Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: #1 Receiver?

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    If "number one receiver" means a deep play threat then that draft pick would be a bit of a waste in our offense. OC Musgrave prefers a horizontal passing attack and that's also believed to be Ponder's big strength as he was used that way in college. I don't think it's all a co-incident that Musgrave was signed with Ponder on the team.

I personally don't have a definite definition, but when I say "a true number one receiver" I mean a receiver who is a complete receiver at such an elite level that he sometimes demand double-teams. Not every team has a true #1 receiver. In my opinion, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green are the only ones I can come up with at the top of my head.

One criteria is that a number one receiver is a great big play threat. Even Wes Welker, who is the best receiver in the short passing game of our last generation, I don't consider a true number one receiver. Randy Moss was not a complete receiver, but he was so darn good at making big plays that I would definitely consider him a number one receiver.

It seems that nowadays the term "#1 receiver" is linked to a WR who is big and fast, and while size and speed definitely comes in handy there are other ways to score than toss a jump ball up to a big guy and hope he comes down with it. Through most of their career, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady has not had that guy and they have had one of the most successful passing attacks in the NFL.

Like most here, I would like to see us exploit the back end of the defense much more this season. Many of us remember the passing offense with Randy Moss and wish for that to return to Minnesota. Problem is that a Randy Moss-type of receiver only comes around once in a decade. Calvin Johnson is that "freak" now and he's what keeping the Lions offense alive. We also have that "once in a generation"-freak, but it's at runningback this time. It's so damn hard to find such a caliber of a player, but I would be more than happy to have one or two very solid wideouts. We don't need a Calvin Johnson to be the best and I think this draft has a few receiver that can put us over the top in our division.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    If "number one receiver" means a deep play threat then that draft pick would be a bit of a waste in our offense. OC Musgrave prefers a horizontal passing attack and that's also believed to be Ponder's big strength as he was used that way in college. I don't think it's all a co-incident that Musgrave was signed with Ponder on the team.

I personally don't have a definite definition, but when I say "a true number one receiver" I mean a receiver who is a complete receiver at such an elite level that he sometimes demand double-teams. Not every team has a true #1 receiver. In my opinion, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green are the only ones I can come up with at the top of my head.

One criteria is that a number one receiver is a great big play threat. Even Wes Welker, who is the best receiver in the short passing game of our last generation, I don't consider a true number one receiver. Randy Moss was not a complete receiver, but he was so darn good at making big plays that I would definitely consider him a number one receiver.

It seems that nowadays the term "#1 receiver" is linked to a WR who is big and fast, and while size and speed definitely comes in handy there are other ways to score than toss a jump ball up to a big guy and hope he comes down with it. Through most of their career, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady has not had that guy and they have had one of the most successful passing attacks in the NFL.

Like most here, I would like to see us exploit the back end of the defense much more this season. Many of us remember the passing offense with Randy Moss and wish for that to return to Minnesota. Problem is that a Randy Moss-type of receiver only comes around once in a decade. Calvin Johnson is that "freak" now and he's what keeping the Lions offense alive. We also have that "once in a generation"-freak, but it's at runningback this time. It's so damn hard to find such a caliber of a player, but I would be more than happy to have one or two very solid wideouts. We don't need a Calvin Johnson to be the best and I think this draft has a few receiver that can put us over the top in our division.
    I can live with that. Most I talk to these days link the #1 tag to the outside speed guy. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Talent wise it has to be Patterson but you have a very similar talent in Hunter. I think Hunter is more pro ready and I am not convinced we can develop a WR. So, Hunter I think would be a better draft choice for us. I think if you could have two years with Patterson he would be a great #1, someone like the Pukers or maybe the Patriots would make him a star. The next two would be IMO Woods and Hopkins, not quite the speed but good route runners and great hands WR.

I left out Austin because he is going to be a slot WR in the NFL.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

HEY
    Blog Entries
    It might just be me, but I seem to be the only one around here who thinks that Cordarelle Patterson is not a big deep ball threat as of yet. Sure, I can tell he has the speed, size, and athleticism to be one, but I've not seen enough of him to say that he is a big deep ball threat at the moment. His strongest game is actually in the short passing attack because of his sharp cuts and great running ability. He's also great on reverses and kick returns.

Actually, Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter, is more of the deep ball receiver. He has similar top-end speed and is taller with long arms. The thing is that something is just telling me that Justin Hunter will be a bust. He's just too inconsistent. Then again, Patterson also has the risky label on him because of limited action, but at last we know Patterson can run with the ball (even though he runs a bit too much east-west).

I want Patterson because I'm sure we can use him from day one in special packages on offense and he can be an immediate Pro Bowler returning kicks. With time, he has great potential to be an all-round "true number one" receiver.

It might just be me, but I seem to be the only one around here who thinks that Cordarelle Patterson is not a big deep ball threat as of yet. Sure, I can tell he has the speed, size, and athleticism to be one, but I've not seen enough of him to say that he is a big deep ball threat at the moment. His strongest game is actually in the short passing attack because of his sharp cuts and great running ability. He's also great on reverses and kick returns.

Actually, Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter, is more of the deep ball receiver. He has similar top-end speed and is taller with long arms. The thing is that something is just telling me that Justin Hunter will be a bust. He's just too inconsistent. Then again, Patterson also has the risky label on him because of limited action, but at last we know Patterson can run with the ball (even though he runs a bit too much east-west).

I want Patterson because I'm sure we can use him from day one in special packages on offense and he can be an immediate Pro Bowler returning kicks. With time, he has great potential to be an all-round "true number one" receiver.
    I totally agree, I think most analysts agree also. When they discuss Patterson, they usually talk about his skillset and his measurables more than what he did in college. Hunter they talk abbut his abilites and some of his liablities. Both players are big risk/reward type players to me so you are taking a chance no matter who you choose.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

HEY
    Blog Entries
    The university of Tennessee is by far this years wide receiver factory. Not only do they have three wide receivers coming out, but two of them are mocked in the first round by many experts. Actually, it's four WR's if you count Da'Rick Rogers who transfered.

Tennessee has the highest ranked wide receiver in Patterson, but many experts like Justin Hunter even more. And Da'Rick Rogers is projected to go on day two, perhaps as high as in the second round. Talent wise he's on Hunters/Patterson's level, but his character issues are what's hurting him. The last receiver is another Rogers - Zach Rogers - but he is far from a character concern. He is known as a team player who has had to live in the shadows because of the University's impressive roster.

Zach Rogers has good size at 6'1" and good speed with a a 4.4 in the forty. He seems very underrated, much due to his teammates. Fun fact: Hunter and Patterson are well know for their athleticism, but Patterson (who is well-known for his explosiveness) ran a 7.19 in the three-cone drill. Zach ran a much faster 6.72.

Tenneesse sure is (or was) loaded with athletic and good receivers and one of them are very likely to wear purple and gold this season.

EDIT: Click here if you wanna read more on Tenneesee's Pro Day.
    Last edited by HEY; 04-24-2013 at 02:14 PM.

The university of Tennessee is by far this years wide receiver factory. Not only do they have three wide receivers coming out, but two of them are mocked in the first round by many experts. Actually, it's four WR's if you count Da'Rick Rogers who transfered.

Tennessee has the highest ranked wide receiver in Patterson, but many experts like Justin Hunter even more. And Da'Rick Rogers is projected to go on day two, perhaps as high as in the second round. Talent wise he's on Hunters/Patterson's level, but his character issues are what's hurting him. The last receiver is another Rogers - Zach Rogers - but he is far from a character concern. He is known as a team player who has had to live in the shadows because of the University's impressive roster.

Zach Rogers has good size at 6'1" and good speed with a a 4.4 in the forty. He seems very underrated, much due to his teammates. Fun fact: Hunter and Patterson are well know for their athleticism, but Patterson (who is well-known for his explosiveness) ran a 7.19 in the three-cone drill. Zach ran a much faster 6.72.

Tenneesse sure is (or was) loaded with athletic and good receivers and one of them are very likely to wear purple and gold this season.

EDIT: Click here if you wanna read more on Tenneesee's Pro Day.
    Thanks HEY, good stuff!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I think the definition of a no.1 WR is the guy who is your first option on most passing plays. The reason he is your first option most of the time is because he is both versatile, running all sorts of routes, and more importantly, reliable, finding ways to be open despite the opposition focusing on him and actually catching the ball most of the time despite being covered well or even double covered.

Filling those lofty expectations is hard for a rookie to do. Even guys like Julio Jones tend to struggle a bit at first at memorizing all the play calls and then properly reading the defense within the play. Sure, he had a good 1st year, but most of his success came in the last 5 weeks of the season after missing multiple games twice due to injuries. And its widely agreed that no WRs in this draft have his combo of size, speed, production and upside.

So, as much as I love Patterson's upside and Hunter's similarity to Moss in size and speed, I think we may be better off with a guy like Keenan Allen or Robert Woods, who both sound to be more reliable and more versatile in their route running and weekly preperations...Or, De Hopkins, who does it all well enough, but nothing so well that he stands out amongst the rest, perhaps, a bit under the radar like Roddy White was when we took Troy Williamson.

Last thought, to totally switch back on that, we do have Greg Jennings now, and maybe he is that no.1 guy I described above...which, makes me wonder if maybe we aren't better off adding the more dangerous downfield threat of Patterson or Hunter instead...?

Happy Draft Day Ladies and Gentlemen!! SKOL VIKINGS!!! LET'S GET THIS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I think the definition of a no.1 WR is the guy who is your first option on most passing plays. The reason he is your first option most of the time is because he is both versatile, running all sorts of routes, and more importantly, reliable, finding ways to be open despite the opposition focusing on him and actually catching the ball most of the time despite being covered well or even double covered.

Filling those lofty expectations is hard for a rookie to do. Even guys like Julio Jones tend to struggle a bit at first at memorizing all the play calls and then properly reading the defense within the play. Sure, he had a good 1st year, but most of his success came in the last 5 weeks of the season after missing multiple games twice due to injuries. And its widely agreed that no WRs in this draft have his combo of size, speed, production and upside.

So, as much as I love Patterson's upside and Hunter's similarity to Moss in size and speed, I think we may be better off with a guy like Keenan Allen or Robert Woods, who both sound to be more reliable and more versatile in their route running and weekly preperations...Or, De Hopkins, who does it all well enough, but nothing so well that he stands out amongst the rest, perhaps, a bit under the radar like Roddy White was when we took Troy Williamson.

Last thought, to totally switch back on that, we do have Greg Jennings now, and maybe he is that no.1 guy I described above...which, makes me wonder if maybe we aren't better off adding the more dangerous downfield threat of Patterson or Hunter instead...?

Happy Draft Day Ladies and Gentlemen!! SKOL VIKINGS!!! LET'S GET THIS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!
    I go back and forth as well, do you take potential or do you take production now at the expense of the potential in future years. I think at this point I would take potential because we have a Greg Jennings who can fill our #1 hole. That gives Hunter or Patterson a year or two to develop. I am starting to like Hunter as he's already shown that he can run some of the routes on the route tree and the skillset is very similar to Patterson who tends to body catch sometimes.

If we go with production give me Woods, I just like the guy for some reason over Hopkins and Allen who are both very polished WR coming out of college.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    This is where the Harvin trade busts. Harvin is a known quantity. His skills make him one of the greatest threats in the NFL. A late first round pick may give the Vikings a similar player, but the odds are against it.

Trading a guy who deserved to be a first round pick for a first round pick is a big gamble because many first round picks prove later that they did not have that value.

It is like playing "Let's Make a Deal". The Vikings already had the cash in hand (Harvin), and they chose door number three (draft pick). Will it be a new car (great player) or the donkey (a bust).

Wha wha waaaaaaah.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast