Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 84

Thread: #1 Receiver?

  1. #41
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,780
    Allen has kinda become the wildcard. Details on the knee injury are very hazy, and it certainly seems it should have healed by now. Gotta wonder if it is going to be a long term, lingering problem, or perhaps, just needs to be cleaned up by a better doctor...maybe, he couldn't afford the best first time around? Or just had an odd complication? Anyway, an obvious case of you gotta have your doctors and medical team take a look, do some research and probably another MRI, the results of which, the public is unlikely to ever see or hear much about. IF your team thinks its fixable, then he's an easy first round pick for his route running and toughness, on the other hand, it might be question enough to take him off your board...or down to a mid or later round gamble.

    Justin Hunter on the other hand, is moving on up. His impressive size/speed combo is hard to miss, running a 4.44 40 at 6'4". If you watch some highlights, you may very well be reminded of how a young Moss moved across the field, eating up huge chunks of yards with that extra long stride. But, there's a link somewhere that shows a lack of concentration and failure to take coaching that could be a concern.

    WalterFootball.com: NFL Draft Rumor Mill

    Definitely a whole lot of relatively equal talent, just different fits, depending on what you're looking to add to your team. I like Robert Woods as a 2nd round pick, but he reminds me of a young Jennings: good hands and accurate routes but maybe not the best size and speed. Obviously, we have one of those...not that 2 would be a bad thing...? I also don't think we need another slot guy, so my gut feeling is that we wouldn't grab Austin if he did fall to us...maybe for return ability. So, the question becomes, what do we need? What style WR fits what we have now the best/helps the most?

    K. Allen if medically cleared, is an Anquan Boldin type, big and tough, but not breaking out a lot of long TDs.
    C. Patterson is most likely off the board by our pick, but is the one WR coming out who has the Calvin, Julio body type: big and fast.
    De Hopkins compares to Roddy White, good size/speed, but no over the top numbers and a bit under the radar.
    Hunter might be Moss like at a limited amount of routes which fit what we need, but a bit of a slow learner.

    Any of these guys could/should help immediately, problem is, will any still be there at our pick in the 2nd!? Probably not. I think we might need to get one by about pick 10 of the 2nd.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  2. #42
    Dibbzz is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    296


    The more I watch DeAndre Hopkins the more I like. I definitely think now he, not Keenan Allen, should be our pick at #23. He doesn't have the injury concerns Allen has plus he's in my opinion the most NFL ready receiver in this draft. Runs good routes, good hands and is faster than people think. Also he's not so lanky and skinny like Justin Hunter is so he'll be able to take a few licks from defensive backs/linebackers better than Hunter can. See him compare to Reggie Wayne.

    Ryan Swope from Texas A&M is another guy I'd like to take at about say Round 4. Ran one of the fastest 40's at the draft and could be another Jordy Nelson type player.

    Deandre Hopkins, Greg Jennings, Jarius Wright, Ryan Swope, Kyle Rudolph. Definitely would make our passing attack much more credible.

  3. #43
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbzz View Post
    Ryan Swope from Texas A&M is another guy I'd like to take at about say Round 4. Ran one of the fastest 40's at the draft and could be another Jordy Nelson type player.
    Why, because he's white? Swope is smaller and faster than Nelson... there are 1,000 other WR's he resembles other than Nelson.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  4. #44
    Dibbzz is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    296
    Dude, don't try and put words in my mouth. Yes granted they are both of the Caucasian Persuasion but I was referring to both being explosive play makers that can help our team. I suppose I'm racist now for comparing DeAndre Hopkins to Reggie Wayne because he's black????

    Besides I'm not the first one to make this comparison: WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Ryan Swope

    Skill-Set Summary: If you like Green Bay Packers receiver Jordy Nelson, then you probably will like Swope. They have a similar style and are tough on defensive backs with their quickness. Swope has decent size, but his underrated speed makes him extremely swift in and out of his breaks. His sudden quickness takes defenses by surprise. He is very dangerous after he makes a catch and is capable of taking short passes downfield for big gains. He had a number of long touchdown catches, so he has deep speed to burn secondaries.

  5. #45
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,196
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbzz View Post


    The more I watch DeAndre Hopkins the more I like. I definitely think now he, not Keenan Allen, should be our pick at #23. He doesn't have the injury concerns Allen has plus he's in my opinion the most NFL ready receiver in this draft. Runs good routes, good hands and is faster than people think. Also he's not so lanky and skinny like Justin Hunter is so he'll be able to take a few licks from defensive backs/linebackers better than Hunter can. See him compare to Reggie Wayne.

    Ryan Swope from Texas A&M is another guy I'd like to take at about say Round 4. Ran one of the fastest 40's at the draft and could be another Jordy Nelson type player.

    Deandre Hopkins, Greg Jennings, Jarius Wright, Ryan Swope, Kyle Rudolph. Definitely would make our passing attack much more credible.
    Nice post! I think I agree with everything you said. DeAndre Hopkins has grown on me every week since day 1 this year. He has turned into on of my favorite receivers in this draft, if not my absolute favorite. I compare him to a bit smaller version than Larry Fitzgerald, but he still has good size. I think he might have the best catching abilities than all the receivers in the draft. He is excellent at jump balls and in the end-zone, but also catching in traffic. He also has great route-running and decent speed (remember, Fitzgerald doesn't have elite speed, but he's still considered as arguably the best WR of the past 5 years). Combine those three traits (hands, route-running, size) and he is perhaps the most pro-ready WR.

    I would love to draft Swoope with our early 4th, but I highly doubt he'll be available. Many projected him to go in the 3rd and this was before he even ran the second fastest 40 of all the receivers. I like him because if we miss on Tavon Austin I think he can be used in the Percy Harvin-role as well. He has the running back abilities.

  6. #46
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,196
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Why, because he's white? Swope is smaller and faster than Nelson... there are 1,000 other WR's he resembles other than Nelson.
    I said in an earlier post that I think I agree on everything Dibbizz said, but this is actually one thing I don't agree with. You're right C Mac D. I'm so tired of Ryan Swoope being compared to either Wes Welker or Jordy Nelson. I think I saw one guy even compare him to Broncos' Eric Decker. Ridiculously! It's obvious that the skin-color comes into play.

    Yes, I can definitely see similarities, but like you said: there are many many more players to choose from. With that being said, I have not found a good comparison to Swoope in the NFL yet.

  7. #47
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,196
    Blog Entries
    1

  8. #48
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbzz View Post
    Dude, don't try and put words in my mouth. Yes granted they are both of the Caucasian Persuasion but I was referring to both being explosive play makers that can help our team. I suppose I'm racist now for comparing DeAndre Hopkins to Reggie Wayne because he's black????

    Besides I'm not the first one to make this comparison: WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Ryan Swope

    Skill-Set Summary: If you like Green Bay Packers receiver Jordy Nelson, then you probably will like Swope. They have a similar style and are tough on defensive backs with their quickness. Swope has decent size, but his underrated speed makes him extremely swift in and out of his breaks. His sudden quickness takes defenses by surprise. He is very dangerous after he makes a catch and is capable of taking short passes downfield for big gains. He had a number of long touchdown catches, so he has deep speed to burn secondaries.
    I think Walter Football is just as myopic as you are. That's all.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  9. #49
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,408
    Swope is closer in size and speed to Dante Stallworth than Jordy Nelson or Wes Welker.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  10. #50
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,196
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think Ryan Swope is a combination of Brian Hartline, Eric Decker, Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Austin Collie, Kevin Walter, Brandon Stokley, and Jordan Shipley.

    ... no, but seriously. Out of all those, Ryan Swope actually reminds me of Jordan Shipley alot. Co-incidentally, they even went to the same school. However, I think Swope has a bigger chance to succeed in the NFL. He's, for one, bigger and more durable than Shipley.

    A fact: Swope himself compares him the most to Jordy Nelson which I think is not a great comparison. Nelson is more of an outside receiver who makes big plays. He excels at plucking the ball out of the air in jump balls and sideline catches with excellent size and body control combined with good long-speed. The type of player the Vikings need.

    I know that no one can really be compared to Harvin because he's unique, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I think Swope has the potential to be used in a similar way that we used Percy Harvin. They both have similar size, great quickness, plays like a running back, and are as tough as nails.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •