Prophet Guest

Rotisserie By The Numbers: 2006 RBTN Fantasy Football Awards

Rotisserie By The Numbers: 2006 RBTN Fantasy Football Awards
    By Craig Rondinone SportsTicker Contributing Writer
    Link
    BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) It is time to celebrate the best players in fantasy football for 2005.

These are the guys who won fantasy football owners the most money and the most championships. These are the fellows who avoided torn ACLs and agents like Drew Rosenhaus so they could play for us all season long. These are the men who helped us forget about fantasy baseball for several months. These are the dudes who had the multi-touchdown games and the 200-yard performances that made us dance like Chad Johnson.

So without further adieu, here are the 2006 RBTN Fantasy Football Award winners, chosen not by the fantasy football owners of the world, but rather by one owner and one owner only, me.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER AND BEST RUNNING BACK Shaun Alexander, Seahawks:

Before any of my friends or family members write my employers, I would like to admit that I do own a Shaun Alexander No. 37 jersey, and that he has won me hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars over the past couple years. That being said, you cannot argue with Alexander's rushing title or NFL-record 28 touchdowns this season. Alexander either had a TD or 100 yards rushing (if not both) in 14 of his 16 games. Sounds like Mr. Consistency, Mr. No. 1 RB and Mr. MVP to me. Put down the Starbucks, Seattle fans, and give your boy a standing ovation. He was easily the most valuable player in fantasy football in 2005.

COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR AND BEST WIDE RECEIVER Steve Smith, Panthers:

How many players break a leg and come back faster the next year? Either Smith is a miracle of modern medicine or a mutant member of the X-Men. Fighting off double coverage all year because opposing defenses did not fear Keary Colbert, Ricky Proehl or Rod Gardner, Smith led all receivers with 1,563 receiving yards and tied for first among pass catchers with 103 receptions and 12 touchdowns. In a season where it felt like 20 different receivers put up amazing numbers, Smith's stats were definitely the best.

TOP TIGHT END Antonio Gates, Chargers:

Gates turned out to be much more than the Dexy's Midnight Runners of fantasy football. No one-year wonder here, folks. Gates proved he is the real deal. He dominated the tight end position in fantasy football more than any other player dominated his position this year. Gates was the only unanimous All-Pro selection thanks to his 89 catches for 1,101 yards and 10 touchdowns, easily outdistancing the likes of Todd Heap, Tony Gonzalez, Alge Crumpler and Jeremy Shockey in terms of fantasy worth. There is no bigger advantage in fantasy football than having a tight end who puts up wide receiver-like numbers.

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AND BEST QUARTERBACK Carson Palmer, Bengals:

Palmer ended his amazing season in a way that caused his fantasy owners to feel ill, tearing his ACL in Cincinnati's playoff game against Pittsburgh last weekend and making his availability in keeper leagues questionable. But let's focus on the positives with Palmer. He went from being a solid fantasy quarterback to the best quarterback in one quick year, besting Peyton Manning in touchdown passes (32 to 28), passing yards (3,836 to 3747) and completion percentage (67.8 to 67.3). Once he rehabs and returns, Palmer will be one of the top 5 fantasy QBs for the remainder of his career. Thankfully for Cincy and fantasy owners, he is no Akili Smith.

KICKER OF THE YEAR Neil Rackers, Cardinals:

I will go out on a limb and say that Rackers went undrafted in most fantasy drafts this past August, and that many fantasy owners did not even have his name on their cheat sheets. But Rackers, a longtime kicker with an average resume, finished second in the NFL with 140 points, connected on 40 of 42 field goal tries and was perfect on all his extra points. Only New York Giants kicker Jay Feely scored more points among kickers, and if Rackers did not get banged-up near the end of the season, he would have certainly finished numero uno in the points category. Rackers can thank Cards receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald for all the scoring opportunities. This just proves that when it comes to drafting kickers in fantasy football, it is a crapshoot, not an exact science.

DEFENSE OF THE YEAR Chicago Bears:

Not only are they the new Monsters of the Midway, the Bears were the top defense in fantasy football in 2005. Some of their names Alex Brown, Mike Brown, Lance Briggs, Nathan Vasher are not of the household variety, but this unit puts up fantasy points with a total team effort. This is not a Brian Urlacher-and-10-guys-who-stink situation. Chicago led the NFL in points allowed (only 12.6 per game), ranked second in total defense and added 41 sacks, 24 interceptions and tons of defensive touchdowns. They feasted on terrible offenses like Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland and San Francisco while grounding high-flying offenses like Cincinnati, Atlanta and Carolina. The Bears D deserve a Super Bowl shuffle from their fantasy fans.

THE THANKS FOR NOTHING AWARD Daunte Culpepper, Vikings:

This is the one yearly award where we applaud the worst in fantasy football, not the best. So put your hands together for Culpepper, because he should get a standing ovation for his 2005 performance. Heck, he should get an Oscar for best actor for pretending to be Joey Harrington during the early part of the season. That is when Culpepper could not hit the broad side of a barn, and when he could, he hit opposing defensive backs right in the chest with his passes. He had six touchdown passes and 12 interceptions when he was healthy, including a sparkling five-pick outing at Cincinnati that singlehandedly cost thousands of fantasy owners their games that weekend. Then before he could salvage his season, Culpepper tore every ligament imaginable in his knee, ending his season before it was halfway done. And he might not even be ready for the 2006 season. Daunte, you seem like a good guy, and you have done loads of great things for fantasy owners in the past, but THANKS FOR NOTHING!

That is all for me for this season, fantasy folks. I had a great time writing these columns. I hope you had as much fun reading them. Thanks for your kind e-mails throughout the season. Now it is time to concentrate on fantasy hockey and hoops, and rest up for the upcoming fantasy baseball campaign.

For more information on Craig and his columns, visit www.publishedauthors.net/craigrondinone.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Rotisserie By The Numbers: 2006 RBTN Fantasy Football Aw

Sadly true about Culpepper.. In my fantasy league I had the 3rd overall pick, and my draft board had Culpepper at #1 (I didn't bother even listing Peyton Manning because he's a lock for #1 every year). In the end, the draft went exactly as expected: Manning at #1 and Culpepper at #2.. And I was left with my #2 choice: LaDainian Tomlinson. Needless to say, I counted my lucky stars I had the #3 pick despite the fact my season lost its' momentum with LT's lack of production over the final few weeks.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rotisserie By The Numbers: 2006 RBTN Fantasy Football Awards

It is hard to hold the poor play against him. Even if you would have had him and he was playing good, your season would have been done with his injury. Half way into the season, the good QBs are snagged up. So they can give him the thanks for nothing award, but last season anything associated with DC was doomed.

Going along witht he best actor thing, DC is just setting himself up for the comeback player of the year.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"snowinapril" wrote:
    It is hard to hold the poor play against him. Even if you would have had him and he was playing good, your season would have been done with his injury. Half way into the season, the good QBs are snagged up. So they can give him the thanks for nothing award, but last season anything associated with DC was doomed.

Going along witht he best actor thing, DC is just setting himself up for the comeback player of the year.
    I can't tell you how many people who had him as their fantasy quarterback seemed to personally blame me for his stats and injury lol

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Re: Rotisserie By The Numbers: 2006 RBTN Fantasy Football Aw

ugh, i drafted daunte i think in the 1st round and picked up palmer later. but my retarded ass was too stubborn to bench daunte until he blew up his knee! i just kept waiting for him to get better, but it never happened.

Deleted_User_7552 is offline Training Camp

ROTISSERIE?

OH YES THIS VILLAGE SHALL BURN WHILE WE FEAST ON YOUR CRISP FLESH