Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PAViking is offline Rookie

Re: Role of Commissioner?

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    Collusion should be the only reason for a veto...and you wont see that happen until late in the season normally.

Stupidity should not be checked by the commish.
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    I am in a cut throat league for pretty decent money, and we dont help anyone one.
    If someone bids on a player that is hurt, we let them.
    That's a different scenario though. Why would you want another team to get better? Wouldn't that mean more competition for you? Trades are supposed to be equal...

If the trade is supposed to have an equal value... then why trade?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Why I don't play FF....too much drama in the FFL!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Regardless whether anyone else in the league thinks it's unfair, if the two sides agree, it should be a done deal.

Obviously people are going to complain if they think a trade might lessen their chances to win.

I say tough shit. What part of fantasy football don't they understand?

The only role the commisioner should play is doing the administration change in the league site to swap the players.
    With all due respect, Singer, isn't this your first season in FF?

I've been a commish in leagues where I've had to veto trades that were wayyyy out-of-balance and only being done to enhance one team at the expense of the other.
    It's not unusual.

In the case listed above, I would never have vetoed that trade.
    I think the guy getting Edward and Gonzalez is getting the better deal, but the point of a Commish Veto is to stop collusion, not to stop people from being stupid.

=Z=
    It shouldn't matter if it's my first year or 10th. I still have an opinion..........with all due respect.

Why would anyone make such a one sided trade? Obviously the guy on the shorter end of the stick could hurt his chances of winning & I only see a couple of scenarios for doing so.

1. He's getting paid on the side to do so & he has no chance of winning the league anyway.

2. He's close to the top of the league, but needs that one key player to enhance his chances of winning. Thus if he can exchange one of his expendable key players for a not so great player of another position, that is still better than anyone he has & the person he is trading with is so far down in the leading column that trading with him wouldn't pase a threat to himself.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

GALLY is offline Starter

every person evaluates talent and situations differently so who is to say that a trade is unfair at this point in the season.

you may be strong at wr and suck at QB so you give up a little more in wr talent to upgrade your qb talent.
    maybe you trade two bench wr's that would start on most teams to get what you think is an upgrade in talent at QB.
    if you just look at the players you are giving up more than you are getting but if you look at your total lineup it is an improvement to your overall starting lineup

it's too hard to make a cut and dry evaluation of most trades.
    let the teams do what they want collusion is the only vetoable offense

GALLY is offline Starter

"Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Regardless whether anyone else in the league thinks it's unfair, if the two sides agree, it should be a done deal.

Obviously people are going to complain if they think a trade might lessen their chances to win.

I say tough pooh. What part of fantasy football don't they understand?

The only role the commisioner should play is doing the administration change in the league site to swap the players.

I've been a commish in leagues where I've had to veto trades that were wayyyy out-of-balance and only being done to enhance one team at the expense of the other.
    It's not unusual.

I think the guy getting Edward and Gonzalez is getting the better deal, but the point of a Commish Veto is to stop collusion, not to stop people from being stupid.

=Z=
    True that. In one of my leagues this year someone tried to trade Ronnie Brown for DeShaun foster after week one. Albeit Brown has had a somewhat down year but seriously... that's not a fair trade at all. Almost everyone in the league vetoed it.

The veto tool is there so that someone with more knowledge can't fool someone with less knowledge into making a trade that will ruin their team. Even if one side wants to do it, they will thank the person that veto's it in the end.
    this is garbage....why would brown for foster be a vetoable trade during week #2 when they have both performed equally.....this trade should never have been vetoed.
    let owners run their own teams and evaluate talent for themselves

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"GALLY" wrote:
    every person evaluates talent and situations differently so who is to say that a trade is unfair at this point in the season.
    Exactly!

LT isn't looking nowhere near as good as he did last year. Neither is Larry Johnson.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"GALLY" wrote:
    this is garbage....why would brown for foster be a vetoable trade during week #2 when they have both performed equally.....this trade should never have been vetoed.
    I agree with that.
    A Ronnie Brown for Deshaun Foster trade should not be vetoed.

A Ronnie Brown for Mewelde Moore trade, OTOH....

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"GALLY" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I say tough pooh. What part of fantasy football don't they understand?

It's not unusual.

=Z=
    True that. In one of my leagues this year someone tried to trade Ronnie Brown for DeShaun foster after week one. Albeit Brown has had a somewhat down year but seriously... that's not a fair trade at all. Almost everyone in the league vetoed it.

The veto tool is there so that someone with more knowledge can't fool someone with less knowledge into making a trade that will ruin their team. Even if one side wants to do it, they will thank the person that veto's it in the end.
    Bingo. The veto option is there so that the league has protection from colluding owners. It's not there to protect a stupid owner from themselves. If you see a trade that you think is one sided, but it's apparent that there isn't collusion involved, the correct action is not to veto the trade. The correct action is to see if there are any players on the stupid owner's roster that you want. The stupid owner will either learn to not agree to bad trades, or you will end up with a better roster.

....at least that's what I did when the Bears homer in my league traded Lamont Jordan for Rex Grossman a couple weeks ago. Unfortuneately, I didn't have any Bears players on my roster to trade to him.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Especially if there is money involved it would be very tempting for someone that is 0-3 to make a deal with someone that is doing better so that one of them wins all the money. The person that is getting the players may even offer to give the guy some of the money. That is what the veto is for.

As far as someone just making dumb trades I think you can try to talk the person out of making the trade but if they really think they are getting a good deal then you have to let them, who knows what will happen in the NFL, the trade might work out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12