Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

What makes a good FF manager?

PERSISTENCE!

You don't have to start with the best team, you need to manage it during the season. Keep looking for guys to make your team better.

I hung onto Moss way too long, wasted talent to quote a great movie (Bronx Tale). Of my original team, I have retained 5 players, 6 if you think of Jennings for D Jack an equal trade. Key pick ups were Hillis, Lloyd, Holmes and Tamme. Had to survive Ben being out first four games,five with the bye. Had to survive the injury to Finley, picked up Winslow (stunk), got lucky picking up Tamme, but we will see about Tamme, he dropped a TD pass and a couple others in the last game, see if Manning continues to throw to him or go to White and Garcon instead. What turned out to be a Jennings for D Jack trade, I regret a bit, it cost me the first game of the season, but I beat that team the second time around. McNabb is not a potent fantasy player. Solid move mid season, I had Dan Carpenter on my team to kick, got a 15 point, 17 point, 19 point, 4 point and 12 point games out of the guy, just put Hartley back on the team due to the lack of trust in Mia to move the ball with questionable QB activity.

Draft Day!
    1. (10) Randy Moss (Ten - WR) Waste after NE days.
    2. (11) Steven Jackson (StL - RB) Solid
    3. (30) Ronnie Brown (Mia - RB) Waste at no 3.
    4. (31) Greg Jennings (GB - WR) traded for D Jack
    5. (50) Knowshon Moreno (Den - RB) Good once healthy, hammy slowed him down.
    6. (51) Jermichael Finley (GB - TE) IR bummer
    7. (70) Percy Harvin (Min - WR) traded for D Jack
    8. (71) C.J. Spiller (Buf - RB) took a chance
    9. (90) Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB) SLEEPER
    10. (91) Terrell Owens (Cin - WR) SLEEPER
    11. (110) Donovan McNabb (Was - QB) disappointment did well to start season.
    12. (111) San Diego (SD - DEF) Good
    13. (130) Sidney Rice (Min - WR) Didn't want Sid to feel bad picked him up with last pick in draft instead of a kicker.

Traded:
    Greg Jennings (GB - WR)
    Percy Harvin (Min - WR)
    C.J. Spiller (Buf - RB)
    for
    DeSean Jackson (Phi - WR)
    Owen Daniels (Hou - TE)
    Garrett Hartley (NO - K)

Current Team! 2nd place in ten team league.
    QB Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB)
    Eli Manning
    WR Brandon Lloyd (Den - WR)
    D Jackson
    WR Santonio Holmes (NYJ - WR)
    Terrible Owens
    RB Peyton Hillis (Cle - RB)
    Ronnie Brown
    RB Knowshon Moreno (Den - RB)
    Steven Jackson
    TE Jacob Tamme (Ind - TE)
    K Garrett Hartley (NO - K)
    DEF New York (NYJ - DEF)

ILLvike is offline Rookie

Re: What makes a good FF manager?

I agree. The key to doing well in fantasy football is working the waiver wire well. Any yutz with a magazine can conduct a half-decent draft. You win and lose by seeing and grabbing whoever the next big guy is going to be. I've gotten Steve Johnson, Ryan Torain, Jacob Tamme, among others in multiple leagues and seen great returns.
    None

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Waiver wire pick up times should be changed into my division,it is 5:00 a.m. for most of us when MNF game finishes ,next morning you look for the player you want to realize he has been picked up for some american smart-ass,aka Naked Ned or Mr.Anderson,right after MNF!!
    El underdog.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

A good draft, followed by alot of watching football so you can see who is gonna be the "Nugget" this year.

Mix in the ability to guess well on matchups and a bit of luck and your in.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Assembling a team with the right mix of explosive players (mainly WRs) and steady players (like RBs who play most of the time on 3rd down). Drafting a kicker very late because they suck, and valuing and investing in the TE position. Luck (as in minimal injuries) and favorable week to week matchups...help too.

Also, last year's stats are not this year's givens. Pay attention to the pre-season and early games. Mid-year usually produces some breakout young players too, on this year's up and coming teams, such as Tampa Bay.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

First off it is about 50% luck. A player can be a fantasty stud, but if he's injured your out. Who you play and when is big, sometimes lesser teams just get lucky and have a monster week.

You have to know the rules of your league. Is it points per reception? Do you start 2 WR or 3? Will this be a keeper league? Are pass TD worth 4pts or 6pts? Knowing all this information will be very helpful.

During the draft it's a good idea to have a cheat sheet, that gives you an idea of where the experts rank players. Most draft websites provide a list for you, I like to have a second one, so that I am not picking the same guys as an auto draft.

Kickers should not be drafted early. There is very little seperation, and you can always get a free agent one that has a good matchup that week.

You have to evaluate your team each and every week, and start the best players available. Many people will not do this and end up starting an injured player, or one that is on his bye week.

Watching the waiver wire is huge, especially early on. Managers that get the key signings often win. A Michael Vick or Peyton Hillis can be the difference between winning and losing.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

It's all about the waiver wire. I'm in first place in my league because I picked up Peyton Hillis, Brandon Lloyd, Mike Tolbert, Fred Jackson, BenJarvis Green-Ellis, Mark Clayton, Marcedes Lewis, and several others. In total I've had 30 acquisitions. Every week just go through a ditch the players who don't do anything for players who you think will see an increased role as the season goes on.

MaxVike wrote:
    Assembling a team with the right mix of explosive players (mainly WRs) and steady players (like RBs who play most of the time on 3rd down). Drafting a kicker very late because they suck, and valuing and investing in the TE position. Luck (as in minimal injuries) and favorable week to week matchups...help too.

Also, last year's stats are not this year's givens. Pay attention to the pre-season and early games. Mid-year usually produces some breakout young players too, on this year's up and coming teams, such as Tampa Bay.
    I am actually thinking that the draft is not as important as I thought it was in the past. I went into the draft wanting a few players that I was confident with, it is apparent which ones they were, because I have them on more than one team. If you make sure you get the guys you want it doesn't matter what order you take them in, it is just risky, take Owens and Foster for instance, I didn't want to take them too soon, but I knew they were going to be good this season. I put a round I was going to take them in and if they were there in that round I took them, if not, oh well.

Luck does have a lot to do with it. Take Finely for instance I gambled on him maybe a round earlier than necessary, then the guy gets hurt.

I will have to list the guys I have in common on different teams a little later.

Drop list!

Just because someone doesn't want someone on their team doesn't mean they aren't worthy of being on your team.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Hire me to be your GM :P Thats what! :lol:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast