Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    LOL, you'll try anything these days won't you.......snicker.....

Quick question, why do they put the TE with the RT if he is so good at pass protection?
    Because that is usually the weaker of the two pass blockers. That in no way shape or form means good pass blocking RT's don't exist, like your claiming. They do exist & we don't have one.

Winston & Bulaga come to mind.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quick question, why do they put the TE with the RT if he is so good at pass protection?
    It has more to do with the majority of QB's being right handed and rolling to the right side of the line when they pass. If the TE lined up on the left side then the QB has to throw across his body and across the defense more often to make a completion to them. Having the TE there makes more sense, plus the TE also helps with the LB's on that side when they are rolling out.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It has more to do with the majority of QB's being right handed and rolling to the right side of the line when they pass. If the TE lined up on the left side then the QB has to throw across his body and across the defense more often to make a completion to them. Having the TE there makes more sense, plus the TE also helps with the LB's on that side when they are rolling out.
    I wanted to mention that in my post, but knew he would just accuse me of misinterpreting what he said.

The fact remains there are damn good pass blocking RT's in this league but Marrdro just doesn't want to acknowledge it because it counters his support for Loadholt.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Because that is usually the weaker of the two pass blockers. That in no way shape or form means good pass blocking RT's don't exist, like your claiming. They do exist & we don't have one.

Winston & Bulaga come to mind.

Eric Winston's had more false starts and given up more sacks with the same number of holds as Loadholt.

LINK

Bulaga has been on IR since early Nov with a dislocated hip

According to Pro Football Focus, Packers right tackle Bryan Bulaga has allowed 18 quarterback hurries, three sacks and three hits through the first five games.
    In 12 games last season, Bulaga allowed 21 hurries, one sack and two hits.
    Iím no math whiz, but after crunching those numbers, Bulaga has already allowed the same number of hurries, sacks and hits through five games in 2012 that he allowed in 12 games in 2011.

LINK

Now its not like I wouldn't like an upgrade but I also would like to keep some cohesion with the line but improve protection calls and really start looking to make the bigger commentments to the WR position for the offense and upgrade the DT and MLB to help shore up the defense.

Just saying there are lots of other needs not sure I want to create another need or over pay to bring in a free agent there and tie up cap space that could be used elsewhere.....Carlson part deux

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    LOL, no way your getting off that easy my friend. You said he wasn't good in space and would be back at DE as well. Said something about him only having straight line speed.

Get your fork out old friend.
    I don't get why I need the fork. Seems like I'm correct. They tried him at OLB... he was terrible and they moved him back to DE where he is excelling! I don't get where you are seeing. He does have impressive straight line speed but he does not have the lateral quickness to play LB. Will we occasionally get dropped back? Sure... teams do it with DL all the time, Hell Phat Pat was back in coverage a few times. However, this teams is best served with Griffen's hands in the ground and nose on the QB.... No crow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Actually it has to do with the side that most teams run towards. Before the past catching TE was a stable, the run game was the norm and most offensesive players were designed to be run to the right. Plays like the counter, counter wing all are the exception. Players that are right handed tend to excel going ot the right more than the left. There is a natural comfort level there. Since there are more right handed players than left....its pretty easy to understand.

However, Marr is correct, your RT tends to be bigger, stronger and more of a run blocker than your LT. Not to say he cannot pass block but he might not have the agility you ask of your LT. You LT tends to be a great pass blocker with decent run blocking skill. Two different asking. You can't just stick a LT that is too slow on the RT and think he will work out.

Paco Giovanni is offline Waterboy
    Good stuff my friend. I biggest issue with Simpson is the same I had
    when they tried it with Berrien. Force him into a role that I do not think he is suited to fill. That being the difference between a Z and a X receiver.

One of the greatest receivers to ever play the game (Randy Moss) couldn't do it, why would anyone think someone like Simpson could do it.
    Simpson won't be back in 2013. Frazier hates him, or I should say... Frazier hates his lack of commitment and lazy attitude. Remember Frazier didn't let him even suit up for the game against the Redskins because Frazier didn't like how Simpson practiced that week? Frazier is calm, but it clearly his way or the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Giovanni View Post
    Simpson won't be back in 2013. Frazier hates him, or I should say... Frazier hates his lack of commitment and lazy attitude. Remember Frazier didn't let him even suit up for the game against the Redskins because Frazier didn't like how Simpson practiced that week? Frazier is calm, but it clearly his way or the highway.
    What?
    He suited up against the skins.. but got injuried

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234