Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Singer needs Fantasy Football help!

I need some help. The draft is tomorrow night. I was talked into joining a Fantasy Football league this year & I am a totally green when it comes to this stuff.

I have never played it before in my life & do not follow teams/players other than the Vikings. My questions are as follows;

1. Based on my line-up, scoring & draft order, in which round do I pick the certain positions? Do I take a QB, RB, WR, TE or defense first? Order the positions in the order you would take them.

2. How should I divvy up my remaining 8 picks? Is it wise to carry two defenses?

How many of each position should I carry?

3. Since a lot of teams carry two backs in rotation, I plan on targeting teams that have a go to RB instead of a tandem set. Do you agree?

4. Any other recommendations for this first timer?

Lineups
    A lineup consists of 8 starting positions: quarterback, 2 running backs, 2 wide receivers, tight end, kicker, and team defense.
    Each team owner will be responsible for the control of their starting lineup according to procedures of the Fox Sports Fantasy Football League website.

Rosters
    Teams will be allowed to use their 8 remaining draft choices to backup any position.

Scoring:

Passing
    :

1. Three points are awarded for each TD pass thrown.
    2. One point is deducted for each interception thrown.
    3. Two points are awarded for each PAT pass thrown.
    4. One point is deducted for each fumble lost.

Rushing and Receiving:

1. Six points are awarded for each rushing or receiving TD.
    2. Two points are awarded for each rushing or receiving PAT.
    3. One point is awarded for each reception.
    4. One point is deducted for each fumble lost.

Kickers:

1. One point is awarded for each PAT kicked.
    2. Three points are awarded for each field goal less than 40 yards.
    3. Four points are awarded for each field goal greater than or equal to 40 yards and less than 50 yards.
    4. Five points are awarded for each field goal greater than 50 yards.

Additional points, based on each player's performance, will be awarded as follows:

Passing:

Yards Points
    050-099 1 pts
    100-149 2 pts
    150-199 3 pts
    200-249 4 pts
    250-299 5 pts
    300-349 6 pts
    350-399 7 pts
    400-449 8 pts
    450-499 9 pts
    500-549 10 pts
    etc. etc.

Rushing or Receiving (calculated separately):
    Yards Points
    25-49

1 pt
    50-74 2 pts
    75-99 3 pts
    100-124 4 pts
    125-149 5 pts
    150-174 6 pts
    175-199 7 pts
    200-224 8 pts
    225-249 9 pts
    250-274 10 pts
    etc. etc.

Defense:
    Statistic (Team Totals)

Fumble Recovery 2 pts
    Safety 2 pts
    Sack 1 pt
    TD (includes Special Teams)

6 pts

Draft Order;

We have 8 players & 16 rounds. I pick;

1st - 8
    2nd - 1
    3rd - 5
    4th - 4
    5th - 2
    6th - 7
    7th - 5
    8th - 4
    9th - 1
    10th - 8
    11th - 3
    12th - 6
    13th - 4
    14th - 5
    15th - 4
    16th - 5

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Singer needs Fantasy Football help!

I would take 2 running backs right away and then a QB, those three are going to get you the most points. Actually, since you pick 8,9 overall, you better take the best two RBs that are left and then when you pick 16, 17 take a QB and another RB. Make sure you know each of your selected players bye weeks too, that is important. Good luck singer.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

1. Based on my line-up, scoring & draft order, in which round do I pick the certain positions? Do I take a QB, RB, WR, TE or defense first? Order the positions in the order you would take them.

Generally you try to take a Running Back first. They tend to rack up the most points seeing that they can create by themselves. If you have a late first rounder and Peyton Manning falls into your lap, go for it. Other than that you stick to one of the top 10 RB's in the first round. Second round you could either try to get a quality backup RB (since you'll be starting 2) with some potential or a good QB or WR. So here's a mock draft type thing (don't criticize my picks, this is just for the purpose of showing singer). This is a 12 team league example.

Round 1, pick 6- Frank Gore
    Round 2- Pick 6- Ronnie Brown
    Round 3- Pick 6- Anquan Boldin
    Round 4 pick 6- Tom Brady
    Round 5, Pick 6- Calvin Johnson
    Round 6, Pick 6- Randy McMichael

Right there you've made a solid starting lineup. Two good RB's, a solid WR, a sold QB, a solid TE, a WR with potential.

In an 8 team league it's a bit different. There's gonna be a lot more talent sitting there With the 8th pick you're in a good position to pick up two starting RB's.

2. How should I divvy up my remaining 8 picks? Is it wise to carry two defenses?

lots of people carry two D's for their bye week. It all depends on if there's good value late in your draft. If you see Minnesota D sitting there at the end of the draft, hop on it.
    The most important position is probably RB. I would carry 4ish. QB I usually go 2-3 since you can only start 1. WR's you need between 3-5. TE's are not all that important past the best guys in the game so maybe 2. D's and kickers you can carry 1 or 2 with either depending on how you see your bye weeks.

3. Since a lot of teams carry two backs in rotation, I plan on targeting teams that have a go to RB instead of a tandem set. Do you agree?
    Yes, I agree. Although this is a good strategy don't completely count out the ones in the two back system. Reggie bush will get a lot of points and so will Deuce. But yeah for the most part for with the ones in a 1 back system.

4. Any other recommendation s for this first timer?

Not really. I'm not exactly an expert as this is my 4th? year playing casually. If you know football just go for the players that you think will produce the most. I recommend going to sites and seeing where they project different players. If you use cheat sheets even the worst players can win. Remember to pay close attention to the waiver/FA wire to see good players getting cut or scoop up players that might produce (marques colston, tony romo last year)

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

This will be my second year playing FF. With my little experience, I will give you this advice.

Do not get over zealous with players from your favorite team. Sure, Troy Williamson, Shiancoe, and Tarvaris Jackson might do real well this year. But don't think you should pick them all as your starters. Most people will not even consider those players, so you can always pick them up very late in the draft or even in the waiver wire. A buddy of mine just picked the Vikings D in the second round. Don't do that!
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

"happy" wrote:
    This will be my second year playing FF. With my little experience, I will give you this advice.

Do not get over zealous with players from your favorite team. Sure, Troy Williamson, Shiancoe, and Tarvaris Jackson might do real well this year. But don't think you should pick them all as your starters. Most people will not even consider those players, so you can always pick them up very late in the draft or even in the waiver wire. A buddy of mine just picked the Vikings D in the second round. Don't do that!
    Oh, I'll have my purple shades off. I might go after their defense or AD in a later round since he will be sharing duties, but that's about it.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Generally you try to take a Running Back first. They tend to rack up the most points seeing that they can create by themselves. If you have a late first rounder and Peyton Manning falls into your lap, go for it. Other than that you stick to one of the top 10 RB's in the first round. Second round you could either try to get a quality backup RB (since you'll be starting 2) with some potential or a good QB or WR. So here's a mock draft type thing (don't criticize my picks, this is just for the purpose of showing singer). This is a 12 team league example.

Round 1, pick 6- Frank Gore
    Round 2- Pick 6- Ronnie Brown
    Round 3- Pick 6- Anquan Boldin
    Round 4 pick 6- Tom Brady
    Round 5, Pick 6- Calvin Johnson
    Round 6, Pick 6- Randy McMichael

Right there you've made a solid starting lineup. Two good RB's, a solid WR, a sold QB, a solid TE, a WR with potential.

In an 8 team league it's a bit different. There's gonna be a lot more talent sitting there With the 8th pick you're in a good position to pick up two starting RB's.

lots of people carry two D's for their bye week. It all depends on if there's good value late in your draft. If you see Minnesota D sitting there at the end of the draft, hop on it.
    The most important position is probably RB. I would carry 4ish. QB I usually go 2-3 since you can only start 1. WR's you need between 3-5. TE's are not all that important past the best guys in the game so maybe 2. D's and kickers you can carry 1 or 2 with either depending on how you see your bye weeks.

Yes, I agree. Although this is a good strategy don't completely count out the ones in the two back system. Reggie bush will get a lot of points and so will Deuce. But yeah for the most part for with the ones in a 1 back system.

4. Any other recommendation s for this first timer?

Not really. I'm not exactly an expert as this is my 4th? year playing casually. If you know football just go for the players that you think will produce the most. I recommend going to sites and seeing where they project different players. If you use cheat sheets even the worst players can win. Remember to pay close attention to the waiver/FA wire to see good players getting cut or scoop up players that might produce (marques colston, tony romo last year)
    This is how I am thinking: I'd shy away from Gore. He he has a lot of yards, but only has 8 TD's. I sorted my RB's by yards & again by last years TD's

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Just read on PFT that Larry Johnson of the Chiefs will not be ready to play for at least the first game of the regular schedule so don't take him.
    ;D
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

What players are done for the year or injured already that I should not draft?

Go out and buy a fantasy football mag. They have all of the draft stratigies,player rankings...etc......

here is a list of good ff websites

www.rotoworld.com
    www.kffl.com
    www.fftoolbox.com

"singersp" wrote:
    What players are done for the year or injured already that I should not draft?

Kevin Jones RB DET....they are saying they dont know if he will be back until the 6th week....but if you can get him in the late rounds draft him because when he is healthy he could be really good.

Larry Johnson RB KC........He isnt hurt but i would shy away from him. He just reported for TC and they are saying he might not be ready for week 1. Also he had 416 carries last yr and the history of RB's after they have had 400carries are not good. Dont draft him until about the 4th or 5th pick

those are about the only draftable people that have serious problems there are people with minor injuries but nothing to worry about.

Travis Henry RB DEN--should be ready to go but his injury could be pesky the whole yr

Marques Colston--same as Henry

Jason Cambell--same

blah blah blah this probably wont help you but hey! what do i have better to do ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast