ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Vikings new era should scare fantasy owners

[size=10pt]Vikings new era should scare fantasy owners[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/632144.html

Randy Moss is entering his second season in Oakland. Daunte Culpepper has taken his act to South Beach. And fantasy football owners are unlikely to be spending much time concerning themselves with what the home team does in the Metrodome this season. That's what happens when a high-threat, vertical offense is transformed into a West Coast system that emphasizes efficiency and spreading the ball around. The offense might work, but it sure isn't what most fantasy owners want. Nonetheless, there are certainly some Vikings worth owning and a few worth avoiding. A look at the list:
    WORTH A PICK

RB Chester Taylor: The career backup didn't get a four-year, $14.1 million deal to sit on the bench. He clearly is "the guy" when it comes to running the ball in this offense and also will see plenty of short passes. He figures to put up very respectable numbers for yardage leagues. It certainly won't hurt to have blocking from the left side of an offensive line that will feature Bryant McKinnie and Steve Hutchinson. The only drawback will be if fullback Tony Richardson takes some touchdowns away on the goal line.

QB Brad Johnson: The veteran threw for 1,885 yards and 12 touchdowns in nine starts last season. He might not be a guy you want starting on your team but certainly would be a good guy to have on the bench in case of injury. It's hard to handicap the value of Vikings receivers because Johnson will spread the ball around, but he knows the West Coast system and figures to put up good passing numbers.

TE Jermaine Wiggins: Everything about this short-passing system points to Wiggins having a good season. He certainly will catch more than one touchdown pass, which was his total in 2005. Nonetheless, Wiggins has led the Vikings in receiving in each of his first two years with the club and could end up atop the pass-catching chart again. It doesn't hurt Wiggins' cause that he dropped some pounds during the offseason and should be quicker.

VIKINGS TO AVOID

Wide receivers: With Koren Robinson seemingly having blown a golden opportunity, it's difficult to say if any wide receiver is going to end up being Johnson's go-to-guy. Travis Taylor appears to be the most likely candidate because of his willingness to catch the ball in traffic and take a hit. But Johnson could end up spreading the ball around and reducing the fantasy value of the entire receiving corps. The lone true vertical threat seems to be speedy Troy Williamson but this offense doesn't figure to go vertical that much. If you feel the need to grab a Vikings receiver, go with Taylor first and Williamson second.

WR Koren Robinson: Don't even think about it. The NFL figures to slap him with a yearlong suspension, and even if they didn't odds are he will not resurface in the NFL any time soon. Now if you're in a CFL fantasy league ...

RB Mewelde Moore: OK, you probably wouldn't have taken him anyway. But this is just a word of warning in case you're going to get cute and assume Taylor will get injured. Moore already is nursing a knee injury and just doesn't appear able to stay on the field. If Taylor goes down, the best guess is Ciatrick Fason is given the first opportunity to replace him. Moore's biggest role might be on punt returns.

TWO FINAL THOUGHTS

• If you're looking for a defense in the late rounds, the Vikings unit might not be a bad pick. Playing the trendy Tampa-2 system, Mike Tomlin's defense should put some points on the board. Essentially the system calls for linebackers and defensive backs to watch the eyes of the quarterback and react. If worked to perfection, that results in interceptions and potentially long returns.

• Ryan Longwell spent his first nine seasons kicking in the cold and swirling winds of Lambeau Field. Despite this he ranks eighth in NFL history with an 81.6 percent accuracy mark. Spending eight games a season kicking in the Metrodome should only improve those numbers. This might not be the guy to start the annual run on kickers with but he certainly should be gobbled up in short order when it does start.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Vikings new era should scare fantasy owners

I'm surprised that Brad Johnson was listed as a fantasy quarterback option.
    The guy has some points, but he is one of the last quarterbacks I would have thought of drafting in a fantasy league.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    The guy has some points, but he is one of the last quarterbacks I would have thought of drafting in a fantasy league.
    I agree.

Brad Johnson is a very efficient QB. The type of guy who won't make a lot of mistakes, but also won't put up many big numbers.

And that's why I'm also suprised that he was listed as a fantasy quarterback option.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePride80" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I agree.

Brad Johnson is a very efficient QB. The type of guy who won't make a lot of mistakes, but also won't put up many big numbers.

And that's why I'm also suprised that he was listed as a fantasy quarterback option.
    hey, what a better guy to help fill those bye weeks..you know you're not gonna get hurt having him in.

Prophet Guest

Bj is a backup for a bye week in FF.
    Chester is a risk, good 3rd RB option in FF with sleeper potential and Wiggins is servicable at TE, middle range FF TE.
    The only starter from the Vikings in FF is Longwell.
    The rest are depth type people.
    Fantasy and reality don't mix when it comes to the new Vikes.

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

I have Troy in both of my leagues, got him in the LATE rounds, before Koren went Wade Boggs on us.
    I think he'll end up having a better statistical year than Taylor.
    He has the speed for those quick slants..and if he gets in the open field...POINTS!
    If your in a point per reception league and you need a backup, I don't think he is a bad option at ALL

SKOL VIKINGS
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i do not really have plans to take any vikings. i might take williamson in a very late round, but otherwise no thanks.
    We're bringing purple back.