Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re:Johnson or Peterson for #1 Pick in Fantasy Footbal

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Without reading the article.

AD.

No purple shades.

Why?

Look at CJ's stats, on a game by game basis. At the beginning of the season, he was averaging over 6ypc, and on pace for about 1700 yards. He averaged about 18 carries a game.

the last 5 weeks, he averaged 28 carries a game, with a 3.7ish ypc average. They fed him the ball, despite losing games so he would get to 2K. He will NOT replicate that season ever again.

Its like the last few years, I laughed at guys who picked LT, Brady, Manning, etc. after record-breaking years. It just doesn't happen twice.
    During the first 6 weeks Johnson had 722yds rushing and recieving and 3 tds. The team was 0-6.
    During the last 10 weeks Johnson had 1787yds and 13td's. The team was 8-2.

Yes he had more carries, but the team won that way. I would suspect he will get lots of touches in 2010. ypc doesn't count in fantasy football.

Over the final 10 games he had 100+ yards in every game, and scored atleast 1 td in 7(2+ in 5) of the final 10. No fantasy player was more consistant in 09.

Of course Peterson also put up great numbers, but after looking at game logs I'd definetly take Chris Johnson #1. Peterson rushed for 100 yards only once the final 10 games.

Over the final 5 games you mentioned CJ had 610yds on 141 carries. That's 4.3ypc, not the 3.7 you mentioned.
    Over the final 5 game AP had 299 rush yards on 84 carries. That's 3.55ypc.

Care to change your stance?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Its like the last few years, I laughed at guys who picked LT, Brady, Manning, etc. after record-breaking years. It just doesn't happen twice.
    LT had over 1800yds and 19td's.
    Manning had over 3700yds and 28tds and only 10 picks. A down year for manning but still not numbers that usually get laughed at.
    Tom Brady got injured and missed the entire season. That could happen to anybody, those who drafted him were totally hosed and I too laughed at them(after the injury). You would need a crystal ball to laugh at someone who drafts a 50TD QB.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

AD.

No purple shades.

Why?

Look at CJ's stats, on a game by game basis. At the beginning of the season, he was averaging over 6ypc, and on pace for about 1700 yards. He averaged about 18 carries a game.

the last 5 weeks, he averaged 28 carries a game, with a 3.7ish ypc average. They fed him the ball, despite losing games so he would get to 2K. He will NOT replicate that season ever again.

Damn nice stats my friend!!

I was thinking they hadn't quite keyed on him yet

Looks like it started last year and I think will continue this year
    definitely.

They fed him the ball 38 times in a week 17 four-point win. Just to get him to 2K.

Some people claim he had one of the best seasons ever, just because the 2K, but I couldn't disagree more.

Check out OJ, Dickerson, Lewis, etc. They all had 2K in the books, or easily within reach by the last week. OJ averaged somethign stupid like 140 ypg, which is a record that still stands.

Also noteworty, Jim Brown in '63 rushed for 1800 yards in only 14 games, a pace that would top 2K as well.
    Might not have been the best season ever, but definetly one of them.

2000 rush yards alone makes it one of the best.

The 500 recieving yards also gave him the all time record for scrimmage yards in a season.

Only 3 fumbles all season(1 in 138 touches) is icing on the cake. Along with the fact that he did it all in only his 2nd nfl season.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

LT had over 1800yds and 19td's.
    Manning had over 3700yds and 28tds and only 10 picks. A down year for manning but still not numbers that usually get laughed at.
    Tom Brady got injured and missed the entire season. That could happen to anybody, those who drafted him were totally hosed and I too laughed at them(after the injury). You would need a crystal ball to laugh at someone who drafts a 50TD QB.
    Neither were the best players in the league, or even necessarily at their position.

Yes, both had good seasons. I don't laugh in the sense that I think they got a crap player, I laughed because they buy into the hype, and get a player expecting another recordbreaking year, and are disappointed when they don't.

in 2005, after Mannings great year, I purposely didn't pick him in the top round. QB's with better stats taht year: Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, and depending on the scoring system: Trent Green. There were others with comparable stats to Manning. There were better, non-QB players to be had as well.

In 2006: Shaun Alexander didn't top 900 yards, and only had 7 TD's

In 2007: LT was the top rusher, 1400 yards and 15 TD's, he's the only repeat in the past while.

In 2008: Brady got hurt, LT slid even further, AP was great

I still don't think CJ will come close to his totals from last year. 1400 yards and 11 TD's max is my opinion. Probably fewer TD's.

Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

AD.

No purple shades.

Why?

definitely.

They fed him the ball 38 times in a week 17 four-point win. Just to get him to 2K.

Some people claim he had one of the best seasons ever, just because the 2K, but I couldn't disagree more.

Check out OJ, Dickerson, Lewis, etc. They all had 2K in the books, or easily within reach by the last week. OJ averaged somethign stupid like 140 ypg, which is a record that still stands.

Also noteworty, Jim Brown in '63 rushed for 1800 yards in only 14 games, a pace that would top 2K as well.

The 500 recieving yards also gave him the all time record for scrimmage yards in a season.

Only 3 fumbles all season(1 in 138 touches) is icing on the cake. Along with the fact that he did it all in only his 2nd nfl season.
    not denying it was a great season. Fantastic.

Not top 5 in my book. Maybe top 10, maybe not. Again, they force fed him to ball to get those totals. The other 2K rushers for the most part just got it over the coruse of a season. They didn't have 38 carries in week 17 or a 3.7 yard average in the last 5 weeks just so they could make it.

Again, he will never do it again.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

AD.

No purple shades.

Why?

definitely.

not denying it was a great season. Fantastic.

Not top 5 in my book. Maybe top 10, maybe not. Again, they force fed him to ball to get those totals. The other 2K rushers for the most part just got it over the coruse of a season. They didn't have 38 carries in week 17 or a 3.7 yard average in the last 5 weeks just so they could make it.

Again, he will never do it again.
    Did you miss my post where I pointed out that he averaged 4.3ypc the final 5 weeks. Peterson averaged 3.55ypc. You need to double check your stats, or your source.

They force fed him because he was successful. Those 38 touches resulted in 154 yards and the Titans only 2TD's, including the game winner in the 4th quarter. 3.7ypc is not that bad, especially considering his long was 12 yards. Tells me he was consistantly picking up positive yardage.
    Even if they had only given him 25 touches he still has 1900+ rushing yards, which is still very impressive. For the season he had fewer carries than Peterson had in his best year 08.

Blog Entries

wrong.

Week 13: 27 carries, 113 yards, Long of 11yds
    Week 14: 28 carries, 117 yards, 2 td, Long of 39 yds
    Week 15: 29 carries, 104 yards, Long of 14 yds
    Week 16: 21 carries, 142 yds, 1 td, long of 30T yds
    Week 17: 36 carries, 134 yds, 2 td, long of 12

Tot: 141 carries, 4.3ypc* 5 td's.

However,

First 11 weeks: 217 carries, 19 carries per game, 126.9ypg, 6.4 ypc.

last 5 weeks: 141 carries, 28 carries per game, 122ypg, 4.3ypc

His averages decreased, and his carries increased greatly. They were out of the playoffs, and just fed him the rock to reach 2K. If they just played football how they were, he probably would have stopped around 1800 yards.

*my mistake, my calcs were wrong.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    wrong.

However,

His averages decreased, and his carries increased greatly. They were out of the playoffs, and just fed him the rock to reach 2K. If they just played football how they were, he probably would have stopped around 1800 yards.

What was wrong? The long of 12 was just for week 17, which is the only game that appears they forced him the ball to get 2,000 yards.
    The rest of your point is pretty insignificant, your just picking and choosing games. In reality they started getting him the ball more after week 6 not week 12. During the first 11 game he had 3 monster weeks that inflated the stats.
    week 2: 16carries 197yds(long of 91)
    week 8: 24 carries 228yds(long of 89)
    week 12: 18 carries 154yds(long of 85)

Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    [quote]i_bleed_purple wrote:
    wrong.

However,

What was wrong?
    [\quote]
    I said previously CJ's average was in the 3's, when it was 4.3 That was wrong

The long of 12 was just for week 17, which is the only game that appears they forced him the ball to get 2,000 yards.
    The rest of your point is pretty insignificant, your just picking and choosing games.
    How so? I'm pointing out the last 5 games of the season. Down the stretch, when 2K was a very real possibility, they made sure to give him every chance possible to get that.

If you want me to pick and choose games, here you go.

Week 16: 42-16 Loss. CJ got 21 runs
    Week 13: 27-17 Loss. CJ got 27 runs, When down 24-3 in the third quarter, they ran him 12 of those 27 times.

My point is down the stretch, his production slowed down, as teams were figuring out how to slow him down.

They fed him the ball more too. That part is not disputable.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    [quote]jmcdon00 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    wrong.

However,

What was wrong?
    [\quote]
    I said previously CJ's average was in the 3's, when it was 4.3 That was wrong

The long of 12 was just for week 17, which is the only game that appears they forced him the ball to get 2,000 yards.
    The rest of your point is pretty insignificant, your just picking and choosing games.
    How so? I'm pointing out the last 5 games of the season. Down the stretch, when 2K was a very real possibility, they made sure to give him every chance possible to get that.

If you want me to pick and choose games, here you go.

Week 16: 42-16 Loss. CJ got 21 runs
    Week 13: 27-17 Loss. CJ got 27 runs, When down 24-3 in the third quarter, they ran him 12 of those 27 times.

My point is down the stretch, his production slowed down, as teams were figuring out how to slow him down.

They fed him the ball more too. That part is not disputable.
    My point is that while he might have slowed down the stretch, he was still effective, more so than peterson.
    From a fantasy standpoint getting lots of touches is a great thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast