Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

10 Reasons Why I Like Childress More Each Season

I know there are several people on here who hate Childress, but this guy is growing on me and I'm beginning to think he is becoming one of the top two or three coaches in the league.
    Reasons why:
    1. Truthful. I have never heard him lie. He may not be as open as Tice was but I can honestly say I have never heard an outright lie from him.
    2. Players appreciate him. Remember three years ago when he came in and set down the law. He was not good with the press or with the public in general. He had a couple of players who defied his authority and mentioned it to the press. Well, those players came along and now he is a very respected coach by the team members as a whole. I have heard two free agents that have signed with the Vikes say they did so because they liked the way Childress and the management ran things.
    3. He's quietly effective. Zygi (who I love as an owner) has brought in a good supporting cast to work with Childress. You don't have to look any further than the drafts the last three years and the FA's they have signed. Even the NFLN commented on that in the game last night.
    4. He's not brash. He has what I would call "quiet strength" in the mold of Tony Dungee. When the Vikes were accused of tampering this year he could have spoken his side to the press but he and management remained quiet with no comment. I even thought they were guilty. I should have known better.
    5. Slowly building for the long haul. Some will fault him for not going after some FA super stars, but look at who he's gotten. Younger players that have some good years left in them.
    6. Having faith in a player and not giving up on him. TJ is an excellent example. There are others. While fans screamed and shouted for the likes of Brooks Bollinger, I think last night's game showed you that Childress knew what was best for the team. I don't think that he cared one bit about even giving Farve a smell.
    7. While some have picked the Vikes to win the Super Bowl this year, I will be happy with winning the NFC North and maybe the first playoff game. But look out in 2009. If this keeps up we're Super Bowl favorites for sure in 2009.
    8. Childress is building for the long haul. (Oh, have I said that before?) It bears repeating.
    9. Almost all the trouble-makers on this team are gone. Look at who's been in trouble the last year. They didn't come in under this management.
    10. I think he's a genuine nice guy. And I think the press is warming up to him and so is the national media. He's finally getting the respect he deserves.

Alright you can rip me apart now!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: 10 Reasons Why I Like Childress More Each Season

Thanks Shock.
    I supported him from the get-go and always will be supporting him. He's done a tremendous job with this team. Some will now get some stats etc to prove me wrong, but what i'm seeing are fantastic long-term stats with us being a real contender for the superbowl over and over again.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Skol! I don't think he's even a top 10 coach but I like him

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

I agree with a lot of your post, Childress is definitely growing on me... as much as a man who resembles a retired figure skater can. I am gaining more and more trust in him. SKOL Childress.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

One thing I like about him is he's able to admit he's wrong.
    He's able to go back on a decision and change it, go down a different path.
    When he first started in the league I wasn't sure he'd do that but he has shown me he can, I like that about him.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I know there are several people on here who hate Childress, but this guy is growing on me and I'm beginning to think he is becoming one of the top two or three coaches in the league.
    Reasons why:
    1. Truthful. I have never heard him lie. He may not be as open as Tice was but I can honestly say I have never heard an outright lie from him.
    2. Players appreciate him. Remember three years ago when he came in and set down the law. He was not good with the press or with the public in general. He had a couple of players who defied his authority and mentioned it to the press. Well, those players came along and now he is a very respected coach by the team members as a whole. I have heard two free agents that have signed with the Vikes say they did so because they liked the way Childress and the management ran things.
    3. He's quietly effective. Zygi (who I love as an owner) has brought in a good supporting cast to work with Childress. You don't have to look any further than the drafts the last three years and the FA's they have signed. Even the NFLN commented on that in the game last night.
    4. He's not brash. He has what I would call "quiet strength" in the mold of Tony Dungee. When the Vikes were accused of tampering this year he could have spoken his side to the press but he and management remained quiet with no comment. I even thought they were guilty. I should have known better.
    5. Slowly building for the long haul. Some will fault him for not going after some FA super stars, but look at who he's gotten. Younger players that have some good years left in them.
    6. Having faith in a player and not giving up on him. TJ is an excellent example. There are others. While fans screamed and shouted for the likes of Brooks Bollinger, I think last night's game showed you that Childress knew what was best for the team. I don't think that he cared one bit about even giving Farve a smell.
    7. While some have picked the Vikes to win the Super Bowl this year, I will be happy with winning the NFC North and maybe the first playoff game. But look out in 2009. If this keeps up we're Super Bowl favorites for sure in 2009.
    8. Childress is building for the long haul. (Oh, have I said that before?) It bears repeating.
    9. Almost all the trouble-makers on this team are gone. Look at who's been in trouble the last year. They didn't come in under this management.
    10. I think he's a genuine nice guy. And I think the press is warming up to him and so is the national media. He's finally getting the respect he deserves.

Alright you can rip me apart now!
    Great points, I like childress more all the time too. I do think he gets some credit that belongs to ownership as far as bringing in front office people that know what they are doing. Hopefully all these good things lead to more wins, so far they haven't.
    :'(

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Not bad at all.

I think I would probably have brought out some of the same reasons myself. I like Chilly too, and I think he can bring us somewhere. I just hope he out-coaches someone this season

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I was watching him pregame last night and I remember in the past thinking of what a buffoon he was and how he didn't have a clue every time he opened his mouth. The jury's still out on him, but he seems like a very easy-going likable guy.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Talking about being out-coached....I think that's true. But you got to remember that he's learning the ropes of a new position, too. And I think that's why he was so tough the first year. He was a bit insecure. But I think that confidence is growing in him, too, just as it is in the players.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Excellent post my friend.

Items 5 and 6 irked the living dog snot out of me.
    I am still of the mind that rookies, with few exceptions (you AD Crotchsniffers), should ever see the field thier first year unless they are in a ST's role.

Chapped my hinder to watch those kids the last 2 years but now I see the benifits of the "Readers Digest" approach to grooming players.

I have a new beef with him this year though, and it is centered around the new approach of practicing with "No Pads" and "Limited Hitting".

Call me old school but if you aren't hitting or being hit your tackling (poor angles to the ball, improper position before wrapping up) and ball protection skills (fumbles/drops) won't be honed and ready for the season.

Lets hope he isn't getting to soft.
    HC's just shouldn't be anyones pal if you ask me.

Again, excellent post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast