Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Moss worth first round selection?

I've been debating myself on this one. If I have a late (10-12) pick in my first round (12 teams, 14 rds) I think I'll grab him there. However, last year he went in the third round, should I wait until then or will the best WRs be there in round 3?
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

If Moss is still there at the 10-12 pick I would take him. I had three teams last year and was not able to get him.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Moss worth first round selection?

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I've been debating myself on this one. If I have a late (10-12) pick in my first round (12 teams, 14 rds) I think I'll grab him there. However, last year he went in the third round, should I wait until then or will the best WRs be there in round 3?

This all depends on what you want. Do you want a better chance at winning the league, or do you want Moss and your favorite players on your team? If it is for money, then never take a WR or QB in round 1, always a RB. If it is a free league for fun, then it is up to you.

I have done this on another fantasy question and will say it again. If you are trying to build the best fantasy team in the draft, you need to draft RB's very early. I always, yes always, use my first 2 picks on good RB's. Here is why RB's are important. RB's usully will get your team the most points on a regular basis. They are also often injured, thus the need for good depth at RB. If you look at the average points scored for RB's last year, you will see that the difference in average points for the #1 fantasy RB and the #10 fantasy RB is much bigger than the #1 WR and QB vs the #10 WR and QB. Also if you look at the top 10 RB's, QB's, and WR's drafted last year, you will see many many more of the RB's that were drafted in the top 10 actually finished with top 10 fantasy points. There are always a bunch of QB's and WR's who are drafted high, and then have very average years. You always want 1 more good RB than you can start. If you start 2 RB's than get 3 really good ones early in the draft, like rounds 1,2 and then another in round 3,4, or 5. If you do this, you will always be one of the best teams in the leaguem barring major injuries.

If it is a fun league, then it is nice to get players you like. Then Moss, you could pick moss with your first or second pick, since your second will be a few picks after your first.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Do you run a snake draft?

I'm pondering this exact same question.

As for your league, I'd say no chance in hell Moss is going to fall to the 3rd round again this year. I'd grab him at the end of the first, or if you're using a snake draft (and depending on wether you have the 10th or 11th pick), I'd take him in the 2nd and grab an RB in the 1st.

I'd also say no way the top 3 recivers make it to the 3rd round.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Moss is a definite late first round pick, especially if there are no first tier RBs available.

He put up better stats last year than most starting RBs, and has never missed a start.

granted some times he is inconsistent from week to week, but sometime he can just go the F*ck off and win you a week singlehandedly ala. SF last year.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Well, Last year, a friend had Ricky Williams and Travis Henry, but went 2-3 before trading Henry. Why? He didn't have good WRs.

I myself, Had the best reccord in the league, scored the most in the league, and lost hte superbowl by 2 pts (Akers was my kicker, he missed 2 FGs). And most of the year my bets RB was Fred Taylor. I had Torry Holt and Hines Ward as my WRs and Brad Johnson as my QB.

So, the whole Running backs win you games idea doesn't float all that well with me. I traded my top pick for Rich Gannon, Moe Williams, Jerry Rice and Fred Taylor after Week 1.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Well, Last year, a friend had Ricky Williams and Travis Henry, but went 2-3 before trading Henry. Why? He didn't have good WRs.

I myself, Had the best reccord in the league, scored the most in the league, and lost hte superbowl by 2 pts (Akers was my kicker, he missed 2 FGs). And most of the year my bets RB was Fred Taylor. I had Torry Holt and Hines Ward as my WRs and Brad Johnson as my QB.

So, the whole Running backs win you games idea doesn't float all that well with me. I traded my top pick for Rich Gannon, Moe Williams, Jerry Rice and Fred Taylor after Week 1.

True, you still need to know what your are doing after you draft good RB's. You need to be able to find good WR's, which doesn't seem hard to me.

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "VikemanX84" wrote:

True, you still need to know what your are doing after you draft good RB's. You need to be able to find good WR's, which doesn't seem hard to me.

Also I wasn't giving a garaunteed way to have the best team. If you pick the wrong Rb's its obviously not gonna work. But I garauntee you that you will win many many more league championships following the RB rule, than you will if you draft wr's early in fantasy drafts.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Tough call. I agree with the logic of drafting RBs in the first and second rounds because that has almost always worked for me. But if those five or six top knotch RBs are gone right away in the first round and Moss falls to you late in the first, I'd take him and like VS said when your early second round pick comes around (if you have a snake draft) then definately draft a RB. At that point you could probably get someone like Corey Dillon, Stephen Davis, or even Fred Taylor. Still very good.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Actually, from what I've seen, its the QB that will give you the most points over the course of a season. However, as you said before, the difference between the #1 and #10 QB isn't as great as the difference between the #1 and #10 RB. Also, if you look at a 10 team league, that league is going to need 10 starting QBs. If there are 6 or 7 QBs in the top couple of tiers, most teams in the leage will have one of these QBs. That same league will need between 20 and 30 starting running backs. In order to have 2 or 3 good RBs, yet there are about the same number of RBs in the top tiers, so the demand is much higher for them. That's why you need to draft RBs early and often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast