Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

2 things I have never seen before !

This was a big win for us. 5 sacks, Frerotte stepping up on that drive. Really good stuff. Frerotte and Allen looked great today, as did most of the team. The defense was amazing.

Don't get me wrong, this was big, and I like it a lot.

The only thing is, I have two minor issues:

- We took a knee at the end of the game, but then left enough time on the clock for the Panthers to start a drive. I almost could not believe my eyes. I think I have never seen that ever in the NFL. Who does that ? Who leaves 32 seconds on the clock after taking a knee ??? Is this not a major indicator that there is something wrong with our coaching staff ??

- Childress: he had on this black and white jumpsuit. I strained my eyes to find anything purple or Viking on it. Again, I have never seen this: a head coach on Sunday not in "uniform", i.e. wearing clothing with ZERO reference to the team that writes his checks every week. What the hell is going on here ?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 2 things I have never seen before !

32 seconds isn't enough time to go 90 yards with no timeouts then get an onside kick and hit a field goal. Especailly considering our defense owned them all game after a few lucky plays that got them into scoring position. No need to fumble an exchange or even get someone hurt. No Issue here.

Brad Childress's clothing does not affect me at all, putting W's in the Winner column does. No Issue here.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:
    This was a big win for us. 5 sacks, Frerotte stepping up on that drive. Really good stuff. Frerotte and Allen looked great today, as did most of the team. The defense was amazing.

Don't get me wrong, this was big, and I like it a lot.

The only thing is, I have two minor issues:

- We took a knee at the end of the game, but then left enough time on the clock for the Panthers to start a drive. I almost could not believe my eyes. I think I have never seen that ever in the NFL. Who does that ? Who leaves 32 seconds on the clock after taking a knee ??? Is this not a major indicator that there is something wrong with our coaching staff ??

- Childress: he had on this black and white jumpsuit. I strained my eyes to find anything purple or Viking on it. Again, I have never seen this: a head coach on Sunday not in "uniform", i.e. wearing clothing with ZERO reference to the team that writes his checks every week. What the hell is going on here ?
    The kneel down thing is pretty easy to figure out if you think about the score at that point in time.
    By the way, did it not work out?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

yeah i was kinda pissed cuz i wanted peterson to score but i knew they where making the right call when they kneed it

As to the first issue, that was just ridiculous.
    I'm sure that some people will claim that there was no chance for the Panthers to come back, but the fact of the matter is that with 0:32 left on the clock there are still scenarios that end with the Vikings losing the game.
    Not likely scenarios, but a chance none the less.

The correct calls, in my opinion, would be to either kneel it on third or make sure your running back knows not to go into the endzone.
    Then on fourth down you run the ball up the middle with the fullback and see what happens.
    You keep the halfback watching as a safety in case of a fumble, but it is nearly impossible for a fumble near the line to be returned anyway.

As to the second issue, I'm sure that there were numerous Reebok logos, and possibly a small Vikings logo as well.
    Also, at one time and still in San Francisco, it was standard issue to wear a suit and tie as opposed to a sponsor's gear.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

no it was mis managed time.
    what if we were only up a fg

hav0x is offline Pro-Bowler

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    We weren't, which is why we did it that way. What if's don't matter in the NFL.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Particularly the fact that the Panthers came back in their previous two games, winning in the final minute. I really can't believe what we did. We were in the red zone and instead of running out the clock with a running play, we give the ball back to a team that had come from behind in the final minute of their previous games. It is really amazing. And they had Steve Smith on the field. I can't understand it.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    if we where only up a fg we wouldnt have kneed it...

ragz is offline GM

the qb positions play was not much different from the first 2 games.
    difference today, the defense made a play and kept a team down for pretty much the whole game.
    berrian caught a bomb on not a great throw.
    a wr actually adjusted and made a nice catch, amazing how that works eh?
    shank didnt drop his td.
    we threw the ball twice as much as we have all year in the first half and still only had 3 offensive points to show for it.
    and only 13 for the game.
    the thing you have to like is the way they mixed it up more, even with getting chester some more carries.
    you can see how their different styles, taylor, petersen, really do add something.
    plus alot more playaction and not predictable run downs, pass downs.
    plus we had the lead in the 4th quarter and that offensive line took over and we pretty much ran the ball right down there throat for the game clinching field goal.
    the offensive line really has been pretty stellar besides the green bay game.
    i mean, i have not heard boo outta ryan cook and i'm pretty sure thats a good thing.
    carolina was definitely sloopy, but hopefully that had to do with our play and crowd noise.
    either way huge win and it doesnt get easier, now we gotta go to 3-0 titans.
    if we are gonna win games the way it seems we want to, the defense has to play like it did today, and berrian and others gotta make a play here or there.
    today we did, weeks one and 2 we didn't.
    lets keep it going.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast