Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

2006 Vikings offense=2003 Chiefs offense

... only better.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and most people should be able to see the striking similiarities, especially in our offense.

1. The Quarterback. Both teams start off the season with an aging Quarterback with some serious questions about how well they will do. Trent Green proves all the critics wrong by having a spectacular season. He wasn't nearly as old as Brad is but you can see the similiarites in a pocket passing quarterback. The Chiefs went on to have an astounding year and the best record in the NFL.

2. The Running Back: A 2nd string Running Back enters the stage in both scenarios. Both of these halfbacks were critisized for most of their careers for not winning the job against supposedly "better" running backs. Priest Holmes went to Kansas City and became the staple of their offense. Can Chester Taylor be the second coming of priest holmes? It's hard to say at this point but it could be possible. That year a new running back was drafted by the chiefs. His name was Larry Johnson. The Vikings also have a 2nd string young running back by the name of mewelde moore.

3. The O-Line: At the point of the 2003 season the Chiefs had just finished developing one of the best offensive lines in NFL history featuring Willie Roaf and Will Shields. In 2006 the Vikings finish developing one of the best offensive lines in the NFL with Matt Birk and Steve Hutchinson.

4. Recievers: Both teams had question marks with the recievers. I for one am hoping that our recievers turn out better than the 2003 cheifs recievers did but the similiarities are still there.

5. Tight Ends/ Fullbacks: I'm not going to say Jermaine Wiggins is Tony Gonzalez because he's not. Wiggins is a solid recieving Tight End though and could emerge to be almost on the level as tony gonzalez. Obviously the Fullback similiarities are there because it's the same fullback in Tony Richardson.

Now... Factor all that in plus the fact that we have a much much much better defense than they had that year. Who says we can't go 13-3 as well? I guess we'll have to see once the season rolls around.

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

Re: 2006 Vikings offense=2003 Chiefs offense

1.Dude you have waaaaaay to much time on your hands to compare Brad Johnson to Trent Green. Brad is not even in the same talent bracket as Trent.
    2. I agree about Taylor however, I feel he will have a stellar season.
    3.Our offensive line will be great I agree assuming everyone stays healthy. If you remember correctly last season everyone had our offensive line rated as the top 3 in the league before all the injuries.
    4.The Chiefs never had question marks at receivers. We however do.
    5.Again are you on crack to compare in any way jERMAINE TO tONY g.

Yes factor it all together. wE WILL NOT GO 13-3 Because the league is much stronger now and we are run by a second rate QB.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Very interesting. I like those comparisons a lot. Fortunately for us we don't have the 2003 chiefs defense!

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

We will not be a offensive team as the 2003 Chiefs where we will be a Defensive team as the Super Bowl champ Ravens where.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    Very interesting. I like those comparisons a lot. Fortunately for us we don't have the 2003 chiefs defense!
    We can go get it if I can get my time machine fixed. :smile:

BUT....the chiefs already had a coach for 2 years. But, I also do understand that the players do a lot of the work.

I do agree with a lot of the similarities! And you're totally right, we can go 13-3! I think that every viking fan would be estatic if we did that!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    1.Dude you have waaaaaay to much time on your hands to compare Brad Johnson to Trent Green. Brad is not even in the same talent bracket as Trent.
    3.Our offensive line will be great I agree assuming everyone stays healthy. If you remember correctly last season everyone had our offensive line rated as the top 3 in the league before all the injuries.

Yes factor it all together. wE WILL NOT GO 13-3 Because the league is much stronger now and we are run by a second rate QB.
    Sorry for the double post, but ours were at about the same time.

Yes the chiefs did have reciever questions. Mark Boeritger, Dante Hall, Eddie Kennison, and Johnnie Morton. Hall is the only well known one on there, and he's not much of a reciever, but one hell of a returner.

And how can you call Brad Johnson a second rate QB. If I remember correctly he won a super bowl. I know Trent Green has put up the numbers, but I don't see a ring on his finger.

Edit: I guess it wasnt much of a double post. There's a lot of people on today!

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

our offence isnt going to be the best they will only be average i think
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I don't have a lot of time on my hands. I just made a simple and kind of cool comparison for fun. No reason to jump down my throat and say that I'm "on crack" and "have too much time on my hands".

The Chiefs had huge question marks at reciever. Dante Hall Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton were their starters. IMO Koren, Troy, and Travis are a lot more proven than they ever were.

How is the league much stronger now? That makes no sense. The NFL is always going to be the same. Some teams strong, some not...

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

I don't have a lot of time on my hands. I just made a simple and kind of cool comparison for fun. No reason to jump down my throat and say that I'm "on crack" and "have too much time on my hands".

The Chiefs had huge question marks at reciever. Dante Hall Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton were their starters. IMO Koren, Troy, and Travis are a lot more proven than they ever were.

How is the league much stronger now? That makes no sense. The NFL is always going to be the same. Some teams strong, some not...
    I agree it goes in cycles. One team is strong for awhile and then they crash. It happens over and over. It's always been that way.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast