the build through the draft, sign a few FA's and resign our Vets approach is working for this front office.

    I for one see this staffs plan as the right approach that will ensure this team always is getting better and not getting worse cause we might lose a few aged Vets.
    Again, problem is, we are still in the early stages of that long term fix.

    ;D
    We may be in the early stages of the fix, but from what we've seen so far from this team in the offseason, it looks like they're starting a new phase of the fix. The first couple years were there to impliment the new scemes, and build the talent level. This year, they seem to be more agressive in how they are handling their issues. I think their moves at QB, even the ones that didn't come to fruition (Rosenfels), are telling. The fact that they brought in talent that can fill in for, and eventually replace TJ, should he falter, suggests to me that the primary goal for the team this year is not to build, but to perform.

    Sure, we'll see issues. Every team has them. I just think that the Vikings will be much more proactive in addressing them than they have been in the past couple of years.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Excellent post. (Again).

    Quick question.
    Do you think they would have pulled the trigger on Sage if they weren't already targeting JA?
    I think they would have but they needed the pick, or atleast felt they needed the pick to get the JA deal done.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: 2007 review, and 2008 hype (with lots of highlight vids)

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Excellent post Jos, as always.

    ;D

    Another thing to think about.......

    What about 09?
    Sure we look good on paper this year and all the holes seemed to have been addressed but we will still see issues.......

    a.
    TJ will still struggle at times.
    b.
    Berrian is in his first year of the offense.
    We saw other players (Shanc) struggle thier first year.
    c.
    Will Shancs struggles be over now that he is in his second year.
    d.
    Sharp showed he lost a step or two at times last year.
    Will it be more evident this year?
    Can M-will and the Rook take some reps/pressure off of him?
    Will he play within the system?
    e.
    Is it our coaches or just thier limitations with respect to players on how complex our play calling (both sides of the ball) is/can be?

    etc etc etc.

    Long story short, this team is comprised of mostly the 2006/2007 draft class, some FA's coming out of thier first contract and some very nice Vets that have been resigned.
    Maybe, just maybe we will still see some gelling issues at a couple of key spots as well as some inconsistency (not as much as the past two years) in a few others based on youth but in 2009 and beyond we should really see how the build through the draft, sign a few FA's and resign our Vets approach is working for this front office.

    I for one see this staffs plan as the right approach that will ensure this team always is getting better and not getting worse cause we might lose a few aged Vets.
    Again, problem is, we are still in the early stages of that long term fix.

    ;D
    We may be in the early stages of the fix, but from what we've seen so far from this team in the offseason, it looks like they're starting a new phase of the fix. The first couple years were there to impliment the new scemes, and build the talent level. This year, they seem to be more agressive in how they are handling their issues. I think their moves at QB, even the ones that didn't come to fruition (Rosenfels), are telling. The fact that they brought in talent that can fill in for, and eventually replace TJ, should he falter, suggests to me that the primary goal for the team this year is not to build, but to perform.

    Sure, we'll see issues. Every team has them. I just think that the Vikings will be much more proactive in addressing them than they have been in the past couple of years.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Excellent post. (Again).

    Quick question.
    Do you think they would have pulled the trigger on Sage if they weren't already targeting JA?
    I think they would have but they needed the pick, or atleast felt they needed the pick to get the JA deal done.
    While I do think that trading for Sage would have severely limited our ability to trade for Allen, I don't think the potential Allen trade cause the balk in the discussions with Houston. If I recall correctly, the Sage rumors started fairly early in the offseason, well before the draft. At that point, according to the Allen timeline article, the Vikings were just aware that Allen might still be on the market, and were exploring the possibility of a trade. They did not have any reason yet to assume that a trade was likely. Building from the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" perspective, if the Vikings could have delt a 3rd rounder for Rosenfels at that point, they would have. The problem was that Houston wanted a 2nd rounder, and the rest is history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 NFL Season in Review
    By Webby in forum Hall of Famers Speak
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 10:38 AM
  2. Incredible 2008 season highlight video
    By josdin00 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 08:37 PM
  3. 2007 in Review: Running backs
    By Prophet in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
  4. 2007: A year in review
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 11:15 AM
  5. 2007-2008 calendar
    By vikesfan353 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •