Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: 2 things I have never seen before !

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    no it was mis managed time.
    what if we were only up a fg
    Stillpurple would not have mentioned it because they would have kicked a fieldgoal or scored a TD.... We Won, we did a lot of good things and had some screw ups (but nothing that costed us the game)....

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I agree that we won and it is all good. The only reason I am mentioning it is, I don't want us to do this again. I think we need to think about this. Taking a knee and then leaving 32 seconds on the clock for a team that has a history of coming from behind in dramatic fashion in the final seconds is not cool.

Re Chilly's wardrobe, I am willing to let that slide. I respect the coach. At least he is fit (did you see Phili Coach Reid today ? God, that dude is obese !! Childress is fit and I respect that). I just would like to see him wear purple next time.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:
    This was a big win for us. 5 sacks, Frerotte stepping up on that drive. Really good stuff. Frerotte and Allen looked great today, as did most of the team. The defense was amazing.

Don't get me wrong, this was big, and I like it a lot.

The only thing is, I have two minor issues:

- We took a knee at the end of the game, but then left enough time on the clock for the Panthers to start a drive. I almost could not believe my eyes. I think I have never seen that ever in the NFL. Who does that ? Who leaves 32 seconds on the clock after taking a knee ??? Is this not a major indicator that there is something wrong with our coaching staff ??

- Childress: he had on this black and white jumpsuit. I strained my eyes to find anything purple or Viking on it. Again, I have never seen this: a head coach on Sunday not in "uniform", i.e. wearing clothing with ZERO reference to the team that writes his checks every week. What the hell is going on here ?
    We were up by 2 possessions.... thats why it wasn't such a bad thign to do.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Particularly the fact that the Panthers came back in their previous two games, winning in the final minute. I really can't believe what we did. We were in the red zone and instead of running out the clock with a running play, we give the ball back to a team that had come from behind in the final minute of their previous games. It is really amazing. And they had Steve Smith on the field. I can't understand it.
    Holy shit do you guys realize what the situation was??
    The panthers needed TWO scores.
    I dare you to find someone who has won a game down TWO scores with 30 seconds to go.
    Seriously, it was a great win, defense gave up nothing in the second half.
    The thing I loved was that we didn't play the prevent defense that we usually do at the end of the game.
    Instead, we whooped the shit outta them and made sure we got a win...and I gotta say, Gus definitely proved me wrong.

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I agree that we won and it is all good. The only reason I am mentioning it is, I don't want us to do this again. I think we need to think about this. Taking a knee and then leaving 32 seconds on the clock for a team that has a history of coming from behind in dramatic fashion in the final seconds is not cool.
    Again, I agree with your thinking almost entirely.
    I wouldn't be so worried just because they came back the previous couple of weeks, but that doesn't change the calls you need to make.

Coaches make the same calls over and over again.
    If the coach makes the wrong call he hurts his teams chances of winning.
    If the coach makes the same wrong call consistently, then eventually that wrong call will translate into losses.

The fact that in this case the opponent didn't take advantage of the teams mistakes does not mean that mistakes did not happen.

When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

They needed 2 scores homie

"hailtocarter" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Particularly the fact that the Panthers came back in their previous two games, winning in the final minute. I really can't believe what we did. We were in the red zone and instead of running out the clock with a running play, we give the ball back to a team that had come from behind in the final minute of their previous games. It is really amazing. And they had Steve Smith on the field. I can't understand it.
    Holy shit do you guys realize what the situation was??
    The panthers needed TWO scores.
    I dare you to find someone who has won a game down TWO scores with 30 seconds to go.
    Seriously, it was a great win, defense gave up nothing in the second half.
    The thing I loved was that we didn't play the prevent defense that we usually do at the end of the game.
    Instead, we whooped the shit outta them and made sure we got a win...and I gotta say, Gus definitely proved me wrong.
    Okay.
    The Cowboys last year against the Bills.
    They were down 14-24 with less than thirty seconds remaining and won in regulation.
    There are many other examples, but I'm not going to find them all.

The point is that as improbable as it may be, it was still possible for the Panthers to come back and win.
    Given that, it is the job of the coaches to call the game in a way that maximizes the team's chances to win.
    Even if that only means going from a 99% chance of winning to a 99.9% chance.

Oh, and this isn't unique to football.
    Strange things happen in every sport:

[youtube=425,350]PATkYHF1dEU[/youtube]

If you play enough games, sooner or later you will see everything.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    no it was mis managed time.
    what if we were only up a fg
    What if we were up 5 touchdowns???
    That is a stupid question.
    We were NOT only up by a fg so the situation dictated the actions.
    If we were only up a fg then you would have seen something different...duh.

vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

still is time mis management

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

this thread sucks

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast