Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    That defense was better than what we have now in many ways. Only against the run would I rank the current defense as superior to that one. We were one year removed from setting the single season sack record and Teerlink as the DLC and Peters as the DC made a good combination. Our front 4 was awesome and then throw in Studwell, Browner and co. They were stacked.

    The offense was very similar to what we are trying to do but less talented at RB,more talented at TE and WR and more experienced at QB. The lines were similar but they were better on the right side.

  2. #32
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I was 3 years old. I don't remember pooh about that year. Who were our best players?
    Not necessarily all best plays, but most you may recognize;

    RB Alfred Anderson
    LB Walker Lee Ashley
    LB Ray Berry
    DB Rufus Bess
    S Joey Browner
    WR Anthony Carter
    P Greg Coleman
    DE Chris Doleman
    RB D. J. Dozier
    RB Rick Fenney
    QB Rich Gannon
    CB Issiac Holt
    T Tim Irwin
    WR Hassan Jones
    TE Steve Jordan
    QB Tommy Kramer
    WR Terry LeCount
    CB Carl Lee
    WR Leo Lewis
    C Kirk Lowdermilk
    DE/NT Doug Martin
    DT Keith Millard
    TE/HC Mike Mularkey
    K Chuck Nelson
    RB Darrin Nelson
    DT Tim Newton
    RB Allen Rice
    LB Randy Scott
    P Bucky Scribner
    LB Jesse Solomon
    LB Scott Studwell
    C/G/T Dennis Swilley
    T/G Terry Tausch
    DT Henry Thomas
    QB Wade Wilson
    T Gary Zimmerman
    Not good enough Singer. I requested a list of the best players on the team. You gave me a list of almost every starter...36 players! Please cut down your list to the top ten players and re-submit. Thank You.

    Example:
    2007 Vikings Best Players
    RB Adrian Peterson
    FB Tony Richardson
    C Matt Birk
    G Steve Hutchinson
    DT Pat Williams
    DT Kevin Williams
    LB EJ Henderson
    DB Antoine Winfield
    RB Chester Taylor
    DB Darren Sharper

    You've got some work to do.
    Depending how you look at performance, the top 10 could vary, but IMO based on my recollection;


    S Joey Browner
    WR Anthony Carter
    DE Chris Doleman
    WR Hassan Jones
    TE Steve Jordan
    CB Carl Lee
    WR Leo Lewis
    C Kirk Lowdermilk
    DE/NT Doug Martin
    DT Keith Millard
    RB Darrin Nelson
    LB Scott Studwell
    DT Henry Thomas
    T Gary Zimmerman

    gol 'darnit! I can only cut it down to about 14.
    You are pretty damn close to being correct.

    Of course Joey is tops right.......;D
    There were several good guys on defense. Joey was definitely at the top 3 of the list. He could hit, he could tackle & he was just damn fun to watch when he was in his prime.

    Not a lot of glory for his position, but Lowdermilk has to be on that list. He was a damn good center. The Vikings have always been fortunate at that position. As far back as I can remember (Tingelhoff) the Vikings have always been blessed with damn good starting centers.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #33
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    Much better.

    I hope you guys enjoyed to opportunity to reminisce.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  4. #34
    jkjuggalo's Avatar
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,131

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    This team was much different from that team.
    This team is better.
    This team is better at running the ball and stopping the run.

    People talk about us losing to Washington like it was ashocking thing.
    Nope, go look up the vikings records against Washington in the 80's.
    They beat us pretty soundly for every game of that decade.

    The reason was a flaw in our scheme.
    We were finesse team.
    We chose to use quick backs like DJ Dozier and Darren Nelson to run traps and misdirections stuff.
    We also had a powerful air attack.

    Yet Defensively as much as I love Keith Millard,
    Hardware Hank and the Doug Martin, they got run over by the power teams like Washington.
    They would just wear em down.
    Little runs in 1st and second quarter would be big ones by the fourth.
    It was sick to watch

    This years Vikings team is not a finesse team, which I'm ecstatic about because for once we get to dictate the game.


    The Vikings of the late 80's and early 90's never could do that.

    Mike

    .


    This team is good, but I don't know if they are better.
    Anthony Carter was awesome.
    He set an NFL record at the time with 227 yards receiving in the 49ers game.
    I remember Burnsie having him return punts in the playoffs also.
    I do believe he took one to the house against the Saints.
    I wonder if Sidney Rice can be the next AC.
    Nobody on this team will be the next AC.
    Carter is the reason I became a Vikings fan and IMO we have not had a more complete WR since he left.
    We still had great WR's with CC and Moss, but AC was able to do it all, on and off the field.
    I'd be happy if Sidney became the next CC or Moss, but he and AC are completely different receivers.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

  5. #35
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    This team was much different from that team.
    This team is better.
    This team is better at running the ball and stopping the run.

    People talk about us losing to Washington like it was ashocking thing.
    Nope, go look up the vikings records against Washington in the 80's.
    They beat us pretty soundly for every game of that decade.

    The reason was a flaw in our scheme.
    We were finesse team.
    We chose to use quick backs like DJ Dozier and Darren Nelson to run traps and misdirections stuff.
    We also had a powerful air attack.

    Yet Defensively as much as I love Keith Millard,
    Hardware Hank and the Doug Martin, they got run over by the power teams like Washington.
    They would just wear em down.
    Little runs in 1st and second quarter would be big ones by the fourth.
    It was sick to watch

    This years Vikings team is not a finesse team, which I'm ecstatic about because for once we get to dictate the game.


    The Vikings of the late 80's and early 90's never could do that.

    Mike

    .


    This team is good, but I don't know if they are better.
    Anthony Carter was awesome.
    He set an NFL record at the time with 227 yards receiving in the 49ers game.
    I remember Burnsie having him return punts in the playoffs also.
    I do believe he took one to the house against the Saints. I wonder if Sidney Rice can be the next AC.
    Nobody on this team will be the next AC.
    Carter is the reason I became a Vikings fan and IMO we have not had a more complete WR since he left.
    We still had great WR's with CC and Moss, but AC was able to do it all, on and off the field.
    I'd be happy if Sidney became the next CC or Moss, but he and AC are completely different receivers.
    Then that must mean you missed out on Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White.

  6. #36
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    This team was much different from that team.
    This team is better.
    This team is better at running the ball and stopping the run.

    People talk about us losing to Washington like it was ashocking thing.
    Nope, go look up the vikings records against Washington in the 80's.
    They beat us pretty soundly for every game of that decade.

    The reason was a flaw in our scheme.
    We were finesse team.
    We chose to use quick backs like DJ Dozier and Darren Nelson to run traps and misdirections stuff.
    We also had a powerful air attack.

    Yet Defensively as much as I love Keith Millard,
    Hardware Hank and the Doug Martin, they got run over by the power teams like Washington.
    They would just wear em down.
    Little runs in 1st and second quarter would be big ones by the fourth.
    It was sick to watch

    This years Vikings team is not a finesse team, which I'm ecstatic about because for once we get to dictate the game.


    The Vikings of the late 80's and early 90's never could do that.

    Mike

    .


    This team is good, but I don't know if they are better.
    Anthony Carter was awesome.
    He set an NFL record at the time with 227 yards receiving in the 49ers game.
    I remember Burnsie having him return punts in the playoffs also.
    I do believe he took one to the house against the Saints. I wonder if Sidney Rice can be the next AC.
    Nobody on this team will be the next AC.
    Carter is the reason I became a Vikings fan and IMO we have not had a more complete WR since he left.
    We still had great WR's with CC and Moss, but AC was able to do it all, on and off the field.
    I'd be happy if Sidney became the next CC or Moss, but he and AC are completely different receivers.
    Then that must mean you missed out on Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White.
    IMHO I believe Chris Carter was possibly the second or third best receiver in NFL history.
    He didn't quite have that quickness like Rice did which knocks him down a notch, but he had hands like super glue.
    One of the biggest team players the Vikings have had and he is the reason Moss was superman in those earlier years.
    And as far as possession receivers, if I needed one guy to get me 10 yards for a first down there isn't one person I'd rather have on that field than Chris Carter, just imagine if instead of Moss being complimented with Wes Welker for Tom Brady it was Carter in his prime?
    Now that would be sick.

  7. #37
    jkjuggalo's Avatar
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,131

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    This team was much different from that team.
    This team is better.
    This team is better at running the ball and stopping the run.

    People talk about us losing to Washington like it was ashocking thing.
    Nope, go look up the vikings records against Washington in the 80's.
    They beat us pretty soundly for every game of that decade.

    The reason was a flaw in our scheme.
    We were finesse team.
    We chose to use quick backs like DJ Dozier and Darren Nelson to run traps and misdirections stuff.
    We also had a powerful air attack.

    Yet Defensively as much as I love Keith Millard,
    Hardware Hank and the Doug Martin, they got run over by the power teams like Washington.
    They would just wear em down.
    Little runs in 1st and second quarter would be big ones by the fourth.
    It was sick to watch

    This years Vikings team is not a finesse team, which I'm ecstatic about because for once we get to dictate the game.


    The Vikings of the late 80's and early 90's never could do that.

    Mike

    .


    This team is good, but I don't know if they are better.
    Anthony Carter was awesome.
    He set an NFL record at the time with 227 yards receiving in the 49ers game.
    I remember Burnsie having him return punts in the playoffs also.
    I do believe he took one to the house against the Saints. I wonder if Sidney Rice can be the next AC.
    Nobody on this team will be the next AC.
    Carter is the reason I became a Vikings fan and IMO we have not had a more complete WR since he left.
    We still had great WR's with CC and Moss, but AC was able to do it all, on and off the field.
    I'd be happy if Sidney became the next CC or Moss, but he and AC are completely different receivers.
    Then that must mean you missed out on Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White.
    Correct.
    I was not born yet.
    I've seen the old highlights, but AC will always be near and dear to my heart.
    I always tried to emulate him when I played football.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

  8. #38
    Turboe's Avatar
    Turboe is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,593

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I was 3 years old. I don't remember pooh about that year. Who were our best players?
    Not necessarily all best plays, but most you may recognize;

    RB Alfred Anderson
    LB Walker Lee Ashley
    LB Ray Berry
    DB Rufus Bess
    S Joey Browner
    WR Anthony Carter
    P Greg Coleman
    DE Chris Doleman
    RB D. J. Dozier
    RB Rick Fenney
    QB Rich Gannon
    CB Issiac Holt
    T Tim Irwin
    WR Hassan Jones
    TE Steve Jordan
    QB Tommy Kramer
    WR Terry LeCount
    CB Carl Lee
    WR Leo Lewis
    C Kirk Lowdermilk
    DE/NT Doug Martin
    DT Keith Millard
    TE/HC Mike Mularkey
    K Chuck Nelson
    RB Darrin Nelson
    DT Tim Newton
    RB Allen Rice
    LB Randy Scott
    P Bucky Scribner
    LB Jesse Solomon
    LB Scott Studwell
    C/G/T Dennis Swilley
    T/G Terry Tausch
    DT Henry Thomas
    QB Wade Wilson
    T Gary Zimmerman
    Ahh yes, I remember this team.
    But can anyone help me out, and remind me why we had two punters?

  9. #39
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "Turboe" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I was 3 years old. I don't remember pooh about that year. Who were our best players?
    Not necessarily all best plays, but most you may recognize;

    RB Alfred Anderson
    LB Walker Lee Ashley
    LB Ray Berry
    DB Rufus Bess
    S Joey Browner
    WR Anthony Carter
    P Greg Coleman
    DE Chris Doleman
    RB D. J. Dozier
    RB Rick Fenney
    QB Rich Gannon
    CB Issiac Holt
    T Tim Irwin
    WR Hassan Jones
    TE Steve Jordan
    QB Tommy Kramer
    WR Terry LeCount
    CB Carl Lee
    WR Leo Lewis
    C Kirk Lowdermilk
    DE/NT Doug Martin
    DT Keith Millard
    TE/HC Mike Mularkey
    K Chuck Nelson
    RB Darrin Nelson
    DT Tim Newton
    RB Allen Rice
    LB Randy Scott
    P Bucky Scribner
    LB Jesse Solomon
    LB Scott Studwell
    C/G/T Dennis Swilley
    T/G Terry Tausch
    DT Henry Thomas
    QB Wade Wilson
    T Gary Zimmerman
    Ahh yes, I remember this team.
    But can anyone help me out, and remind me why we had two punters?
    We didn't. Actually we had 3. We also had Dave Bruno.

    Scribner was a Packer castaway who was here & played in 4 games.

    Coleman war our regular punter. I'm guessing, based on the stats, he was either injured or on the down side of his career & they brought in Scribner or Bruno first to look for a replacement or improvement & then brought in the other when the other one didn't work out.

    What's strange is we went to the Championship that year, 19 games total, yet if you add up the total games we had punter playing in, it only adds up to 15.
    :-\

    PUNTING

    Name GP PT YDS LNG BLK TB I20 NET AVG

    Greg Coleman 9 45 1786 54 1 3 5 30.5 39.7

    Bucky Scribner 4 20 827 54 0 1 4 36.4 41.4


    Dave Bruno 2 13 464 53 0 1 2 32.5 35.7

    http://www.databasefootball.com/teams/teamyear.htm?tm=MIN&lg=nfl&yr=1987



    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #40
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I was 3 years old. I don't remember pooh about that year. Who were our best players?
    Not necessarily all best plays, but most you may recognize;

    RB Alfred Anderson
    LB Walker Lee Ashley
    LB Ray Berry
    DB Rufus Bess
    S Joey Browner
    WR Anthony Carter
    P Greg Coleman
    DE Chris Doleman
    RB D. J. Dozier
    RB Rick Fenney
    QB Rich Gannon
    CB Issiac Holt
    T Tim Irwin
    WR Hassan Jones
    TE Steve Jordan
    QB Tommy Kramer
    WR Terry LeCount
    CB Carl Lee
    WR Leo Lewis
    C Kirk Lowdermilk
    DE/NT Doug Martin
    DT Keith Millard
    TE/HC Mike Mularkey
    K Chuck Nelson
    RB Darrin Nelson
    DT Tim Newton
    RB Allen Rice
    LB Randy Scott
    P Bucky Scribner
    LB Jesse Solomon
    LB Scott Studwell
    C/G/T Dennis Swilley
    T/G Terry Tausch
    DT Henry Thomas
    QB Wade Wilson
    T Gary Zimmerman
    Ahh yes, I remember this team.
    But can anyone help me out, and remind me why we had two punters?
    We didn't. Actually we had 3. We also had Dave Bruno.

    Scribner was a Packer castaway who was here & played in 4 games.

    Coleman war our regular punter. I'm guessing, based on the stats, he was either injured or on the down side of his career & they brought in Scribner or Bruno first to look for a replacement or improvement & then brought in the other when the other one didn't work out.

    What's strange is we went to the Championship that year, 19 games total, yet if you add up the total games we had punter playing in, it only adds up to 15.
    :-\

    PUNTING

    Name GP PT YDS LNG BLK TB I20 NET AVG

    Greg Coleman 9 45 1786 54 1 3 5 30.5 39.7

    Bucky Scribner 4 20 827 54 0 1 4 36.4 41.4


    Dave Bruno 2 13 464 53 0 1 2 32.5 35.7

    http://www.databasefootball.com/teams/teamyear.htm?tm=MIN&lg=nfl&yr=1987


    I think that may only be the regular season stats.
    That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
  2. Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings
    By Boyum in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
  3. Vikings: Striking memories - The 1987 strike
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 11:17 AM
  4. This years Vikings: Shades of last years Saints?
    By baumy300 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 04:05 PM
  5. The similarities between the Vikings and the movie Eddie
    By zakvikes2k in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •