Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

With the 19th Pick the Vikings select..........

"Hawgski" wrote:
    "willbjammin" wrote:
    they might take odom

Wow. Profound statement.

If we were to take Vilma, he would stay inside and EJ would be moved to the WILL. Vilma is a PURE MIKE LB.

DJ Williams is the best OLB, he might not make it past the Jets, even if he did, he is not very smart.

Karlos Dansby, is probably the next best OLB, not as aggresive as Williams, but smarter.

Overall, Vilma is the best LB in this years draft. If we don't draft LB in the 1st round, look for us to take Lehman, Boulware, or Thomas in the second. :rr:

Actually Vilma is gonna be an OLB in the NFL. He is only 235 LBS and is very fast. EJ will still be our MLB if we take Vilma. Vilma is also much faster than EJ, which we need on the outside more the the inside. According to Mel Kiper, Vilma will only play in the middle in a 3-4 D, and maybe not even then.

It really sounds like Tice wants to move down some a get another first day pick. There might be some teams looking to jump up and take one of the 3 1st round RB's, which would allow us to move down and maybe still get a guy like Vilma, HOPEFULLY.

"sitandbehitski" wrote:
    If VIlma and D.J. are available, take Vilma. If E.J. Keeps getting DUI's get rid of him and switch Vilma to Mike.

I agree totally, that we should take Vilma over DJ. DJ is gonna be drafted on potential, which I never like. It means he didn't put up 1st round worthy #'s in college, but his workout #'s look so good, that we can make him into a good player. Raonall Smith rings a bell here. Vilma has the stats to prove what he can do. He would fit in perfect with EJ and claiborne. He would be our speed backer, but he can also hit like crazy.

One thing to consider is Williams is better on the blitz and getting to the quarterback(correct me if I am wrong), and that's something the Vikings need is qb pressure.

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    One thing to consider is Williams is better on the blitz and getting to the quarterback(correct me if I am wrong), and that's something the Vikings need is qb pressure.

Here are there stats for last year

Vilma had 127 tackles and 1 sack
    DJ had 82 tackles and 6 sacks

so yes, DJ did get to the QB more, but he did have more chances playing on the outside. The MLB has more chances for tackles though, so that would give Vilma more of an advantage in those stats. Vilma definately has the speed to get to the QB if he plays on the outside. I like both guys, but Vilma seems like the better choice to me and more of a sure thing. I would in no way be disappointed if we got DJ though.

willbjammin is offline Rookie

defense

"willbjammin" wrote:
    defense
    really...
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

Hawgski is offline Pro-Bowler

It took me a while to find it again, but here is the quote:

:cheers:

Unlike the quiet Williams, Vilma is a Ray Lewis type leader. Fittingly, he plays the middle even though he's considered a little small for the position -- 6-0, 233. The scouts, coaches and general managers who attended the school's workouts couldn't help but notice that Vilma ran the sessions as if he was a coach. He pointed players to get to the right spot. He encouraged them. He gave them pointers.

Vilma is a leader. He didn't come to Miami with the same accolades as Williams. He grew up in Coral Gables. His mother and father grew up in Haiti. In Haiti, it's unlikely a child would get the opportunity to earn a living in sports, so education is important and his parents wouldn't let him play football until high school.

Though Vilma may be perceived to be undersized on the scales, he is a heavyweight in the classroom. He was a finance major with a 3.5 grade average and was an Academic All-American in 2003.

"The kid is just so smart," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "He puts up big numbers in games because he knows where to go. He can run and he can make plays. People talk about his size, but if you look back, Ray Lewis was exactly the same size as Jonathan coming out of college."

:cheers: ba-da-bing!

sig courtesy of PPE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123