Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: What makes a good FF manager?

Quote Originally Posted by "snowinapril" #1079476
    Drop list!

Just because someone doesn't want someone on their team doesn't mean they aren't worthy of being on your team.
    Don't I know it. I dropped Dwayne Bowe after a slow start, now he has something like 13td in the last 7 games. stupid.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "NordicNed" #1080545
    Hire me to be your GM :P Thats what! :lol:
    Only if you want to build a team that steamrolls through the regular season and the chokes in the playoffs.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1080550
    Drop list!

Just because someone doesn't want someone on their team doesn't mean they aren't worthy of being on your team.
    Don't I know it. I dropped Dwayne Bowe after a slow start, now he has something like 13td in the last 7 games. stupid.
    I love that guy, I was more upset with Cassell for not knowing how to get him the ball. I had him on one of my teams and stuck with him, believe me I thought about letting him go but there wasn't anyone out there with more potential than him so I kept him.

Plus I had Marshall, Owens, Sid Rice and V.Jack along with Bowe.

Pretty much went Marshall, Owens, and Bowe all season, got me to 9-2. I think I had Woodhead for a while to fill in for byes.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

I use the PP.O league function "Top Free Agents" every week. It includes all drops up to the minute. It is great for watching trends in scoring.

That's kind of important, too, watching trends vs. most recent performance. I value consistency more than breakout potential. I'd much rather have a guy who mat not be flashy but is highly likely to turn in a decent score, than a boom or bust kind of guy. I picked up Woodhead as a backup RB a few weeks back, as he was trending upward as the season went on.

Versatility is important to me, as well. I like guys wuo can score in multiple ways. This is why I tend to add value to RB who catch a good number of passes, and WRs who are used to run often. Jamal Charles was targeted because of this, despite splitting carries with Thomas Jones, and he has paid big dividends for me.

This stuff may be fairly basic to a lot of you... I wouldn't know, as I am just a rookie at this game, but it made sense to me.

The most important thing, overall, though, is just to pay attention and never just mail it in. Make no assumptions that you are safe just because you have talent.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

ILLvike is offline Rookie

Another thing which makes Woodhead great in some leagues is that he is a two position guy- he is listed as a WR and a RB, which means you can put him into (typically) five spots, as opposed to two or three.
    None

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1080635
    I use the PP.O league function "Top Free Agents" every week. It includes all drops up to the minute. It is great for watching trends in scoring.

That's kind of important, too, watching trends vs. most recent performance. I value consistency more than breakout potential. I'd much rather have a guy who mat not be flashy but is highly likely to turn in a decent score, than a boom or bust kind of guy. I picked up Woodhead as a backup RB a few weeks back, as he was trending upward as the season went on.

Versatility is important to me, as well. I like guys wuo can score in multiple ways. This is why I tend to add value to RB who catch a good number of passes, and WRs who are used to run often. Jamal Charles was targeted because of this, despite splitting carries with Thomas Jones, and he has paid big dividends for me.

This stuff may be fairly basic to a lot of you... I wouldn't know, as I am just a rookie at this game, but it made sense to me.

The most important thing, overall, though, is just to pay attention and never just mail it in. Make no assumptions that you are safe just because you have talent.
    Being new, you don't know any better - which means you don't have pre-conceptions about what a FF site should be. So you explored all of the available reports on the PPO FF website and made use of them. Folks who have played on Yahoo or ESPN or NFL.com have notions about what should and should not be there, and probably haven't used the tools on the PPO FF website to their best advantage.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "snowinapril" #1080577
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1080550
    Drop list!

I love that guy, I was more upset with Cassell for not knowing how to get him the ball. I had him on one of my teams and stuck with him, believe me I thought about letting him go but there wasn't anyone out there with more potential than him so I kept him.

Plus I had Marshall, Owens, Sid Rice and V.Jack along with Bowe.

Pretty much went Marshall, Owens, and Bowe all season, got me to 9-2. I think I had Woodhead for a while to fill in for byes.
    It was in the PPO league that I gave him up, lots of available talent. I think I picked up Hines ward as a replacement. Also let go of Moss for Jeremy Maclin. Neither have been bad, but I'd trade both in a second to get Bowe back.

PPO was different this year because of the smaller rosters. With room for only 4 RB and 4WR, only 40 players were on teams. On any given week you could usually find a pretty decent starter.
    TE and QB were the opposite. With every team having 2 on there roster the pickins were pretty slim if you needed one in a pinch.

GALLY is offline Starter

I think that the first 4 or 5 rounds of the draft don't ever win the league for you but it can certainly lose it for you. You have some injuries or underperforming guys in those spots and you will be bad. Every team starts out similar with those 4 or 5 rounds and injury luck kills you.

I think you win the league with your 8-14 round draft picks by getting a Peyton Hillis or Stevie Johnson in those rounds because you did some research and found the gems. Basically get the waiver wire studs before they become studs. That's what wins it for you.

I drafted Hillis in the 15th and Vick in the 17th rounds of a 14-team, 20 round league. Those kind of picks put you over the top. I am sitting at 10-2 (two game lead over anybody else) wtih a huge point tie breaker advantage making it essentially three game lead with 5 to play (no playoffs).

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1080557
    Quote Originally Posted by "NordicNed" #1080545
    Hire me to be your GM :P Thats what! :lol:
    Only if you want to build a team that steamrolls through the regular season and the chokes in the playoffs.

=Z=
    How the truth can hurt Zeus....And right now, this first playoff round, doesn't sit well with me inside. Yes, it's #1 Seed VS #16, BUT! Looks like Favre's Lovers has put up a very formidable team for me to face this week. Fact is, depending on how the actuall players perform, and Teams, when it comes to defense, either one of us can easily come out on top. It's one of my hardest match-ups this season so far, on paper anyways, but should be a hell of a playoff match to follow closely...

Good Luck to All the finalist!

Ned

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12