Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    lmao

Blog Entries
    Hey, maybe there is still a chance........

I found it interesting when the PFT power rankings came out this week just how many really bad records and how many really good records there are and not as much in the middle. Obviously this will even out as the season progresses but it seems to be a pretty wide spread and probably due to the lockout.

1. Packers (No. 1; 4-0): Get past the Falcons in Week Five, and the Packers could take a 10-0 record into that Thanksgiving showdown with the Lions.2. Saints (No. 2; 3-1): In Jimmy Graham, the Saints have the steal of the 2010 draft. In Darren Sproles, they have the steal of the 2011 free-agency class.
    3. Lions (No. 3; 4-0): Get past the Falcons in Week Five Seven, and the Packers Lions could take a 10-0 record into a Thanksgiving showdown with the Lions Packers.
    4. Ravens (No. 4; 3-1): When a team can overcome a bad performance by its quarterback and still win by 17 against a defending conference finalist, something special is happening.
    5. Patriots (No. 6; 3-1): The current Dolphinsí quarterback would look a lot more like Tom Brady if Miami had never let Wes Welker get away.
    6. Texans (No. 14; 3-1): Are Texans good enough to win games without Andre Johnson? They apparently will get a chance to find out, if only for a few weeks.
    7. Chargers (No. 7; 3-1): The combined record of the teams the Chargers have beaten is 1-11. And that justifies putting the Chargers closer to 11 than one.
    8. Buccaneers (No. 9; 3-1): Yes, it was Monday Night Football. Yes, they came back from 10 points behind. But, yes, it was the Colts.
    9. Giants (No. 12; 3-1): Even though the call was right, weíve got a feeling that Victor Cruz wonít ever leave a ball on the ground again. Anywhere.
    10. Bills (No. 5; 3-1): Well, at least they wonít start 4-0 and then fall apart like they did in 2008.
    11. Steelers (No. 8; 2-2): Though itís easy to be skeptical about Ben Roethlisbergerís injury, keep in mind that the boy who cried wolf eventually was eaten by a wolf.
    12. 49ers (No. 17; 3-1): Weíd hate to see how many yards Frank Gore would have had against the Eagles if he didnít have a bad ankle.
    13. Bears (No. 15; 2-2): If Matt Forte runs for 205 yards with his contract supposedly serving as a distraction, the Bears should keep him that distracted every week.
    14. Titans (No. 20; 3-1): Maybe the Seahawks should have keptMatthew Hasselbeck. And maybe someone other than the Titans should have been in line to get him.
    15. Raiders (No. 10; 2-2): Based on his boast that the Raiders will win the division, coach Hue Jackson caught a case of RexRyanitis from his postgame handshake with the Jets head coach.
    16. Falcons (No. 16; 2-2): If the Falcons lose another one to Green Bay at home, the naming rights to the Georgia Dome should be sold to the Packers.
    17. Redskins (No. 18; 3-1): Donít complain, Redskins fans, about going up only one spot. Beating the Rams by only seven could be regarded as a reason to fall five.
    18. Jets (No. 11; 2-2): Nick Mangold is proving to be worth his considerable weight in silver.
    19. Cowboys (No. 13; 2-2): Blowing a 24-point lead to Detroit may have been even worse than losing 44-0 to the Bears in 1985.
    20. Panthers (No. 19; 1-3): Carolina fans know that, despite the current record, the wins are coming.
    21. Bengals (No. 25; 2-2): Itís hard to imagine that this team would have been much better with Carson Palmer.
    22. Eagles (No. 21; 1-3): The 13-year offensive line coach was shifted unexpectedly to defensive coordinator, but the team canít figure out what its defense and offensive line now suck.
    23. Cardinals (No. 22; 1-3): Well, at least Kevin Kolbís team is currently doing better than the team of the guy he replaced in Philly.
    24. Browns (No. 26; 2-2): How bad are the bad teams in the NFL this year? The Browns lost badly at home, but they still moved up two spots.
    25. Jaguars (No. 23; 1-3): Itís almost time to cue Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles.
    26. Broncos (No. 24; 1-3): Maybe John Fox would prefer Jamie Foxx as Willie Beamen to Tim Tebow.
    27. Seahawks (No. 27; 1-3): Another 7-9 finish wonít be good enough to win the division this year.
    28. Chiefs (No. 32; 1-3): And there goes the best chance to keep Andrew Luck in red and white.
    29. Vikings (No. 28; 0-4): The good news for Minnesotans who donít want the Vikings to leave? Itís currently hard to think Los Angeles would want them.
    30. Colts (No. 29; 0-4): If the front office had the same faith inCurtis Painter that Reggie Wayne has displayed, the team may be better than 0-4.
    31. Rams (No. 30; 0-4): Well, at least we now have a better understanding of why the Broncos fired Josh McDaniels.
    32. Dolphins (No. 31; 0-4): Stephen Ross thinks Tony Sparano is ďthe right coach.Ē Sometimes thereís no need for a punch line.
    10 teams are 1-3 or 0-4 and 13 are either 3-1 or 4-0. Maybe that is average but it seems unusual.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Wow.

Lmao.

I am the eternal optimist, and I have been telling people all month long that it doesn't matter how bad we are, we aren't going to have the #1 draft pick. It just isn't happening.

And then I looked ahead at the schedule.

Week 5: vs Arizona Cardinals - Possible win, they look about as bad as us. But I think AZ wins
    Week 6: at Chicago Bears - Loss
    Week 7: vs Green Bay Packers - Loss
    Week 8: at Carolina Panthers - Possible win
    Week 9: BYE (we still might find a way to lose though)
    Week 10: at Green Bay Packers - Humiliating Loss
    Week 11: vs Oakland Raiders - Loss
    Week 12: at Atlanta Falcons - Loss
    Week 13: vs Denver Broncos - Possible win
    Week 14: at Detroit Lions - Most Likely Loss
    Week 15: vs New Orleans Saints - Loss
    Week 16: at Washington Redskins - Loss
    Week 17: vs Chicago Bears - Loss (Bears will probably be fighting for a wild card)

So.... I only see three possible wins... and we probably wont win all three. My guess - we finish 2-14 or 3-13.

Wow.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    JJ09 mentioned the Broncos above, honestly, I would not be at all surprised if our first victory doesn't come until then.

Prior to this loss to KC I was still a little optimistic. We played solid teams close and dominated them for a half... then we lost to a pretty bad squad.
    Exactly! Going into this game I was still hoping for 4-6 wins. We had lost 3 close games after dominating for a half against what look like playoff teams. The Chiefs on the other hand, were widely considered the worst team in the league...not only did we lose, but we lost in both halfs!! That pretty much ties us with MIA, IND, and STL for worst. Doh! Or first in the Suck For Luck Race!?

And, I don't see it getting fixed. No offseason seems to have dummed down the new offense and its new operator(s) to the point where opposing defense's know our 4 or 5 plays as well as our Offense does. I mean other than AP up da middle, TE left, TE right and Harvin's end-arounds, what are we showing?

We're 23rd in total yards and 24th in points and thats only because AP carries us further than you can expect given our OL play...or it could be worse! We are 3rd in penalties and I'm guessing 70%+ are on offense...and most of those false starts!? Our passing O is 31st and tied at 11th with 10 sacks allowed.

Berrian says he's open, and maybe he is, but not before McNabb is getting harassing and/or planted. Kinda one of those, Chicken or the Egg questions: Do we not have WRs who can get open? Or do they just not have enough time to get downfield before the pocket crumbles? Cuz the way I'm seeing it, we have NO deep game. Zero, nada. So, we're back to the ole zone blitz, clog the short passing lanes cuz short and AP are all we have!?!??

I think we could use an upgrade on Berrian as our No.1 deep threat, but that the OL needs so much help I don't even know where to start!! IF we did end up with the first pick, I'd almost be into trading Luck for a Eli for Rivers +3 early picks type of deal so we could address multiple postions with top talent over a 2 year period...yep, its rebuilding time. Hope its not in LA!!!!

;'(
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Blog Entries
    I was talking to my wife about this last night as she was gloating about the Packers 4-0 record and it occurred to me that having a 2-14 season just might be the best thing that could happen to the team.

The reason is as she pointed out, that the team always seems content to rely on bringing in players to try to get to the playoffs and they really never seem to commit to building the roster for the long haul only to be disappointed when the latest guys don't pan out.

I am wondering if maybe hitting rock bottom won't get the front office to the point where they will never gain look at trying to do things the way we have always done which ends up with a steady stream of 5-11 to 11-5 teams where we are never really terrible but never champions either. If this failed season finally lights a fire under the FO and they take steps to try to prevent this from happening again it will be worth it.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I can understand, intellectually, why losing would help us in the long run, but I still just can't bring myself to WANT that. Every time I try to think about it, my stomach rebels. Sadly enough, it looks like Drat is the only one on here who agrees with me.

Optimism may be foolish, but it's part of my nature. Even after all of these years and all of the disappointments, I still keep hoping for the best. I still keep rooting for every single win, no matter our record at the time.

One other thing... despite their record this year, I don't get why people keep saying the Chiefs are the worst team in the league. Yes, they started out slow, but they did almost come back on the Chargers in San Diego. They've been crippled by season-ending injuries to star players (Moeaki, Charles, Berry) and the loss of a top notch OC. But remember, this team was four games better than us last year and they won their division. They are young and energetic and are on the rise, despite those setbacks. Hardly the worst team out there.

As disappointing as the VIkings have been so far, they were not expected to be contenders this year. Look at the Eagles and Rams for example, and then tell me again how bad we really are compared to what we were supposed to be.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    I can understand, intellectually, why losing would help us in the long run, but I still just can't bring myself to WANT that. Every time I try to think about it, my stomach rebels. Sadly enough, it looks like Drat is the only one on here who agrees with me.

Optimism may be foolish, but it's part of my nature. Even after all of these years and all of the disappointments, I still keep hoping for the best. I still keep rooting for every single win, no matter our record at the time.

One other thing... despite their record this year, I don't get why people keep saying the Chiefs are the worst team in the league. Yes, they started out slow, but they did almost come back on the Chargers in San Diego. They've been crippled by season-ending injuries to star players (Moeaki, Charles, Berry) and the loss of a top notch OC. But remember, this team was four games better than us last year and they won their division. They are young and energetic and are on the rise, despite those setbacks. Hardly the worst team out there.

As disappointing as the VIkings have been so far, they were not expected to be contenders this year. Look at the Eagles and Rams for example, and then tell me again how bad we really are compared to what we were supposed to be.
    Being satisfied with underachieving is rarely a recipe for success. As long as the owners feel they can just put anything out there and we will still be satisfied as long as we aren't as bad as some other team then the only pressure they have is what they place on themselves and the pressure they place on themselves too often is to make the most money and not win the most games.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Being satisfied with underachieving is rarely a recipe for success. As long as the owners feel they can just put anything out there and we will still be satisfied as long as we aren't as bad as some other team then the only pressure they have is what they place on themselves and the pressure they place on themselves too often is to make the most money and not win the most games.
    Yup, it all starts at the top. Sure the owners want to win, everyone does, it's the commitment to the task that is at question.

If Zygi and co. are being real honest with themselves and if they held winning a SB as the only acceptable goal, then I agree that they really need to look at bringing in a GM and taking a step back from the operations. Of course, then the issue becomes are they qualified enough to hire the right GM.

It seems so obvious that it makes one wonder as to the true priorities of the owners. Is it ego/fame #1, is it revenue #1, or is it to create the best team in the NFL as priority #1. Or is it just simply ignorance.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I never said I was satisfied with this performance. I guess "resigned" would be more appropriate. I have to go back again to the statement that expectations and hopes are two different things. Hopes are irrational and emotional, but sometimes they are all that gets you up and moving in the morning.

The thing is, there's only so much you can do in mid-season to correct the kind of fundamental flaws we are seeing. Also, in the past, the VIkings have had a very strong tendency to overreact to poor performances by making sweeping changes that aren't necessary. Change is needed, certainly, but take it slower and only do a few things at a time. That also makes it easier to evaluate the remaining factors.

I say we need to use this season to pick this team apart bit by bit, from the ground up.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I never said I was satisfied with this performance. I guess "resigned" would be more appropriate. I have to go back again to the statement that expectations and hopes are two different things. Hopes are irrational and emotional, but sometimes they are all that gets you up and moving in the morning.

The thing is, there's only so much you can do in mid-season to correct the kind of fundamental flaws we are seeing. Also, in the past, the VIkings have had a very strong tendency to overreact to poor performances by making sweeping changes that aren't necessary. Change is needed, certainly, but take it slower and only do a few things at a time. That also makes it easier to evaluate the remaining factors.

I say we need to use this season to pick this team apart bit by bit, from the ground up.
    I think you need to go from the sky down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12