Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 16 Viking's Free Agents

I wouldn't mind chavous possibly being our FS but not our SS. Sharper is here to stay so chavous may be out of luck. I would like to see chavous stay as a backup but he's not gonna settle for that, if he stays and Offord gets healthy i think its likely he will be loosing his starting job.

well, chavous would be a solid backup, and obviously has the skills...he shall stay with us, train our backups, and retire purple and gold in a year or 2...

BearsFanGrrrr is offline Rookie

DA BEARS will scarf up the ones we think are worthy to wear a BEAR uniform ! :twisted:

GO BEARS ! :lol:
    I was a bad boy and was banned!
    I suck.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

:stfu: :tool:

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:
    DA BEARS will scarf up the ones we think are worthy to wear a BEAR uniform ! :twisted:

who do you think is worthy to wear your crappy uniform?

BearsFanGrrrr is offline Rookie

Prolly none, but we'll take a look see ! :twisted:

I was a bad boy and was banned!
    I suck.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

Pretty brave talking coming from a fan whose team has broken the .500 mark only twice in the last 10 years. :lol:

2005 - 11-4-0
    2004 - 5-11-0
    2003 - 7-9-0
    2002 - 4-12-0
    2001 - 13-3-0
    2000 - 5-11-0
    1999 - 6-10-0
    1998 - 4-12-0
    1997 - 4-12-0
    1996 - 7-9-0

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

From the Duluth News Tribune;

Posted on Sat, Dec. 31, 2005

[size=18px]Vikings' finale could see some farewells[/size]

LAST GAME:Minnesota has 16 players who will be free agents and a head coach facing uncertainty after Sunday's final regular season game.

MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE

MINNEAPOLIS - Coach Mike Tice isn't the only one whose Minnesota Vikings career might end following Sunday's NFL season finale against the Chicago Bears.

Sixteen players -- including six starters, a Pro Bowler and three former Pro Bowlers -- will be unrestricted free agents after the season. They can sign with another team beginning March 3.

"I have given it some thought that this could be my last game with the Vikings," said strong safety Corey Chavous, who will make his 75th consecutive regular-season start. "My mom and sister are coming, and I want this game to be special. And whatever happens, I want the fans to know it's been an honor to wear the purple and gold."

Chavous, however, wouldn't say whether he wants to return to the Vikings.
    "It depends on a lot of different factors," he said. "It's a lot of stuff I don't have the answers to right now."

Other impending free agents include the team's leading scorer (Paul Edinger), top tackler (Sam Cowart) and sack leader (Lance Johnstone), not to mention 2005 NFC Pro Bowl kick returner Koren Robinson.

"It'd be cool to come back here," Robinson said. "But we have to see what happens."

The Vikings are expected to push hard to re-sign Robinson, who, at 25, suddenly has become one of the younger, more valuable impending free agents in the league.

Another young Viking whose free-agent stock is rising is 26-year-old cornerback Brian Williams. He became a starter again seven games ago and made it clear he wants to remain a starter wherever he is in 2006.

"I've been a starter, and I feel I am a starter," Williams said. "I think we had a good situation here bringing in Fred (Smoot), and the first-round (restricted free agent) tender they put on me gave us a lot of guys. So, whatever happens, happens."

Williams was unhappy when his starting job was given to Smoot, the team's top free agent last spring. Williams filled in when Smoot was injured earlier this season, and he played so well, Smoot wasn't able to win the job back even after getting healthy.

Williams said he has no idea what will happen this offseason.
    "You have to talk to the guys upstairs," Williams said. "I don't know what direction they are going in or what they have planned. I'm open for suggestions."

Before the Vikings can evaluate their impending free agents, owner Zygi Wilf has to sign Tice, whose contract is up Jan. 31, or hire a new head coach. Player evaluation generally begins immediately after the season ends.

"The season ends, but it's not like we go on a six-week vacation," Tice said. "We will start out evaluating the talent on the team both offensively and defensively and then overall. We will start evaluating the free agents that we have, and we have 16 of them, and where do they fit in or don't fit in.... Zygi is aware of the situation, and I'm sure he will address it that way."

Cowart, Edinger and Johnstone were among the impending free agents who said they would like to return to the Vikings. Johnstone needs 2 sacks on Sunday to reach double digits for the third consecutive year.

"I'm going all out to get them on Sunday," said Johnstone, 32, who has 70 career sacks in 10 seasons. "But the ultimate goal is to get 100 sacks. I think I can do it because in the (pass rushing) role I'm in, I think I can play another four or five years.

"I'll definitely look around (in free agency), but I have no problem coming back here."

One player who probably won't be re-signed is running back Michael Bennett. He has had a series of disappointments and injuries since his Pro Bowl season in 2002.

"It's definitely an emotional time for myself and others," Bennett said. "I don't want to look at it as like my last day as a Viking... but if it is then I just have to deal with it."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"singersp" wrote:
    "BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

Pretty brave talking coming from a fan whose team has broken the .500 mark only twice in the last 10 years. :lol:

2005 - 11-4-0
    2004 - 5-11-0
    2003 - 7-9-0
    2002 - 4-12-0
    2001 - 13-3-0
    2000 - 5-11-0
    1999 - 6-10-0
    1998 - 4-12-0
    1997 - 4-12-0
    1996 - 7-9-0

BigDaddy is offline Waterboy

None of them.
    If you don t have anything nice to say about somebody, come sit by me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast