Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Receiver?

drakkar is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I am starting to like Hunter more and more. He does have some problems though with route running so I would like to see him if we can get him in the second, maybe we can move up and get him because he won't be there at the end of the second round. I still like Woods also, he is a fluid WR and has great hands, I think he will be great for us if we take him in the second round.
    I would LOVE to see Woods in Purple!!!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Woods is another guy who gets a lot of gimmick work from the slot.. I think Jarius Wright is destined for that spot.. After cutting Jenkins we need a possesion type reciever and thats even if we do sign Jennings.. Jennings is only like 5'10 or 11..

None of these first round caliber recievers really jump out to me as a must have guy..

Id liked for us to use our draftpicks to get Alex Ogletree to play ILB.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Jennings isn't a number one guy either. He is more of a possession/ slot guy. We need a taller deep WR not named Simpson.
    He can be. He has been multiple games with Green Bay. He can carry a game and he has.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    Woods is another guy who gets a lot of gimmick work from the slot.. I think Jarius Wright is destined for that spot.. After cutting Jenkins we need a possesion type reciever and thats even if we do sign Jennings.. Jennings is only like 5'10 or 11..

None of these first round caliber recievers really jump out to me as a must have guy..

Id liked for us to use our draftpicks to get Alex Ogletree to play ILB.
    I agree, there are character issues with him, but we've hit gold before with this type of guy. I mean he's gonna hang out with Greenway right, that guy will keep him straight!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I hate than people think a #1 means a WR is tall.
    A #1 WR simply means that the WR can run all the routes in a route tree.
    A more accurate representation would be the X WR. This SE is typically your faster WR who can do work by himself. The Z tends to be tied to a TE to help draw coverage away from him and run multiple route combos with. The X is the loner and has to create his own space thru route running and speed. Jennings fits this role...or perharps we missed his 8 catches, 2 td, 120 yards performance week 17.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I hate than people think a #1 means a WR is tall.
    A #1 WR simply means that the WR can run all the routes in a route tree.
    A more accurate representation would be the X WR. This SE is typically your faster WR who can do work by himself. The Z tends to be tied to a TE to help draw coverage away from him and run multiple route combos with. The X is the loner and has to create his own space thru route running and speed. Jennings fits this role...or perharps we missed his 8 catches, 2 td, 120 yards performance week 17.
    That's better than Wright & Simpson's combined total of 6 catches, 1 TD, 129 yards for that game.

In fact Jennings had as many TD's in that 1 game as our 2 top WR's right now had combined in 19 games last year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I worry a little that we might see a run on WR just before we pick at 23. Everyone know that the Vikings need WR and it is almost a guarantee that atleast one of their first round picks will be used at the position. Any other team that wants a top WR will try to move ahead of the Vikings.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I worry a little that we might see a run on WR just before we pick at 23. Everyone know that the Vikings need WR and it is almost a guarantee that atleast one of their first round picks will be used at the position. Any other team that wants a top WR will try to move ahead of the Vikings.
    I really don't think the Vikings HAVE to use a first round pick on a WR now unless someone high on their board drops (possible) or we trade up (probably not).

Most of the WRs in this year's draft are second round grades. We have other needs that can be addressed with a first round pick that might give us better value for the pick position. Yes, we DO need to address WR, but not necessarily in the first round.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I really don't think the Vikings HAVE to use a first round pick on a WR now unless someone high on their board drops (possible) or we trade up (probably not).

Most of the WRs in this year's draft are second round grades. We have other needs that can be addressed with a first round pick that might give us better value for the pick position. Yes, we DO need to address WR, but not necessarily in the first round.
    Agreed. Jennings gives the Vikings the option of drafting BPA instead of desperately seeking a WR.
    Moving up in the first round to snag a WR as some have suggested, would seem foolish at this point.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Agreed. Jennings gives the Vikings the option of drafting BPA instead of desperately seeking a WR.
    Moving up in the first round to snag a WR as some have suggested, would seem foolish at this point.

If Allen or Patterson is available, I think you have to take one of them. The next grouping Austin, Hopkins, Hunter and Woods all get varying grades and rankings. Their pick order will probably come down more to the type of receiver the selecting team is looking at. My guess is that 3 receivers will go in the first round and the next 3 will be in the first half of the second. Woods could drop to later in the second.

Unless we make a move with our picks to get earlier in the second, we could very well miss out on one of the better options and be left to choose between guys like Williams, Swope, Rogers,....

I would like to see us get one of these four, probably in this order: Patterson, Allen, Hopkins and Hunter. Any of those in the first wouldn't disapoint me. Doubt I would spend much to move up to get one though.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast