Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Receiver?

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I'm surprised that no one has yet considered the possibility of moving DOWN with one of those 1st-rounders, into the 2nd. We could still grab a good WR prospect there, plus pick up some extra picks to boot.

I have no idea who potential trade partners might be, but surely someone would consider it.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has yet considered the possibility of moving DOWN with one of those 1st-rounders, into the 2nd. We could still grab a good WR prospect there, plus pick up some extra picks to boot.

I have no idea who potential trade partners might be, but surely someone would consider it.
    That would be an option if the team didn't need so much. Right now we still need at least 1 WR, a starting MLB, a starting CB (unless we resign Winfield, because Cook and Jefferson starting is a joke)

We also need depth at many positions which is something we can do in the later rounds. DT is also high on the priority list IMO. I think the Vikes will keep both 1st rd picks and take a WR and either a LB/CB with the 2 picks. Then in the 2nd rd they will take a DT/LB/CB whichever one they don't select with one of the 1st rd picks. Then I think we take another WR in a later round. Should be interesting, and I hope they get it right.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I really don't think the Vikings HAVE to use a first round pick on a WR now unless someone high on their board drops (possible) or we trade up (probably not).

Most of the WRs in this year's draft are second round grades. We have other needs that can be addressed with a first round pick that might give us better value for the pick position. Yes, we DO need to address WR, but not necessarily in the first round.
    Curb your tongue Knave!

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

#1 Receiver?

Larry Fitzgerald. As long as we're dreaming...
    You all know he needs to play for us sometime.
    Let's not wait until he needs a Rascal. Cardinals are in rebuilding mode. Put the man in PURPLE where he belongs!
    It is written, so let it be done. Amen.
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I worry a little that we might see a run on WR just before we pick at 23. Everyone know that the Vikings need WR and it is almost a guarantee that atleast one of their first round picks will be used at the position. Any other team that wants a top WR will try to move ahead of the Vikings.
    With all the draft picks Spielman has, he does have the ability to trade & move up. Only thing preventing him from doing so is if the teams ahead of us aren't willing to trade.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Keenan Allen clocks 4.71 in 40; Mayock doesn't 'care' - NFL.com

The Cal wide receiver was clocked by NFL Network's Mike Mayock at 4.71 and 4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Allen's pro day Tuesday, confirming that blazing speed is not a quality he offers.
    "Three months ago, I said -- if you watch this kid on tape -- if you like him, he's Anquan Boldin. If you don't like him, he's speed-deficient. So I don't really care what he runs in the 40. On tape, to me, he's a 4.55 guy all day long."
    Won't help his draft status, but probably misleading with his knee still healing. May slip to end of first or into second though?

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    With all the draft picks Spielman has, he does have the ability to trade & move up. Only thing preventing him from doing so is if the teams ahead of us aren't willing to trade.
    Just curious about who you think is worth moving up for ?

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Watched his 2012 highlights. I guess I am not impressed with him. Wouldn't hate the idea of having him, but I think Keenan Allen would be a better fit here. Now if we could get Allen with one of the 1st rd picks, and if Hunter was available in the 2nd rd, that would be cool. I really like the explosiveness of Tavon Austin as well. I think he is a lot like Harvin.
    Keenan Allen just had a pro day and ran a 4.71 & 4.74. I would much rather have Hunter OR Woods. I think many are passing up Woods, he is a very good route runner and a hands type WR.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If Allen or Patterson is available, I think you have to take one of them. The next grouping Austin, Hopkins, Hunter and Woods all get varying grades and rankings. Their pick order will probably come down more to the type of receiver the selecting team is looking at. My guess is that 3 receivers will go in the first round and the next 3 will be in the first half of the second. Woods could drop to later in the second.

Unless we make a move with our picks to get earlier in the second, we could very well miss out on one of the better options and be left to choose between guys like Williams, Swope, Rogers,....

I would like to see us get one of these four, probably in this order: Patterson, Allen, Hopkins and Hunter. Any of those in the first wouldn't disapoint me. Doubt I would spend much to move up to get one though.
    The groupings have changed now. If you want Austin you need to be in the top 16. If you want Patterson you had better be in the top 12. Allen's forty puts him in the second round IMO and Hunter's measurables are moving him up. Don't be suprised to see Hunter go in the back end of the first round now.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Minnesota Vikings Draft: Arif's Vikings-specific Big Board

So, while the Vikings have been striving to grab a deep threat that can stretch the field at the split end spot, it's actually much more important to find receivers that can ensure the ball finds itself in the hands of Vikings instead of the opposition.

For that, the most important qualities won't be deep speed, but the ability to create large passing windows for Ponder, generating separation and maintaining possession. Receivers that operate well in a timing-oriented offense are critical because the Vikings value receptions more than a chance at big-play potential-gaining first-downs is critically important in a ball management offense.

Stretching out the defense horizontally creates more running room for Adrian Peterson, and there's a good reason that it does better for the running game than stretching a defense out downfield: it creates more difficult pursuit and tackling angles for the defense and is generally much harder to adapt to than downfield passing threats (rolling a safety over doesn't help against a receiver who masters timing and route-running, but it does against a speedy receiver).

There's some statistical support behind this approach. Big plays don't correlate nearly as well to wins as simply being successful on a passing down. In fact, at the Colts' SB Nation site—Stampede Blue—they ran a number of statistics and found that general drive success rate (the ability to get first downs) was the single best determinant of winning teams.

That doesn't mean that the Vikings don't need players who will be open deep, but that deep passing will be part of the playbook dealing with "constraint" plays and not part of the base offense. Chris Brown of Smart Football describes the constraint theory of offense, which Bill Walsh was a big advocate of:
    Argument for horizontal vs. vertical stretching. Another key point is selecting a WR that is ready to contribute instantly for Ponder's sake.

Finally, evaluating Christian Ponder is a top priority. If the receiver is not ready to contribute right away, then there's not much they can do to help the front office evaluate Christian Ponder. It will be difficult to find a receiver who can do that. In the past ten years, the top 64 picks have produced 14 receivers who have had over 800 yards from scrimmage in their rookie year (out of 79 who played in games). Of those, only four chosen between pick 23 and 52 produced 800 yards (out of 36 who played games). This doesn't include those who haven't made an impact in games, like A.J. Jenkins.
    More accomplished route runners with a wide catch radius may get more consideration (Allen, Hopkins, Woods,..) if that is on the FO's mind.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast