Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Vikes D ranked nr. 6 by Athlon (!)

I picked up Athlon Sports Fantasy Football magazine this month, and they have our defense nr. 6 in the NFL. Here is what it says:

"Although the Vikings are in transition this year (new coach, new scheme), they still did exceedingly well. Minnesota had top-five finishes in the interception and points allowed categories, and they converted 36 takeaways into 5 TDs. Sack production (25th) is expected to improve with the return of DE Erasmus James, who missed all but two games last year (knee). The ony significant change will be Leslie Frazier, who replaces mike Tomlin as defensive coordinator".

This mirrors my thinking, by the way. I think this unit will be really good this year. I personally consider Frazier a better Def.Coordinator than Tomlin (that ring on Frazier's finger also suggests that). I think Tomlin is overrated, by the way. I am sick of hearing about how his units "hit". Pulllease !! This is the NFL. ALL units hit. All units are physical. What are they thinking ?! Tomlin was good because of Pat and Kevin Williams and our great, experienced secondary last year.

Frazier will take them to the next level, especially with guys like Greenway, James, Doss, and Tank Williams in there.

By the way, the top 5 defenses, ahead of us, according to Athlon are:

1. Chicago
    2. Baltimore
    3. San Diego
    4. New England
    5. Phili

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes D ranked nr. 6 by Athlon (!)

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I picked up Athlon Sports Fantasy Football magazine this month, and they have our defense nr. 6 in the NFL. Here is what it says:
    So, in terms of FANTASY FOOTBALL, some magazine rates the Vikings as #6.

Wee.

Why isn't this in the FF forum?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I know these are meaningless stats, but, I'm curious.
    What is the rating system based on in their minds?
    Pts allowed?
    Least yds allowed?
    Some formula?
    If you list them on total defense from the 2006 season, nfl.com shows the Vikings coming in at the #8 slot or #1 in rushing defense, etc.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    I know these are meaningless stats, but, I'm curious.
    What is the rating system based on in their minds?
    Pts allowed?
    Least yds allowed?
    Some formula?
    If you list them on total defense from the 2006 season, nfl.com shows the Vikings coming in at the #8 slot or #1 in rushing defense, etc.
    Because this is for FANTASY FOOTBALL, the rating system is based on the FANTASY points that the Vikings defense is projected to accumulate in the 2007 season.
    The #1 rushing defense has no meaning.
    Points allowed, sacks, turnovers and defensive TDs are (generally) the defensive scoring categories.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

I never understand why people post fantasy football crap in the Vikings forum.
    I love playing fantasy football, but i see no relation between fantasy football and reality.
    I put it in the same category as the maddenite way of thinking.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

My FF league awards bonus points on game totals in addition to the normal 2 pts for a turnover, 1 for a sack, 6 for TDs ect...
    Vikings were NUMBER 5 in fantasy points last year!!
    With Chicago and Green bay both above them...hmm, lots of bad offense in our division, OR the black and blue defenses actually making a name for themselves?

Rush yards allowed:
    0 - 99 RuYdAs = 5 points
    100 - 125 RuYdAs = 2 points

Pass yards allowed:
    0 - 225 PaYdAs = 5 points
    226 - 275 PaYdAs = 2 points

Points allowed:
    0 - 0 PAs = 10 points
    1 - 3 PA = 5 points
    4 - 9 PA = 1 point
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"StillPurple" wrote:

This mirrors my thinking, by the way. I think this unit will be really good this year. I personally consider Frazier a better Def.Coordinator than Tomlin (that ring on Frazier's finger also suggests that). I think Tomlin is overrated, by the way. I am sick of hearing about how his units "hit". Pulllease !! This is the NFL. ALL units hit. All units are physical. What are they thinking ?! Tomlin was good because of Pat and Kevin Williams and our great, experienced secondary last year.
    I actually agree with you on something.
    This feels weird.
    Anyways, doesn't it feel good to make your own conclusions rather then following and regurgitating some canon book of football?

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Prophet" wrote:
    I love playing fantasy football, but i see no relation between fantasy football and reality.
    Fantasy Football is based on stats. We use stats to make comparrisons about teams past and present. The only real difference is that Fantasy Football doesn't usually take into account the most important stat, Wins and Losses.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Fantasy Football is based on stats. We use stats to make comparrisons about teams past and present. The only real difference is that Fantasy Football doesn't usually take into account the most important stat, Wins and Losses.
    There is already a forum on this site dedicated to Fantasy Football...no need to post it in the Vikings forum.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Incorrect.
    Fantasy football takes on specific stats that are based on the league that you are in.
    Some leagues use the defensive team, some leagues use individual defensive players, etc.
    There is little to no resemblance to the real game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast