Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

1998 NFC Championship Game

Why in the hell did I do this to myself? Ok, I set the DVR to record the 1998 NFC Championship Game between the Vikings and Falcons at the Metrodome. I recorded it initially to just watch a classic game with some of my all time favorite players, to see the old uni's again, and basically to just watch a classic game.

I had no idea that I was just reliving a damn nightmare. Where do I begin? How about the fumble on the exchange from Christy to Cunningham when the Vikings were driving? How about being up by 7 points late in the 4th quarter with Gary Anderson coming on to kick a FG to put us up by 10 and he hasn't missed a FG in 2 years, and he misses the damn thing? How about on 2 different occasions after Anderson missed where Robert Griffith should have had a INT to put the game away? Or how about on one pass in the endzone, Cunningham lead Moss just a little to much and Randy got the tips of his fingers on the ball just to drop it when we all seen him make those plays routinely? Or how about on the same drive where Anderson missed the FG, if Moss would have been 3 feet to his left, they have a 60+ yard TD to put the game away?

I swear, I support the most cursed sports franchise in the history of sports. I was still shaking my head 14 years later saying how in the hell did they lose this game? The Falcons were not a better team than the Vikings, and they were playing in the hostile Metrodome. Again, how in the hell did the Vikings lose that game? All I can come up with is that the NFL Gods for whatever reason do not want the Vikings winning the SB. Which brings me to the 2009 NFC Championship game where the Saints cheated, and the officials allowed them to. The Saints were not better than the Vikings in 2009, and didn't deserve to be in the SB, much less win the damn thing.

Anyone else feel this way, that the Vikings are the most cursed team in the history of the NFL? All I can hope for is that once they get into their new stadium, that it is like a clean slate for them, a new beginning, and win the SB. I hope they do it before then, but how fitting would it be for them to win the SB in the very first year in the new stadium? Man, I hope they win a SB in my lifetime. I don't want my son in 34 years to be saying the same thing to his son.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Why in the hell did I do this to myself? Ok, I set the DVR to record the 1998 NFC Championship Game between the Vikings and Falcons at the Metrodome. I recorded it initially to just watch a classic game with some of my all time favorite players, to see the old uni's again, and basically to just watch a classic game.

I had no idea that I was just reliving a damn nightmare. Where do I begin? How about the fumble on the exchange from Christy to Cunningham when the Vikings were driving? How about being up by 7 points late in the 4th quarter with Gary Anderson coming on to kick a FG to put us up by 10 and he hasn't missed a FG in 2 years, and he misses the damn thing? How about on 2 different occasions after Anderson missed where Robert Griffith should have had a INT to put the game away? Or how about on one pass in the endzone, Cunningham lead Moss just a little to much and Randy got the tips of his fingers on the ball just to drop it when we all seen him make those plays routinely? Or how about on the same drive where Anderson missed the FG, if Moss would have been 3 feet to his left, they have a 60+ yard TD to put the game away?

I swear, I support the most cursed sports franchise in the history of sports. I was still shaking my head 14 years later saying how in the hell did they lose this game? The Falcons were not a better team than the Vikings, and they were playing in the hostile Metrodome. Again, how in the hell did the Vikings lose that game? All I can come up with is that the NFL Gods for whatever reason do not want the Vikings winning the SB. Which brings me to the 2009 NFC Championship game where the Saints cheated, and the officials allowed them to. The Saints were not better than the Vikings in 2009, and didn't deserve to be in the SB, much less win the damn thing.

Anyone else feel this way, that the Vikings are the most cursed team in the history of the NFL? All I can hope for is that once they get into their new stadium, that it is like a clean slate for them, a new beginning, and win the SB. I hope they do it before then, but how fitting would it be for them to win the SB in the very first year in the new stadium? Man, I hope they win a SB in my lifetime. I don't want my son in 34 years to be saying the same thing to his son.
    I've been tortured enough the first time through. I never watch reruns of Vikings losses, ever.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I am not into picking a scab just to watch it bleed.

WWBGD

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Well, the thing I remember most about that game is that right before the half Cunningham made a mistake. Can't remember if it was an INT, fumble or what but we had the lead and I looked at my wife, said we are going to lose this game, and went down the basement to work on a remodel project I was doing down there. I never watched the second half and still have not seen it to this day.

I have since considered it a blessing in disguise because I feel that we would have never beaten that particular Broncos team anyway and it was better to add another goose egg to the NFCCG than to the SB total.

The one that hurts the most is the NFCCG loss to the Skins. That SB we would have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Well, the thing I remember most about that game is that right before the half Cunningham made a mistake. Can't remember if it was an INT, fumble
    It was a fumble, he was winding up to throw it deep and was stripped from behind. Just so much shit went wrong in that game. If things that went wrong in that game would have went the same way as the rest of the games in that season, the Vikings would have blown the Falcons out. Just always seems to be that when this team has a chance to go to, and win the SB, something always happens to make sure they don't.

Just for the record, I think we could have beaten the Bronco's that year. That offense was lethal, one that could score in a matter of a few plays at any given time. Back when we had a QB that could throw downfield like it was nothing, and when we had WR's that could run a route and catch a ball. How I miss those days.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I am not into picking a scab just to watch it bleed.
    You don't have to. VFW picked it for you.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well, the thing I remember most about that game is that right before the half Cunningham made a mistake. Can't remember if it was an INT, fumble
    It was a fumble, he was winding up to throw it deep and was stripped from behind. Just so much shit went wrong in that game. If things that went wrong in that game would have went the same way as the rest of the games in that season, the Vikings would have blown the Falcons out. Just always seems to be that when this team has a chance to go to, and win the SB, something always happens to make sure they don't.

Just for the record, I think we could have beaten the Bronco's that year. That offense was lethal, one that could score in a matter of a few plays at any given time. Back when we had a QB that could throw downfield like it was nothing, and when we had WR's that could run a route and catch a ball. How I miss those days.
    Yeah but our defense was suspect and the offense had to score that much to win the games at times. And in the playoffs you need a defense good enough to take over if the offense hits a wall. Something that seems to be lost in many fans memories.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Serenity now...

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

ShowingMyHorns is offline Training Camp

I was 12 during this game. Remember it like it was yesterday. Mainly because it was the only time i saw my dad cry. That game was a true heart breaker.

Oh and 2009... I hate the f****** Saints. HATE the f****** Saints. That city is the armpit of America.

Yeah but our defense was suspect and the offense had to score that much to win the games at times. And in the playoffs you need a defense good enough to take over if the offense hits a wall. Something that seems to be lost in many fans memories.
    Our defense has been suspect since then as well. We had a good run defense, but our secondary has sucked for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast