Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

1st/2nd half pts 2008 Vikings season

I read a couple times on here about people spouting off about how the Vikings did in the first half versus second half in scoring versus their opponents.
    I put together these worthless statistics so a worthless conversation can ensue regarding the statistics.
    This is a compilation of all 17 games played in 2008.

[size=12pt]Overall:[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 222
    Opponents: 168

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 171
    Opponents: 191

[size=12pt]In games won:[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 142
    Opponents: 72

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 115
    Opponents: 98

[size=12pt]In games lost:[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 80
    Opponents: 96

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 56
    Opponents: 93

[size=12pt]Tied or behind at the half (3/8 were wins):[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 73
    Opponents: 109

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 87
    Opponents: 79

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: 1st/2nd half pts 2008 Vikings season

"Prophet" wrote:
    I read a couple times on here about people spouting off about how the Vikings did in the first half versus second half in scoring versus their opponents.
    I put together these worthless statistics so a worthless conversation can ensue regarding the statistics.
    This is a compilation of all 17 games played in 2008.

[size=12pt]Overall:[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 222
    Opponents: 168

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 171
    Opponents: 191

[size=12pt]In games won:[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 142
    Opponents: 72

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 115
    Opponents: 98

[size=12pt]In games lost:[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 80
    Opponents: 96

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 56
    Opponents: 93

[size=12pt]Tied or behind at the half (3/8 were wins):[/size]

1st half scoring
    Vikings: 73
    Opponents: 109

2nd half scoring
    Vikings: 87
    Opponents: 79

so basically that says to me that we have trouble stopping the opponent after the half... unless we are down.. but regardless we are down so much that we end up loosing anyway...

it also says, to me that we have more trouble scoring in the 2nd half versus the first half, which means that our coaching staff either doesn't make the necessary adjustments or the other team makes better ones, or both..

DAMN!!.. if you look at it that way, we can't win for loosing... no pun intended!!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Good stuff. Not sure what it all means though.
    My best guess is that it shows a failure of the coaching staff to adjust in the second half. The defense is giving up more points and the offense is scoring less in the second half. Doing well when behind I think is more an effect of our strong run defense(teams try to run when they have the lead).
    If we could play the second half like the first we would be in good shape.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    My best guess is that it shows a failure of the coaching staff to adjust in the second half. The defense is giving up more points and the offense is scoring less in the second half. Doing well when behind I think is more an effect of our strong run defense(teams try to run when they have the lead).

I'd like to see similar stats for some other teams and see how we compare.
    Its easy to say "coaches can't do this.." or our run defense lets us do that, but really, we have no idea how those stats rank up against other teams

How I see it though, is as follows.

we normally try to come out strong, If we're fortunate enough to get a good lead, we tend to go into ultra-conservative mode in the second half, which limits scoring and first downs, and gives the other team more opportunities to score.

As for the defense, when we're ahead, we normally force the other team to pass.
    we're not particuarly good against the pass, so having a team pass against us instead of run is a good way to allow lots of yardage and points.

The coaches need to look at it like its a race.
    pretend your in a 100m dash. YOu sprint as hard as you can and get a 5m lead.
    do you ease up halfway and let your competition catch yoU?
    Hell no, you keep sprinting as hard as you can untill you reach the finish line.
    Sure, you might pull a hammy on the way and end up losing, but more times than not, you'll end up ahead.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

When you see threads like this you do know the off-season has arrived
    El underdog.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    That's one of the reasons I looked at it this way, see if anything stands out at the macro-scale.
    I thought it was interesting that when they are tied or behind at the half they scored more pts on average.
    Sometimes it seemed as if the half-time adjustments were a reality, or lack thereof.
    That has always been overrated anyway, you're not changing the scheme at halftime.
    There are adjustments going on throughout the game.
    I've read various takes on the whole half-time adjustment argument and it seems to be a fallacy.
    Adjust throughout the game based on someone getting injured, some opposing tweak in a scheme that is causing problems, etc.
    Most of the preps are done the week before with film and coaching. Maybe smashing a chalkboard or giving some sort of inspirational pep talk does wonders, but, the actual scheme, doubtful.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"El" wrote:
    When you see threads like this you do know the off-season has arrived
    No, when you see threads about nothing, backwards threads, interview threads, no vowel threads, squirrel threads, etc. in the top 10 you know you are in the heat of the offseason.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    we'd be more than in good shape,

we'd be 6th in the league with 108 net points
    we'd be second in the league with 444 points for, and in the middle with 336 points againt

but when I compared those numbers with nfl.com, i found that they only have us as having 333 points against, meaning somewhere along the line, your numbers don't add up

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    That's one of the reasons I looked at it this way, see if anything stands out at the macro-scale.
    I thought it was interesting that when they are tied or behind at the half they scored more pts on average.
    Sometimes it seemed as if the half-time adjustments were a reality, or lack thereof.
    That has always been overrated anyway, you're not changing the scheme at halftime.
    There are adjustments going on throughout the game.
    I've read various takes on the whole half-time adjustment argument and it seems to be a fallacy.
    Adjust throughout the game based on someone getting injured, some opposing tweak in a scheme that is causing problems, etc.
    Most of the preps are done the week before with film and coaching. Maybe smashing a chalkboard or giving some sort of inspirational pep talk does wonders, but, the actual scheme, doubtful.
    yeah, but you must adjust to some unforseeen tweak they do against you.. so whether it's lack of adjustments, or our guys getting tired or lacking focus, whatever....

the fact of the matter is we play worse coming out of half time... so who knows...

Here's the raw data taken from nfl.com:

vikings opponent vikings opponent
    game 1 1st half 3 10 2nd half 16 14
    game 2 1st half 9 0 2nd half 6 18
    game 3 1st half 10 10 2nd half 10 0
    game 4 1st half 10 20 2nd half 7 10
    game 5 1st half 20 10 2nd half 10 17
    game 6 1st half 2 3 2nd half 10 7
    game 7 1st half 24 27 2nd half 17 21
    game 8 1st half 21 7 2nd half 7 14
    game 9 1st half 14 10 2nd half 14 17
    game 10 1st half 13 6 2nd half 0 13
    game 11 1st half 17 10 2nd half 13 2
    game 12 1st half 17 7 2nd half 17 7
    game 13 1st half 3 6 2nd half 17 10
    game 14 1st half 28 0 2nd half 7 14
    game 15 1st half 7 17 2nd half 10 7
    game 16 1st half 10 9 2nd half 10 10
    playoffs 1st half 14 16 2nd half 0 10
    222 168 171 191

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast