Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

With the 19th Pick the Vikings select..........

Jonathin Vilma, this guy is gonna be a good linebacker in the NFL he has been the guy i have wanted since i started studien for the draft and here is more the reason why i want the vikes to get him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1782916

ESPN-John Clayton

Unlike the quiet Williams, Vilma is a Ray Lewis type leader. Fittingly, he plays the middle even though he's considered a little small for the position -- 6-0, 233. The scouts, coaches and general managers who attended the school's workouts couldn't help but notice that Vilma ran the sessions as if he was a coach. He pointed players to get to the right spot. He encouraged them. He gave them pointers.

Vilma is a leader. He didn't come to Miami with the same accolades as Williams. He grew up in Coral Gables. His mother and father grew up in Haiti. In Haiti, it's unlikely a child would get the opportunity to earn a living in sports, so education is important and his parents wouldn't let him play football until high school.

Though Vilma may be perceived to be undersized on the scales, he is a heavyweight in the classroom. He was a finance major with a 3.5 grade average and was an Academic All-American in 2003.

"The kid is just so smart," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "He puts up big numbers in games because he knows where to go. He can run and he can make plays. People talk about his size, but if you look back, Ray Lewis was exactly the same size as Jonathan coming out of college."

"I'm not concerned," Vilma said about his height and weight. "I've been playing middle linebacker since high school. They always said I was too small in high school, too small in college. So it's no different."

Williams has watched Vilma develop with amazement through their years together.

"He has great instincts," Williams said. "The coach will put something on the board and by the time we get out there, he'll never make a mistake. So I just watch him work, how he studies film, the mental reps. After a coach says it to him, he'll say it over and over and over again until it sticks in his head."

This guy is smart hes a tackling machine and hes a great leader and hes only 21 years old unbablievable, if he is as smart as they say he is then be moved to weakside LB, I could just imagine Claiborne,EJ, and Vilma one of the best LB corpse in the NFL. He never makes mistakes, he would be an impact player right away garunteed, I just hope and pray he is there at 19

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

If Will Smith isn't there, it would be great to get him, all the mocks I see have us taking a guard...Vernon Carey?? I think? That just makes me scratch my head. He would be a much better choice.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

I wouldn't mind him if Smith isn't there at 19!

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

willbjammin is offline Rookie

they might take odom

Hawgski is offline Pro-Bowler

"willbjammin" wrote:
    they might take odom

Wow. Profound statement.

If we were to take Vilma, he would stay inside and EJ would be moved to the WILL. Vilma is a PURE MIKE LB.

DJ Williams is the best OLB, he might not make it past the Jets, even if he did, he is not very smart.

Karlos Dansby, is probably the next best OLB, not as aggresive as Williams, but smarter.

Overall, Vilma is the best LB in this years draft. If we don't draft LB in the 1st round, look for us to take Lehman, Boulware, or Thomas in the second. :rr:

sig courtesy of PPE

willbjammin is offline Rookie

"Hawgski" wrote:
    "willbjammin" wrote:
    they might take odom

Wow. Profound statement.

If we were to take Vilma, he would stay inside and EJ would be moved to the WILL. Vilma is a PURE MIKE LB.

DJ Williams is the best OLB, he might not make it past the Jets, even if he did, he is not very smart.

Karlos Dansby, is probably the next best OLB, not as aggresive as Williams, but smarter.

Overall, Vilma is the best LB in this years draft. If we don't draft LB in the 1st round, look for us to take Lehman, Boulware, or Thomas in the second. :rr:
    so your saying they wouldn't take odom if smith and udeze are gone and their goal is de in the 1st round if indeed that is their goal

What I am saying, is, we will draft on BPA more than need. Yes we need help at DE, but we also need help at LB. At the 19th pick, there will be better value (more than likely) with a selection for LB, than DE.

Odom is a reach at 19, better suited for early second round. It is more likely that Odom will slide to our second round pick than Smith falling to the #19 pick. Even if Odom is not available at #50, there are several others (Hill, Laboy, Babin, Hilton) at the DE position which would be good value in the 2nd round.

THAT is what I am saying. :director:

sig courtesy of PPE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I still think that D.J. is a better choice. He is bigger, FASTER, stronger, versatile and more athletic. Who is to say he is not that smart? Maybe realtive to Vilma, but he is probably as smart as the rest of the players in the draft, which is smart enough to be a good football player. E.J. is not that suited be be an OLB. If we drafted Vilma (given E.J. can seem to drive while NOT drunk), he would most likely play OLB when Henderson is playing.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Stallion is right. It would be dumb to draft Vilma with DJ still on the board. The Jets have also said they would like to draft Vilma with their pick.

If Smith is gone, I sincerely hope we trade down and get Jason Babin. The guy has been productive all throughout his college career. We can grab an extra pick or 2, and use that to get Nick Kaeding or someone. I think we can call it a success if we get Babin and Boulware.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Stallion is right. It would be dumb to draft Vilma with DJ still on the board. The Jets have also said they would like to draft Vilma with their pick.

If Smith is gone, I sincerely hope we trade down and get Jason Babin. The guy has been productive all throughout his college career. We can grab an extra pick or 2, and use that to get Nick Kaeding or someone. I think we can call it a success if we get Babin and Boulware.
    Williams will be the 1st LB off the board. STALLION go check the wonderlic scores if you want to see where he is amongst his peers. (he scored a 10).

Vilma is better suited for the middle than EJ. Personally I would like to see us take Dansby over Vilma. But Tice is VERY high on Vilma. I tell ya what boys, if we can get a draft like last year, I'll be very happy!

sig courtesy of PPE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast