Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

The 2007 Minnesota Vikings

If we are going to contend next year...we gott make some changes...here is what i think we should do...

Free Agency (We will have at least 30 million in cap space and will probably get mroe when we release fred smoot)

DE Justin Smith. We need a pass rusher. Even though we don't have the best secondary around, the problem is the pass rush. The opposing quarterback is simply havinf too much time and it is impossible for the covereage to hold up that long. We get help when erasmus james comes back, but we have no rush from the otehr side. Udeze is better suited as a third down DT or a goal line DE. Dwight Freeney would be ideal, but lets be realistic. Plus Justin Smith is betetr against the run.

TE Tony Gonzalez. There are no stud free agent wide receivers, so well have to address that in the draft. Wiggins is decent but isn't athletic enough to stretch the field. Gonzalez on the other hand is one of the best TE to ever play the game. He would demand more coverage than Wiggins, and that would help our wide receivers greatly. He also might be more inclined to come here because of Tony Richardson.

OG Eric Steinbach. Our line is good but, the right side can use another blocker. Artis hicks isnt bad, but steinbach is much better. He is also young, and assumeing Ryan Cook continues to progress, he will complete our line.

CB Roderick Hood. After smoot is gone, we will need a dime cornerback. He can play that role and eventually replace Winfield when he moves on.

NFL Draft

I think that we need to trade up and get calvin johnson.We probably need to trade up into the top 3 in order to get him, which would cost us our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

If we do this, our team will look like this:

QB - Tarvaris Jackson
    RB - Chester Taylor
    FB - Tony Richardson
    WR - Calvin Johnson
    WR - Troy Williamson
    TE - Tony Gonzalez
    LT - Bryant McKinnie
    LG - Steve Hutchinson
    C - Matt Birk
    RG - Eric Steinbach
    RT - Ryan Cook

DE - Justin Smith
    DT - Kevin Williams
    DT - Pat Williams
    DE - Erasmus James
    OLB - Chad Greenway
    MLB - EJ Henderson
    OLB - Ben Leber
    CB - Antoine Winfield
    S - Darren Sharper
    S - Dwight Smith
    CB - Cedric Griffin

K - Ryan Longwell
    P - Chris Kluwe
    KR/PR - Mewelde Moore

With this team, our defense will be great. The run defense will stay the same, but our pass D will greatly improve with the addition of Justin Smith, the presence of Erasmus James, and the return of Chad Greenway, who is a coverage linebacker.

Our offense will be better as long as T-Jack doesn't turn it over. The run game will be great, and our receieving core will actually be pretty good. If Williamson can improve, he would see single coverage a lot due to the attention that Tony Gonzalez and Calvin Johnosn would require as well as the defneders that would need to contain T-Jack.

Bretto is offline Rookie

Re: The 2007 Minnesota Vikings

This thread is 5 seconds away from being locked and merged somewhere else just fyi.

I like it.
    I like all the additions.
    Although I would rather see us trade less draft picks and throw in some crappy players like Rosenthal, Kleinsasser, Udeze, Whittle, Smoot into a deal with the cardinals for Fitzgerald or if the colts try to hang on to Freeney we could do a trade there.

What about Nate Clements from Buf? He would fit well here.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I read to the part where you list Williamson and an unproven rookie as our starting WRs, LOL, Good luck with that.

Clements is great, but i dont think we need a starter, i think that winfield and griffin are great for our scheme. And i dont think that clements would come over if he knew he was going to be a nickel.

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    I read to the part where you list Williamson and an unproven rookie as our starting WRs, LOL, Good luck with that.
    I understand not wanting williamson, but have you seen Calvin Johnson?

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I'm sure the draft will be discussed in detail when the time comes..., Does anyone how many teams picking above the Vikings will be in the market for receivers?
    Considering their needs and other players available in the draft:

1). Detroit (2-12) You're kidding
    2). Oakland (2-12) Questionable
    3). Tampa Bay (3-11) Possibly
    4). Arizona (4-10) Stacked at WR
    5). Houston (4-10) Possibly
    6). Cleveland (4-10) Doubt it

Does anybody know the needs of these teams?
    Of course we're not sure where we'll pick after these teams either.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

I would say that Tampa Bay is the most likely of those teams and maybe oakland, depending on what they do with porter and moss

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Hey, you copied my line "good luck with that".
    ;D

Who do you think we should have starting at WR next year?

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

You have to remember that Troy Williamson was highly scouted coming out of college as well... Going for Calvin Johnson is not necessarily going to push us into a playoff caliber team.. You can't figure by having a few rookies, and some not so great players that we will improve much..

Our problems go much deeper then the players that we have right now.. Playcalling is suspect most of the time, and we have all new systems, and coaches.. While adding Tony Gonzalez to the mix would be nice, it is only a temporary fix.. He is a great TE, but his better days are far behind him.. Another training camp along with this season will work wonders in getting all the players on the same page..

We will more then likely cut Fred Smoot, and that will inherit some cap space.. They will have a bunch of money to get some FA's that will greatly improve our team.. I do agree with you that Gonzalez would require extra attention, but right now Williamson has to be considered a 1st rd bust.. The only notiable thing he has done in his short career is drop passes.. Not exactly the reputation that a young WR wants, or needs..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast