hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

Re: 2 things I have never seen before !

"V4L" wrote:
    this thread sucks
    agreed

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Particularly the fact that the Panthers came back in their previous two games, winning in the final minute. I really can't believe what we did. We were in the red zone and instead of running out the clock with a running play, we give the ball back to a team that had come from behind in the final minute of their previous games. It is really amazing. And they had Steve Smith on the field. I can't understand it.
    that is stupid they had no timeouts meaning it didnt matter if we ran it or kneeled it we took the maximum amount of time off the clock

"thevikingfan" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Particularly the fact that the Panthers came back in their previous two games, winning in the final minute. I really can't believe what we did. We were in the red zone and instead of running out the clock with a running play, we give the ball back to a team that had come from behind in the final minute of their previous games. It is really amazing. And they had Steve Smith on the field. I can't understand it.
    that is stupid they had no timeouts meaning it didnt matter if we ran it or kneeled it we took the maximum amount of time off the clock
    We did take very close to the maximum amount of time off the clock considering we were not trying to get a first down, but we could have:
    -gotten a first down and run out the clock
    -scored a touchdown on 4th down and made a comeback even more improbable
    -gotten more yardage, making it slightly harder for Carolina to score

Again, it's not a huge deal in the sense that the chance of a comeback was never significant.
    But does anyone here believe that the play call on 4th down increased the Vikings chances of winning compared to a run up the middle?
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

IMO, every play could result in an injury.

The chance of the Panthers scoring twice in 32 seconds is far less than someone getting injured.

The Vikes offense also had played alot given the TOP.
    So give them a well deserved break.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

did you guys really expect the panthers to come back from 10 down in 34 seconds starting at our 10?after already getting sacked 5 times and being in prevent coverage?

"gagarr" wrote:
    IMO, every play could result in an injury.

The chance of the Panthers scoring twice in 32 seconds is far less than someone getting injured.

The Vikes offense also had played alot given the TOP.
    So give them a well deserved break.
    I hadn't considered the injury factor.

But given that we had a chance to get a first down, doesn't that just shift the injury risk to the defense?

Certainly a good argument there though, since the chances of getting a first down on fourth and long with a run up the middle is minimal.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"thevikingfan" wrote:
    did you guys really expect the panthers to come back from 10 down in 34 seconds starting at our 10?after already getting sacked 5 times and being in prevent coverage?
    No...

We've been through a lot as Vikings fans though, particularly the last few years, so anything is possible.
    ;D

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

With a good play and a W ,starting this thread is
    nonsesnse.
    El underdog.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    This was a big win for us. 5 sacks, Frerotte stepping up on that drive. Really good stuff. Frerotte and Allen looked great today, as did most of the team. The defense was amazing.

Don't get me wrong, this was big, and I like it a lot.

The only thing is, I have two minor issues:

- We took a knee at the end of the game, but then left enough time on the clock for the Panthers to start a drive. I almost could not believe my eyes. I think I have never seen that ever in the NFL. Who does that ? Who leaves 32 seconds on the clock after taking a knee ??? Is this not a major indicator that there is something wrong with our coaching staff ??

- Childress: he had on this black and white jumpsuit. I strained my eyes to find anything purple or Viking on it. Again, I have never seen this: a head coach on Sunday not in "uniform", i.e. wearing clothing with ZERO reference to the team that writes his checks every week. What the hell is going on here ?
    You seem to be the type who would bitch if PPO got you laid.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Bretto007 is offline Rookie

I agree with taking a knee, why risk a handoff?
    Also if the vikings make a FG there then we have to kick it off to them.
    Our special teams have been playing poorly lately so why not have them try to march the length of the field from their own 10 with no timeouts instead of giving them a chance to return a kickoff for a touchdown or better field position.

I have to admit, I am always nervous until the game is actually over.
    Steve Smith is a gamebreaker who is always a danger to take one to the house.
    Brad Childress is 1-6 in games played Dec. 17 or later.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast