Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Pass Catching Vikings

"V" wrote:
    ...You don't run late in the game unless you have the lead (or its a close game), and there is no reason to think our passing offense is good enough to score early and establish the kind of lead which lets us run later in the game. I know the scheme calls for a good mix of passes, but that simply is not the strength of this team talent-wise.

Run the ball down their throats. All game, every game.
    ....since many of the games, ~7, were lost last year by a score or less the ram it down their throat technique sounds great to me.
    Wear the bastards out the whole game.

The thing is, it will be a mixture like last year.
    I remember going through the plays last year and if I recall correctly it was pretty close to a 50-50 mix of passing/running.
    It will be the same this year.
    People just get their panties in a wad because there weren't the long bombs...although there would have been a few of those if TWill could have caught the damn ball.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Prophet" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    ...You don't run late in the game unless you have the lead (or its a close game), and there is no reason to think our passing offense is good enough to score early and establish the kind of lead which lets us run later in the game. I know the scheme calls for a good mix of passes, but that simply is not the strength of this team talent-wise.

....since many of the games, ~7, were lost last year by a score or less the ram it down their throat technique sounds great to me.

I remember going through the plays last year and if I recall correctly it was pretty close to a 50-50 mix of passing/running.
    People just get their panties in a wad because there weren't the long bombs...although there would have been a few of those if TWill could have caught the gol 'darnit ball.
    You my friend are wise beyond your years.....
    Someone told me that you were pretty old so that explains why you can make great posts like this
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

People just get their panties in a wad because there weren't the long bombs...although there would have been a few of those if TWill could have caught the damn ball.
    I sure hope not..thats what killed us last year was the Med. passing game..if we dont get anything in the med. to long range, defenses are gonna stack the box, thus another dreadful offense like last year.

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

I sure hope not..thats what killed us last year was the Med. passing game..if we dont get anything in the med. to long range, defenses are gonna stack the box, thus another dreadful offense like last year.
    Seriously doubt that.
    Last year two of the biggest problems, the biggest IMO, were in execution and offensive penalties.
    The KAO is all about the short game.
    They will occasionally shoot it down the field, like they did last year.
    The penalties on the o-line came at painstaking times and were consistently destroying the team last year.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Seriously doubt that.
    Last year two of the biggest problems, the biggest IMO, were in execution and offensive penalties.
    The penalties on the o-line came at painstaking times and were consistently destroying the team last year.
    And thus we come to the most frustrating part of the offseason: There is no guarantee that the penalties, as well as other problems in the offense, have been fixed.

Will playcalling be better? Same coach and coordinator so we can't know.
    Will penalties go away? Other than more experience, OL is the same, so we can't know.
    Are we better off at QB? I would say yes, but there is no way to tell if TJ is better than BJ yet.
    Did we upgrade our WR corps? We decided to go with youth, but we can't know whether postive results will be seen this year. On paper it looks like we downgraded.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Seriously doubt that.
    And thus we come to the most frustrating part of the offseason: There is no guarantee that the penalties, as well as other problems in the offense, have been fixed.

Will playcalling be better? Same coach and coordinator so we can't know.
    Will penalties go away? Other than more experience, OL is the same, so we can't know.
    Are we better off at QB? I would say yes, but there is no way to tell if TJ is better than BJ yet.
    Did we upgrade our WR corps? We decided to go with youth, but we can't know whether postive results will be seen this year. On paper it looks like we downgraded.
    Thus the circuitous discussions.
    Wait and see.
    Screw that, we would have nothing to argue....er discuss.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Thanks Singer, you are ever vigalant in your quest to bring us news.

You've got to think that Shiancoe with his 4.5 speed will be able to get down the middle better than Wiggin's used to.
    This should occupy a safety, which will open up a WR for single coverage, and you've got to beat single coverage.

I know in the WCO you pass to estamblish the run, but I think we will run more trying to keep T-Jacks attempts to 30-35. per game.
    Not sure how much the Chiller will cut the playbook down because of his young QB.

I think alot of it will be how close our D can keep us in the game.
    Hopefully we will be ahead early in the games which will result in a ratio somewere alongs the lines of 40% Pass/60% Run.
    Regardless of the situation I think we will see a consistency with respect to multiple recievers (WR, TE, RB) running routes during the initial phases of the game whatever the percentages are.

That will then setup the run along with play action in the later rounds to keep the D off balance and eat up the clock.
    You don't run late in the game unless you have the lead (or its a close game), and there is no reason to think our passing offense is good enough to score early and establish the kind of lead which lets us run later in the game. I know the scheme calls for a good mix of passes, but that simply is not the strength of this team talent-wise.

Ahhhh V, I always love your posts......

I think you are kindof echoing what I said.
    My assumption/statement is based on the hope that our D will keep us in the game, giving us the ball back in good field position as well as hopefully gettting a few scores themselves this year.

Additionally, your comment on the strenght of this team....
    I agree on paper we appear to be a run first team, however, I for one think that as with the LB'rs last year, our WR corp is better than some prognosticators think.

Will it be like the days of Moss, Carter, Reed, probably not, but at least I think it will be good enough to give us a pretty balanced attack and won't be a liability like some believe allowing the Chiller to start showing some of the building blocks of that KAO.

;D
    Our best bet to win games is run, run, run, throw.
    My prediction is we will run two downs and throw on the third only to be stopped and punt.
    The steelers were the king of the run and they won a lot.
    they also only let rothlens-wuh? throw 24 times a game during their most successful year.
    maybe childress has that in mind.
    but we will win or lose by the oline and running game.
    i expect tavaris to be sidelined by week eight and only after there is 6 weeks of complaining from the fans.

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Thanks Singer, you are ever vigalant in your quest to bring us news.

You've got to think that Shiancoe with his 4.5 speed will be able to get down the middle better than Wiggin's used to.
    This should occupy a safety, which will open up a WR for single coverage, and you've got to beat single coverage.

I know in the WCO you pass to estamblish the run, but I think we will run more trying to keep T-Jacks attempts to 30-35. per game.
    Not sure how much the Chiller will cut the playbook down because of his young QB.

I think alot of it will be how close our D can keep us in the game.
    Hopefully we will be ahead early in the games which will result in a ratio somewere alongs the lines of 40% Pass/60% Run.
    Regardless of the situation I think we will see a consistency with respect to multiple recievers (WR, TE, RB) running routes during the initial phases of the game whatever the percentages are.

That will then setup the run along with play action in the later rounds to keep the D off balance and eat up the clock.
    You don't run late in the game unless you have the lead (or its a close game), and there is no reason to think our passing offense is good enough to score early and establish the kind of lead which lets us run later in the game. I know the scheme calls for a good mix of passes, but that simply is not the strength of this team talent-wise.

Ahhhh V, I always love your posts......

I think you are kindof echoing what I said.
    My assumption/statement is based on the hope that our D will keep us in the game, giving us the ball back in good field position as well as hopefully gettting a few scores themselves this year.

Additionally, your comment on the strenght of this team....
    I agree on paper we appear to be a run first team, however, I for one think that as with the LB'rs last year, our WR corp is better than some prognosticators think.

Will it be like the days of Moss, Carter, Reed, probably not, but at least I think it will be good enough to give us a pretty balanced attack and won't be a liability like some believe allowing the Chiller to start showing some of the building blocks of that KAO.

;D
    Our best bet to win games is run, run, run, throw.
    My prediction is we will run two downs and throw on the third only to be stopped and punt.
    The steelers were the king of the run and they won a lot.
    they also only let rothlens-wuh? throw 24 times a game during their most successful year.
    maybe childress has that in mind.
    but we will win or lose by the oline and running game.
    i expect tavaris to be sidelined by week eight and only after there is 6 weeks of complaining from the fans.
    Two things......
    A) Run Run Pass is not the WCO.
    B)Predictable offenses are a bad thing my friend.

Another thing that is chapping my ass a bit is that for over a year I have heard from most posters on here that they are convinced/believe that the Chiller is hard headed and sooooooooooo set in his ways that he won't change the scheme. (I'm not one of them by the way).

Why all of a sudden does everybody believe he will give up on his WCO because he drafted a RB in the first round?

Can you say, "Uneducated contridiction".......

I for one, as I have stated, believe we won't be as predictable as that nor will we be as dependant on the run as most think.
    He will pare the playbook back a bit, but we will see at least a 40/60% ratio regardless of what some of you think about our QB, WR's and Coaches.

Again, my opinion.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

Everyone is also critical because he wasn't productive in NY.
    Well maybe that is because they hardly used him.
    A person can't be productively statistically unless they are used.

I agree with that, but based on being hardly used, what did the Vikings base their assesment on to warrant a 5 year deal worth $18.2 mil? 23 receptions in 4 years?

:-\
    That's a question I can't answer.
    I was wondering that myself.

"ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

Everyone is also critical because he wasn't productive in NY.
    Well maybe that is because they hardly used him.
    A person can't be productively statistically unless they are used.

I agree with that, but based on being hardly used, what did the Vikings base their assesment on to warrant a 5 year deal worth $18.2 mil? 23 receptions in 4 years?

:-\
    That's a question I can't answer.
    I was wondering that myself.
    Come on.
    That isn't hard to figure out or is this a trick question
    ;D

Its based on the same thing that they use to sign rookies when they come out of college......

Potential based on what thier scouts provide.
    Game film (if they have it)
    Athletic ability.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast