Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1998 vs 2004 roster

I think we are probably about the same as far as running backs go. Robert smith was awesome that year, then you add hoard and williams to the mix i would say it is about the same. I guess the only true way to no how this team stacks up with the team from 98 is to wait until the season is over.
    Deliver us oh Lord, from the Fury of the Northmen.
    "Anonymous Christian Monk"

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

1998 vs 2004 roster

Just a few notes:

Obviously Marcus Robinson is no Cris Carter, but Moss '04 is probably better than Moss '98. I think we were stronger at reciever in '98 but not ALOT stronger.

RB is about even to me. Robert Smith had a great year. We have more depth now. I hope Bennett returns to the form he had a couple years ago.

Culpepper is better tha Cunningham/Johnson.

Special teams was much better in '98.

Secondary is better now.

O-line was better then, but is pretty good now.. Just not a far of roseinthol.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

98 Team still has it over this squad

Keep in mind, the 04 Vikings are only paper tigers right now. The 98 Vikings were for real. I can only make assessments based on what I saw and know of how the 98 team played vs. how the 04 team MIGHT play. With that, here are some comments:

QB: Even though Johnson was hurt most of the season, Cunningham was the MVP, didn't throw an INT until well in the season. Culpepper and Frerotte are very good as well. Cunningham apparently needed Billick on the sidelines to coach him; when Billick left for the Ravens, Cunningham couldn't produce the same. However, we are talking about his 98 performance only. Slight Edge - 98

RB: Robert Smith, Leroy Hoard, and FB Chuck Evans vs Bennett, O. Smith and Williams. As good as the current guys are, I think Robert Smith was one of the greatest Vikings of all time. Slight Edge - 98

OL: All you really need to look at is Korey Stringer at RT vs Mike Rosenthal. And even though he is looking great, you're still talking about Bryant McKinnie vs. soon-to-be HOFer Randall McDaniel. Edge - 98

WR: Moss = Moss. Cris Carter > all the other WRs on the 04 squad put together. That doesn't even address Jake Reed and Matthew Hatchette. Big Edge - 98

TE: Kind of different skill set. Glover was more of a "go over the middle deep" TE where JK is an absolute road grader who can also catch the ball. I think JK has pretty good hands, could run deeper patterns if the OC would call them, and is an awesome blocker. Edge - 04

DT: As good as KW is, and Hovan could be, no way do these guys equal Randle and Ball. Big Edge - 98

DE: Did Doleman come back for 98, or was that 99 or 00? At any rate, assuming Doleman wasn't there in 98, I'll give Udeze the benefit of the doubt. I actually like Mixon despite the lack of sacks, and Johnstone played very well last year as a situational player. Slight edge - 04

MLB: EJ Henderson could wind up being the next great Vikings MLB, but Ed McDaniel was all over the field making plays. Edge - 98

OLB: A healthy Chris Claiborne (like we saw at the beginning of last season) was better than I ever saw Dwayne Rudd play. I don't remember who played most of the time at the other OLB in 98 (Edwards?), but I don't think they were anything special. On potential of Thomas, and what I've seen of Nattiel, Edge - 04

CB: Corey Fuller and Jimmy Hitchcock were a pretty good combo in 98. We've got Winfield's rep to go on (and few INTs) and an up-and-coming Brian Williams. About even.

S: I loved Robert Griffith's play, despite his stone hands. OT was adequate. Russell could be the second coming of OT. Chavous is pretty solid at safety. Based on last season's INTs alone, Edge - 04.

P: Berger's kickoffs get him the nod over Bennett. Both are fine punters. Edge - 98, only for the deep kickoffs

K: No question, Gary! Big Edge - 98

Remember, guys, we are talking about a 15-1 team who were a missed FG/dropped easy INT away from going to the Super Bowl vs. a very talented team that hasn't proven anything on the field yet. Ask me this question again at the end of the 04 season.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

1998 vs 2004 roster

I think you're giving our secondary and our D as a whole from '98 a little too much credit. We were completely offensively driven that year, overwhelming opponents with our sheer number of touchdowns. It was a thing of beauty to be sure, but I really believe we have a better D this year. Even last year we were still holding opponents to less than 20 points (most of the time). We're gonna be something special this year, I know it.
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

Mossville is offline Starter

1998 vs 2004 roster

"JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:
    I think you're giving our secondary and our D as a whole from '98 a little too much credit. We were completely offensively driven that year, overwhelming opponents with our sheer number of touchdowns. It was a thing of beauty to be sure, but I really believe we have a better D this year. Even last year we were still holding opponents to less than 20 points (most of the time). We're gonna be something special this year, I know it.
    Even the greatest Defense are going to have a hard time keeping teams from scoring minimal points when an Offense is scoring at will out there. We set the record for points in a season which means the other teams were throwing the ball alot to catch play catch up. Was the D great, no but they did what it takes to get the W. I think this years D could be great, but that basing alot on players who havent proved much yet(EJ, Kennechi, and Thomas) along with a 1 great year Russell. If they pan out, i think it will be a great year

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

1998 vs 2004 roster

"UTVikfan" wrote:
    On paper, we look great, btw, what ever happened to David Palmer? I loved that guy, and he just like disappeared after his knee injury.
    Yeah what did happen to me, I loved that guy also, great special teams player. I heard he got arrested for possesion like a year or to ago, but that doesn't explain where he went

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

1998 vs 2004 roster

Actually, Randall McDaniel was a LG, not a LT, Todd Stuessie was our LT that year, and dare I say, I think Bryant McKinnies better than Stuessie, and has way more potential. Although your right about Korey Stringer vs. Rosenthall, but what about Birk Vs. Christy? I think Birk is better than Christy.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

1998 vs 2004 roster

that was a great team ...man i miss those days

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

1998 vs 2004 roster

"sitandbehitski" wrote:
    Actually, Randall McDaniel was a LG, not a LT, Todd Stuessie was our LT that year, and dare I say, I think Bryant McKinnies better than Stuessie, and has way more potential. Although your right about Korey Stringer vs. Rosenthall, but what about Birk Vs. Christy? I think Birk is better than Christy.
    DOH! Of course you are right, McDaniel played LG. Then he gets the edge over Liewinski. And frankly, Steussie played pretty darn well. I thought Christy was pretty good too, but I agree, slight edge to Birk.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

1998 vs 2004 roster

thanks for the great analysis purplepat.... thats the kind of stuff i was looking for

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast