Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Zeus's FF draft - take your shots!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    Isn't it kind of soon to take AP in the 3rd round as you're first back. It must have been slim pickings at that point I guess.
    Yes.
    Chester was available, but I believe AP to have the potential for bigger fantasy impact.

First 9 picks were all RBs, after I picked Manning, 3 of the 4 picks until my wrap-around at 15 were RBs, as well.
    You might be able to pull it off. But I'm always scared of those duo backs in fantasy perspective
    So am I, so am I.

Here you go - here's the first 3 rounds, leading up to me picking AP at #10 in round 3.

Round 1
    1. LaDainian Tomlinson Team Ssnif
    2. Steven Jackson cutthroats
    3. Larry Johnson Alien Invasion
    4. Shaun Alexander kewlarrows
    5. Frank Gore dBeavs Bruisers
    6. Joseph Addai homertime
    7. Brian Westbrook Rough House
    8. Travis Henry Jordi-Colts
    9. Rudi Johnson BoomerSooners
    10. Peyton Manning The Gods of ...
    11. Reggie Bush Bye Week
    12. Laurence Maroney Uncomfortabl...

Round 2
    1. Willie Parker Uncomfortabl...
    2. Chad Johnson Bye Week
    3. Marvin Harrison The Gods of ...
    4. Ronnie Brown BoomerSooners
    5. Willis McGahee Jordi-Colts
    6. Maurice Jones-Drew Rough House
    7. Edgerrin James homertime
    8. Brandon Jacobs dBeavs Bruisers
    9. Terrell Owens kewlarrows
    10. Clinton Portis Alien Invasion
    11. Cedric Benson cutthroats
    12. Thomas Jones Team Ssnif

Round 3
    1. Drew Brees Team Ssnif
    2. Jamal Lewis cutthroats
    3. Steve Smith Alien Invasion
    4. Marshawn Lynch kewlarrows
    5. Roy Williams dBeavs Bruisers
    6. Larry Fitzgerald homertime
    7. Carson Palmer Rough House
    8. Tom Brady Jordi-Colts
    9. Torry Holt BoomerSooners
    10. Adrian Peterson The Gods of ...
    11. Antonio Gates Bye Week
    12. T.J. Houshmandzadeh Uncomfortabl...

The next RB picked after I grabbed Barber in the 4th was Cadillac Williams with the 4th pick in the 5th round.
    Yes, I know, I let some PurplePride influence my pick there, but I'm honestly fairly satisfied with my RBs.
    I have some matchup things to play with in lineups.

=Z=
    If I was in your spot, the only thing I would have done differently is I would have taken Willie Parker (possibly Reggie Bush) instead of Marvin Harrison.
    I had Reggie Wayne last year, and, I think he will score more than Harrison this year.
    I like your MBIII pick, which, arguably protects your Harrison pick.
    I totally agree with your assessment of Adrian Peterson, I have laser lock on him (our draft is the 4th), in fact, I think it is going to be tough, very tough, to keep him off the field IMO.
    Like your Winslow pick, too.
    Every team has got two or three guys that need to step up...yours are your top 2 RBs, which, are both in RBBC situations where they will have solid numbers.
    Unless in the days of Moss and Rice, I will never again take a WR before I get a #1 running back, just one of my rules to myself.

Our League gives bonuses for lenth of touchdown, which, puts an emphasis on somebody like FWP or Reggie Bush (and Adrian Peterson
    ;D) over MBIII.
    I had MBIII last year, he is a Red Zone monster.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"Zeus" wrote:
    Okay - had the draft for the Yahoo league I run.
    12 teams (for the first time - a few years back we had TWENTY (!!) teams), start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K, no position requirements on bench players.

I know it's tough to evaluate a draft w/out knowing what players were on the board.
    Some dude took the Vikes D in the 8th, or I woulda grabbed them then.

The Gods of Football
    Round Pick Player Position
    1. (10) Peyton Manning QB
    2. (15) Marvin Harrison WR
    3. (34) Adrian Peterson RB
    4. (39) Marion Barber III RB
    5. (58) Plaxico Burress WR
    6. (63) DeAngelo Williams RB
    7. (82) Kellen Winslow TE
    8. (87) Santana Moss WR
    9. (106) DeShaun Foster RB
    10. (111) Anthony Gonzalez WR
    11. (130) J.P. Losman QB
    12. (135) Stephen Gostkowski K
    13. (154) Buffalo DEF
    14. (159) Dominic Rhodes RB

With only 12 teams, lots of options to add/drop and stuff, so I can play the "best available DEF matchup" game all season.

I'm reasonably satisfied, but I'm kinda dependent on AD and Barber putting up some bigger numbers than most expect.

=Z=
    You're RB's are very suspect. But don't be fooled because those 2 guys ( Peterson & Barber) will get a lot of goal line carries(which can obviously rack up a lot of points), and I assume that's why you chose them.

Other then that, I think your team looks pretty good. And don't sleep on Kellen Winslow Jr., he'll put up great numbers this season IF, the Browns can get him the ball.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Looks pretty good to me!
    That Manning/Harrison combo will make or break you.
    If Indy's new LT works out ok, and RB depth doesn't become a problem for them, Indy's top two guys may account for half of your overall FF points! (And I mean that in a good way!
    As in as much as the rest of an average team put together!!)

I actually have MBarberIII going in the 2nd on my lists...14 rush TDs & 2 rec is pretty nice for a rookie...I expect him to get a bit more work this year!!
    I think
    that AP will get more and more chances as the year rolls on too...the question is how soon?
    If you've got a star RB waiting to happen, don't you have to play him?
    No disrespect to CT, he's good, but some of us are hoping the word "Great," will be used to describe Peterson someday...hopefully someday soon ;D

As for BUF D, they lost Takeo Spikes, Nate Clements, and now have issues with injuries and suspensions all along their Defensive line...might want to check the FAs sooner.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

Other then that, I think your team looks pretty good. And don't sleep on Kellen Winslow Jr., he'll put up great numbers this season IF, the Browns can get him the ball.
    Yeah, I had Winslow on my team last year and he suprised me.
    I was unhappy to get stuck with him at first because he's a j~~~~~~s but he ended up with 89 catches most by a tight end so that's a plus if you get PPR.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    As for BUF D, they lost Takeo Spikes, Nate Clements, and now have issues with injuries and suspensions all along their Defensive line...might want to check the FAs sooner.
    I'm pretty sure I'll be dumping the Buf D for someone else before Week 1.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

GALLY is offline Starter

I am not sold on MBIII because of the high short yardage TD's last year.
    A lot of things have to go right for the opportunities to be there.
    Plus with a new coaching staff there has been word that JJ will also be in the mix for some goal line carries as well.

I don't think you can count on another 14 TD's this year out of that guy.

"Zeus" wrote:
    Okay - had the draft for the Yahoo league I run.
    12 teams (for the first time - a few years back we had TWENTY (!!) teams), start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K, no position requirements on bench players.

I know it's tough to evaluate a draft w/out knowing what players were on the board.
    Some dude took the Vikes D in the 8th, or I woulda grabbed them then.

The Gods of Football
    Round Pick Player Position
    1. (10) Peyton Manning QB
    2. (15) Marvin Harrison WR
    3. (34) Adrian Peterson RB
    4. (39) Marion Barber III RB
    5. (58) Plaxico Burress WR
    6. (63) DeAngelo Williams RB
    7. (82) Kellen Winslow TE
    8. (87) Santana Moss WR
    9. (106) DeShaun Foster RB
    10. (111) Anthony Gonzalez WR
    11. (130) J.P. Losman QB
    12. (135) Stephen Gostkowski K
    13. (154) Buffalo DEF
    14. (159) Dominic Rhodes RB

With only 12 teams, lots of options to add/drop and stuff, so I can play the "best available DEF matchup" game all season.

I'm reasonably satisfied, but I'm kinda dependent on AD and Barber putting up some bigger numbers than most expect.

=Z=
    Your very strong every where except runningback. Your receivers are dominate over anyone. And you double down points with Harrison and Manning. Your quarterback is Manning so you know you beat everyone by 5 points a week in the battle of quarterbacks and Kellen Winslow is a top 5 tight end when healthy. Kicker with a New England offense is greatness. Buffolo Defense I dont really know. I dont watch AFC unless they go against Minnesota. Especially not a team like Buffolo. The only thing is they are in the same division as New England. Thats two weeks you dont do great. And then Jets and Miami are good offenses.

You really should try to avoid taking a runningback as your number one whos to be splitting time. Your number two as well. AD doesnt look like the guy they'll go to at the goal line. He's more of the homerun hitter in between the 20s who isnt big at run at the pile but I havent seen enough to be completely sure of that. I like DeAngelo Williams to breakout. Thats a great backup. Id say its a decent team just weak at runningback.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

You really should try to avoid taking a runningback as your number one whos to be splitting time. Your number two as well. AD doesnt look like the guy they'll go to at the goal line. He's more of the homerun hitter in between the 20s who isnt big at run at the pile but I havent seen enough to be completely sure of that. I like DeAngelo Williams to breakout. Thats a great backup. Id say its a decent team just weak at runningback.
    I thought one of his strong points is the fact that he always falls forward.
    On his TD last week he disappeared into the pile and reappeared in the end zone.
    It didn't seem like Chester had many short yardage TD's last year, then again we didn't get close enough to the goal line without a penalty pushing us back to provide many opportunities.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"Zeus" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:
    40 combined from Manning and Harrison every week is very generous.
    Don't forget they have at least 2 other guys that are just as capable (Addai, Wayne) as having huge games.

Personally I would've taken Maroney and Jones-Drew with your picks... but still, your team looks alright.

Team Ssnif got LT, Thomas Jones and Drew Brees... that is a LOADED team.
    I don't know about Jones, myself.
    But Brees and LT is nice, yes.

Our league gives a full 6 points for passing TDs, so looking for 25 points from Manning each week (1 pt/20 yards passing) isn't unreasonable.
    We've also got bonus points (5) for 400 yards passing.

=Z=
    You get 6 points for passing TD's.
    It was a no-brainer then.
    He set the NFL record with 49 TD's in 2004.
    Last year he threw for 31.
    With that scoring he was a steal with the 10th pick.

"lakehubertviking" wrote:
    I thought one of his strong points is the fact that he always falls forward.
    On his TD last week he disappeared into the pile and reappeared in the end zone.
    It didn't seem like Chester had many short yardage TD's last year, then again we didn't get close enough to the goal line without a penalty pushing us back to provide many opportunities.
    True about Chester Taylor in my opinion but it looks like when we do get down in goalline situation Chester Taylors the guy they'll go to who wont really shy away from the middle. I remember most of the times we got to the goal line. He jumped over the pile and he powered through it following his bloockers. I saw Adrians TD against NYJ but at Oklahoma f you saw him wasnt big at running at the pile. There bread and butter there was the stretch. I dont remember his power at the middle being his strong point. I remember him always being like that big play he had for 43 yards in NY. If you look at that play thats how I saw him preform in college. Not powering through the middle and breaking it. He was Edge the outside of the tackles-break it-and race down the feild for the TD usually down the sidelines.
    Thats just how I remember him.

Now Im not trying to be mean about saying this or smug or whatever but if you can find a scouting report that says he has power in the middle then I'll say okay coolio. One more reason this guy greatness.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast