Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    fromos is offline Rookie

In 1998-2004 Was it Possible For a MN QB to Fail?

Taking a look at our history, in 1998 we drafted Moss and instantly we had Carter (a 7x Pro Bowl receiver) and Moss (who is currently a 5x Pro Bowl receiver).

Cunningham took over after Johnson was injured in 1998, this was after he was widely believed to be washed up. With those two receivers on board Cunningham had best passer rating in the league (106.0), the second-most TD passes (34), the fifth-most passing yards (3,704), and was awarded NFL's MVP.

In 1999 Johnson was sent to Washington in favor of Cunningham starting in MN, but Cunningham was struggling so they put one of the league's worst QBs Jeff George in who had the best season of his career. George had 23 touchdowns, 8.6 yards per attempt, a 94.2 rating and led the Viking to the playoffs. Cunningham tried Dallas in 2000 and Baltimore in 2001 but was sent packing each time.

While Johnson had a great season in 1999 and went to the Pro Bowl, his 2000 season wasn't so hot so they put George in there (mostly because of his great 1999 season with the Vikes). George had the worst stats in the entire league and was benched in the 2nd game after going 0-2 embarrassingly. George never played in another NFL game again.

Culpepper took over in 2000 and we all know the story - look what happened when Moss left.

Edit: When Bouman took over after Culpepper was injured in a 2001 game against the Tennessee Titans, Bouman completed 21 of 31 passes for 384 yards and four touchdowns and was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

Edit: When culpepper was out for 2 games in 2003, Gus Frerotte lit it up and the vikes went 2-0. -thanks purplepride818

My question is, with the receivers we had in those periods was it possible to have a QB who didn't have the stats Culpepper did and go to the Pro Bowl at least 3 times?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: In 1998-2004 Was it Possible For a MN QB to Fail?

Yes it is possible.

Can you say "Spergon Wynn"

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    Yes it is possible.

you sir, are correct, 100%

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

You did a good job researching this. It is nice to see a post where the arguement isn't "Moss is what made Culpepper great. There were other factors as well. Other great recievers, an incredible running game in Robert Smith. The Minnesota Moving Company for the O-Line. Amazing offensive coaching with Linehan. And yes, it helps to have the best WR to ever play the game too.

No, I don't think that it was possible for any of the QBs we had to fail under those circumstances. It goes back to my arguement, that football is a team sport, and our games aren't won or lost on the shoulders of the QB.

FYI, I still think Daunte is a good QB. But you have a good point, and he may not be as good as his pre-2005 stats show. We'll find out next season...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

fromos is offline Rookie

When Bouman took over after Culpepper was injured in a 2001 game against the Tennessee Titans, Bouman completed 21 of 31 passes for 384 yards and four touchdowns and was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    Yes it is possible.

on a side note spergeon wynn played for my winnipeg blue bombers last year. he only got maybe 13 snaps all year, all in the preseason. he got pissed for not starting or even playing so he got traded to toronto a couple of weeks ago. we wasted a first round pick to get him out of BC, and that pick ended up being the #2 pick. in return for trading wynn to toronto we only got a second round pick IIRC, and some old saftey that's never started a game and never will! so basically he's a total bust in the CFL too!

thats the wynn report!

purplepride818 is offline Starter

not to mention when culpepper was out for 2 games in 2003, gus frerotte lit it up and the vikes went 2-0

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

if you couldnt throw far, you wouldnt be able to get the deep ball...

so yea, if the vikes would have had a really really really old qb.. they might not have had that good of a time..

not to mention, you at least need some brains to play qb..

so maybe like 1/100 would have messed up in minny during that time
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Nice post fromos. 1998 was when I came on board as a fan (I was 10, so don't associate me with the band wagon). Quarterbacks was what the Vikings were about and that was admirable to me. It's a shame we're quarterbackless right now, and I don't have the best gut feelings about the 37 year old Johnson, but none-the-less, good post.
    Sean Saunders

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

All I know is that the Vikes are back to getting veteran QBs on their last leg....just like in the 90s....except with the recieving core (the Vikes always had an awesome recieveing core....from the early 90s duo of Cris and Anthony Carter to the mid 90s duo of Cris Carter and Jake Reed to the Carter and Randy Moss years)

And we ran through the old geezers!
    First it was Jim McMahon
    Then it was Warren Moon
    Then finally some youth with Brad Johnson
    I think Jeff George came next...but he coulda came before
    Then Randall Cunningham
    Then the Culpepper era
    And now Brad Johnson again, but he's old

Are we better off? Not at the QB position...however, I say we could be after drafting a good QB prospect....

The team may be better than they were last year....can't wait to see em' on the field

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast