Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Receiver?

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

#1 Receiver?

A lot of us are scrambling to find out who we will sign or draft to play receiver next year. Especially in wake of the Percy trade.

As of this very second, our roster includes:

1. Jerome Simpson
    2. Jarius Wright

The draft 1st / 2nd round projected receivers include:

1. Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee
    2. Keenan Allen California
    3. DeAndre Hopkins Clemson
    4. Justin Hunter Tennessee
    5. Tavon Austin West Virginia
    6. Robert Woods USC
    7. Terrance Williams Baylor
    8. Da'Rick Rogers Tennessee Tech

That leaves 10 possible players, assuming we don't sign/trade Victor Cruz or Greg Jennings. We are also pursuing guys like Danny Amendola, but he wouldn't be a #1 even if we did get him (HOPEFULLY!).

I attended the combine in Indy this year. I was there for the entire day of QB/RB/WR. I went specifically on this day so I could scout potential Vikes receivers. Lots of raw talent, but Patterson was the only one that flashed #1 ability. Keenan Allen didn't even participate. Tavon Austin is an absolute STUD, but he would be a slot guy. No point in having both Austin and Wright. Virtually the same role. Woods, Hopkins and Hunter are all great raw talent , but I have a hard time believing that ANY of these guys is capable of being a #1 in 2013.

My prediction is some sort of combination of Keenan Allen and Danny Amendola.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    All I know is we need somebody to throw the ball to. I'm glad we resigned Simpson because we have two guys that will be familiar with our system and obviously we'll still have Rudy. Use those first rounders on a WR and a DT.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    A lot of us are scrambling to find out who we will sign or draft to play receiver next year. Especially in wake of the Percy trade.

As of this very second, our roster includes:

1. Jerome Simpson
    2. Jarius Wright

The draft 1st / 2nd round projected receivers include:

1. Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee
    2. Keenan Allen California
    3. DeAndre Hopkins Clemson
    4. Justin Hunter Tennessee
    5. Tavon Austin West Virginia
    6. Robert Woods USC
    7. Terrance Williams Baylor
    8. Da'Rick Rogers Tennessee Tech

That leaves 10 possible players, assuming we don't sign/trade Victor Cruz or Greg Jennings. We are also pursuing guys like Danny Amendola, but he wouldn't be a #1 even if we did get him (HOPEFULLY!).

I attended the combine in Indy this year. I was there for the entire day of QB/RB/WR. I went specifically on this day so I could scout potential Vikes receivers. Lots of raw talent, but Patterson was the only one that flashed #1 ability. Keenan Allen didn't even participate. Tavon Austin is an absolute STUD, but he would be a slot guy. No point in having both Austin and Wright. Virtually the same role. Woods, Hopkins and Hunter are all great raw talent , but I have a hard time believing that ANY of these guys is capable of being a #1 in 2013.

My prediction is some sort of combination of Keenan Allen and Danny Amendola.
    If we draft a WR in the first two rounds I think that Hunter and Woods could be a #1 Wr in the NFL, maybe not this year but both have the talent to be a #1. IMO, Wright is a very good slot but I would also draft Austin now that Harvin is gone. Austin ahs that explosiveness that Harvin did, he is just much smaller.

After round two I think you could get a very good WR in Swopes, he has concussion issues but in the third or fourth roundyou can take a little chance on him.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

#1 Receiver?

Jennings isn't a number one guy either. He is more of a possession/ slot guy. We need a taller deep WR not named Simpson.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I am not sure when Tavon Austin is slated to be picked, but I would love to have him on this team. This team can definitely find room for Wright and Austin, especially if they don't sign or trade for a NFL WR.

If his first year with us was any indication, Simpson won't be a starter for long, if at all. He has 1 thing going for him and that is speed. Ok, 2 things, speed and height. Does it matter though when you can't catch a pass, or when the QB can't accurately get you the ball? Wright and Austin would be burner guys who are elusive, and the biggest threat I can see on this team with a mediocre QB is the screen pass and let these guys make something happen.

I believe the Vikings will target Keenan Allen in the 1st rd just based off of what I have seen of him, his blend of size and quickness. Then again, I won't even try to understand what they will do. They just released a staple of the this defense (which is understandable) and traded the biggest playmaker in the passing and return game (again, understandable) but so far have done nothing to even come close to replacing that production.

This is the part that I don't understand, this team was a 10 win team last year, was 2nd in the division behind GB by 1 game, and was a playoff team. Albeit, on the shoulders of 1 man, but that is beside the point. Anyways, I can see if they were a 3 win team last year, getting rid of a huge playmaker for several draft picks, and a aging and expensive DB, and wanting to rebuild through the draft. The problem is, they are not replacing them with proven talent, and are praying that they will get players in the draft that can get anywhere close to their production.

They are taking a 10 win team and subtracting talent from it, so what does that do to a team? It makes them go backwards. Winfield may be aging, but he was by far our best CB last season despite being roughly 10 years older then any other CB on the team. You can't teach experience, you can't teach a guy how to tackle, you can't teach a guy to play with passion, that is what Winfield has, and will be sorely missed on this team, missed because they haven't done a single thing to replace his production. They will likely instead go with Mr. Pass Interference AJ Jefferson who looks up to see where the ball is when its already in the receivers hands in the endzone, and Chris Cook who is decent, but nothing spectacular at all. From where I am sitting, this is not looking good.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    This is the part that I don't understand, this team was a 10 win team last year, was 2nd in the division behind GB by 1 game, and was a playoff team. Albeit, on the shoulders of 1 man, but that is beside the point. Anyways, I can see if they were a 3 win team last year, getting rid of a huge playmaker for several draft picks, and a aging and expensive DB, and wanting to rebuild through the draft. The problem is, they are not replacing them with proven talent, and are praying that they will get players in the draft that can get anywhere close to their production.

They are taking a 10 win team and subtracting talent from it, so what does that do to a team? It makes them go backwards. Winfield may be aging, but he was by far our best CB last season despite being roughly 10 years older then any other CB on the team. You can't teach experience, you can't teach a guy how to tackle, you can't teach a guy to play with passion, that is what Winfield has, and will be sorely missed on this team, missed because they haven't done a single thing to replace his production. They will likely instead go with Mr. Pass Interference AJ Jefferson who looks up to see where the ball is when its already in the receivers hands in the endzone, and Chris Cook who is decent, but nothing spectacular at all. From where I am sitting, this is not looking good.
    Hang in there, it's still really early in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of personnel changes coming. Both subtraction and addition.

Charlie Johnson and Letroy Guion are two guys that I have to believe are seriously being considered for cutting. Johnson's cap hit this year is $4.3M (he will count $1.8M towards the cap if he is cut, freeing up $2.5M), that's right next to Load's new contract. Guion is a $3M hit on the cap, with $1M of it dead money. Cutting him frees up another $2M. Neither of these guys have played to that level.

I would keep Evans and look for a DT in the draft. Evans only counts $1.75M to the cap and IMO outplayed Guion last year.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Hang in there, it's still really early in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of personnel changes coming. Both subtraction and addition.

Charlie Johnson and Letroy Guion are two guys that I have to believe are seriously being considered for cutting. Johnson's cap hit this year is $4.3M (he will count $1.8M towards the cap if he is cut, freeing up $2.5M), that's right next to Load's new contract. Guion is a $3M hit on the cap, with $1M of it dead money. Cutting him frees up another $2M. Neither of these guys have played to that level.

I would keep Evans and look for a DT in the draft. Evans only counts $1.75M to the cap and IMO outplayed Guion last year.
    That's the problem though, you will take away the starting LG that started all 17 games last year for a 2000 yard rusher. You take him away, that could screw the whole chemistry up on the OL. The same reason why they made in a priority to bring Loadholt back.

If you release Guion, you take away much needed depth on the DL. A DL that needs all the help they can get with Williams and Allen dropping in production. You can't always fix problems in the draft, that is what is pissing me off. I can't stand to support a team that just does shit because they have to do it. We fans who spend our hard earned money to go to games, and buy merchandise, and pay for stadiums deserve to have the team they are supporting go to levels that are needed to build a Championship Team. I demand it, because I am not some fair weather fan that doesn't care if they win or lose, or say there is always next year. Screw that, I want them to have a good team every year, and I am sick of waiting for that day to come where its the Vikings holding up that Lombardi Trophy.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    That's the problem though, you will take away the starting LG that started all 17 games last year for a 2000 yard rusher. You take him away, that could screw the whole chemistry up on the OL. The same reason why they made in a priority to bring Loadholt back.

If you release Guion, you take away much needed depth on the DL. A DL that needs all the help they can get with Williams and Allen dropping in production. You can't always fix problems in the draft, that is what is pissing me off. I can't stand to support a team that just does shit because they have to do it. We fans who spend our hard earned money to go to games, and buy merchandise, and pay for stadiums deserve to have the team they are supporting go to levels that are needed to build a Championship Team. I demand it, because I am not some fair weather fan that doesn't care if they win or lose, or say there is always next year. Screw that, I want them to have a good team every year, and I am sick of waiting for that day to come where its the Vikings holding up that Lombardi Trophy.
    The point is to try and upgrade and stay under the cap. If player's are not playing to their contract levels, then you need to restructure them or cut them.

If CJ's chemistry is so good, then why did he play at such a low level last year.

For both players, I'm not suggesting you downgrade the position. I think it is fairly reasonable to expect an upgrade at both positions for equal or lesser money. This is what the GM is paid to do.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    I don't think we absolutely need a true #1 to be successful. We do need two possession recievers that can run all the routes, get open and outfight DBs for the ball 1 on 1.

Personally I like Hopkins' skill set for us more than Allen's. He strikes me as a Bowe/Rice type guy with less size but just as much fight for the ball at all three levels.

I'm pretty confident that the only reason the Pack is in a bidding war with us over Jennings is to drive the price up. Call me crazy but I'd be fine if he went back to GB for $10M per. It means they'd have to detract from their team somewhere else to reinforce a strength. I still think we end up with him at around that price.

Not sure how much cap space we have left now, but with Winfield gone we need a corner bad and I'd love to bring in Sean Smith. If his salary is roughly around what Winfield's was last year we would be better off as a pass defense IMO. Anyone have a link to updated cap space numbers as the signings happen?

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Hunter in the first, trade back your 2nd 1st into the early 2nd. Select a DT and then select Woods with our other 2nd. Use the two 3rd rounders to address team needs. Take a change on some character guys with your 5th and 6th picks.

So easy a caveman can do it.

A WR corps of Woods, Hunter, Simpon, Wright, Childs would make me shut up for 3 years.

A New DT to develop and replace KW would make me happy.
    Expect us to spend a 5th on a new punter.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast