Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: The 2007 Minnesota Vikings

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    You have to remember that Troy Williamson was highly scouted coming out of college as well... Going for Calvin Johnson is not necessarily going to push us into a playoff caliber team.. You can't figure by having a few rookies, and some not so great players that we will improve much..

Our problems go much deeper then the players that we have right now.. Playcalling is suspect most of the time, and we have all new systems, and coaches.. While adding Tony Gonzalez to the mix would be nice, it is only a temporary fix.. He is a great TE, but his better days are far behind him.. Another training camp along with this season will work wonders in getting all the players on the same page..

We will more then likely cut Fred Smoot, and that will inherit some cap space.. They will have a bunch of money to get some FA's that will greatly improve our team.. I do agree with you that Gonzalez would require extra attention, but right now Williamson has to be considered a 1st rd bust.. The only notiable thing he has done in his short career is drop passes.. Not exactly the reputation that a young WR wants, or needs..
    I hope your not comparing calvin johnson to williamson, because CJ is supposed to be much better than Williamson was supposed to be. Also, i think that it is to early to give up on williamson. He has played horrendously this year, but if he learns to use his hands more, he can be a good #2 receiver. Also, up until this year he has not had a reputation for dropping passes.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    I read to the part where you list Williamson and an unproven rookie as our starting WRs, LOL, Good luck with that.
    I understand not wanting williamson, but have you seen Calvin Johnson?
    Sorry, can't say that I have. All I know is the NFL is a completely different stage, lots of first round busts. Also, most people will tell you it takes a couple years for any reciever (exept Moss) to make an impact for the team.

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    I read to the part where you list Williamson and an unproven rookie as our starting WRs, LOL, Good luck with that.
    Who do you think we should have starting at WR next year?
    This thread is so premature, I haven't had time to see who's going to be available. I'll get back to you on that later.

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    You have to remember that Troy Williamson was highly scouted coming out of college as well... Going for Calvin Johnson is not necessarily going to push us into a playoff caliber team.. You can't figure by having a few rookies, and some not so great players that we will improve much..

Our problems go much deeper then the players that we have right now.. Playcalling is suspect most of the time, and we have all new systems, and coaches.. While adding Tony Gonzalez to the mix would be nice, it is only a temporary fix.. He is a great TE, but his better days are far behind him.. Another training camp along with this season will work wonders in getting all the players on the same page..

We will more then likely cut Fred Smoot, and that will inherit some cap space.. They will have a bunch of money to get some FA's that will greatly improve our team.. I do agree with you that Gonzalez would require extra attention, but right now Williamson has to be considered a 1st rd bust.. The only notiable thing he has done in his short career is drop passes.. Not exactly the reputation that a young WR wants, or needs..
    I hope your not comparing calvin johnson to williamson, because CJ is supposed to be much better than Williamson was supposed to be. Also, i think that it is to early to give up on williamson. He has played horrendously this year, but if he learns to use his hands more, he can be a good #2 receiver. Also, up until this year he has not had a reputation for dropping passes.
    Yes he did. They even gave him special coaching in training camp.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Hey, you copied my line "good luck with that".

;D
    Shoulda used the "tm" symbol. It's mine now! :P

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Yes he did. They even gave him special coaching in training camp.
    They pretty much did everything but catch the ball for him.

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    Sorry, can't say that I have. All I know is the NFL is a completely different stage, lots of first round busts. Also, most people will tell you it takes a couple years for any reciever (exept Moss) to make an impact for the team.
    It is true that it takes most receivers time to make a difference, but he is very young, very polished, and basically has no flaws.

Here is a scouting report from fftoolbox.com

Calvin Johnson
    Position: WR Number: 21
    School: Georgia Tech Height: 6'4

-This is a player at the wide receiver position that has all the dominating skills to truly make him a game breaker and impact player
    -He is an imposing sized specimen on the field to opposing defenders, and his presence on the field is noticed quickly
    -His size, speed, quickness, strength and leaping ability is a combination you rarely see in one player on any level, who posses excellent body control while in the air and one who positions himself well like a basketball player by blocking out his opponent for the reception
    -When going up for a reception he attacks the ball at it's highest point so only he can come down with it, and with his combination of size and strength few defenders can stop him for a catch
    -He has a soft pair of hands and has the trait of catching balls away from his body with his hands that most of your top flight receivers tend to do, and he has excellent concentration and adjustment to the ball as it is in the air
    -He also has the top end speed to take it the distance as well, and to top it all off he has the intensity and will to win to be a top flight blocker as well from the plays I could see
    -The one thing I notice he may need to work on is that he is only a sophomore, and only lack inexperience which may save a defensive back or two!

Find any other scouting report and it will show the same thing, a great player waiting to happen. I'm not saying he will solve all of our problems from the get-go, but he will definatly start right away for whatever team drafts him.

Also, check out this grab, http://youtube.com/watch?v=wXRqyjzyBRg

And if your not convinced.. check out this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=GkHErzB9hKY

To me, it depends on what the teams are looking for.
    Calvin Johnson is the most pro ready reciever, hes strong, fast and ELECTRIFYING!

He is a necessity to the Minnesota Vikings, but I doubt that Childress will trade up for him.
    If we lose to the Rams, it will help us in our draft position, but I really hope that we get a WR 1st round!
    I would be Most happy with Calvin Johnson, next Ginn and then Jarrett!

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    It is true that it takes most receivers time to make a difference, but he is very young, very polished, and basically has no flaws.

Here is a scouting report from fftoolbox.com

Calvin Johnson
    Position: WR Number: 21
    School: Georgia Tech Height: 6'4

-This is a player at the wide receiver position that has all the dominating skills to truly make him a game breaker and impact player
    -He is an imposing sized specimen on the field to opposing defenders, and his presence on the field is noticed quickly
    -His size, speed, quickness, strength and leaping ability is a combination you rarely see in one player on any level, who posses excellent body control while in the air and one who positions himself well like a basketball player by blocking out his opponent for the reception
    -When going up for a reception he attacks the ball at it's highest point so only he can come down with it, and with his combination of size and strength few defenders can stop him for a catch
    -He has a soft pair of hands and has the trait of catching balls away from his body with his hands that most of your top flight receivers tend to do, and he has excellent concentration and adjustment to the ball as it is in the air
    -He also has the top end speed to take it the distance as well, and to top it all off he has the intensity and will to win to be a top flight blocker as well from the plays I could see
    -The one thing I notice he may need to work on is that he is only a sophomore, and only lack inexperience which may save a defensive back or two!

Find any other scouting report and it will show the same thing, a great player waiting to happen. I'm not saying he will solve all of our problems from the get-go, but he will definatly start right away for whatever team drafts him.

Also, check out this grab, http://youtube.com/watch?v=wXRqyjzyBRg
    The guy does sound awesome! I just haven't looked around at the draft prospects yet. Thanks for the info though, I'll keep my eye on him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12