Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Fantasy First Take: Running Backs

A lot has changed in the world of fantasy running backs, but not a lot is certain. Adrian Petersonís reign as the top running back is over, according to us anyway, and many other perennial first-round picks find themselves lower on the charts. Meanwhile, the young studs Arian Foster and Jamaal Charles are on the rise. Hereís our first look at the top fantasy running backs for 2011
    Fantasy First Take: Running Backs

I for one think AD is going to have a monster year. Rationale....

a. We all know that the 8 man front cliche is the biggest one out there. All RB's see 8 man fronts.

b. Ponder. I think young Ponder is going to hit AD alot in the passing game, if he isn't handing it off to him.

c. Reps Off. I think that Toby is going to add to AD's production by taking reps away from him.

In the end, AD will see more time with the ball in his hands from the passing game, and his legs will be fresher cause Toby will help ease the workload.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Fantasy First Take: Running Backs

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099427

a. We all know that the 8 man front cliche is the biggest one out there. All RB's see 8 man fronts.
    And yet you follow with

c. Reps Off. I think that Toby is going to add to AD's production by taking reps away from him.
    The good old addition by subtraction rule, which I personally think is the biggest cliche out there. You hear it all the time, and it almost NEVER happens.

b. Ponder. I think young Ponder is going to hit AD alot in the passing game, if he isn't handing it off to him.
    I do want to see more of this. Seems every time they can get him the ball in the passing game, he's making something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099431

And yet you follow with

The good old addition by subtraction rule, which I personally think is the biggest cliche out there. You hear it all the time, and it almost NEVER happens.

I do want to see more of this. Seems every time they can get him the ball in the passing game, he's making something happen.
    Yea right, like the 2 back league isn't here......hmy:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099451

And yet you follow with

I think that Toby is going to add to AD's production
    meaning giving him less carries will make him better?

There's not really statistical 'proof' to say one way or another. There are pleanty of examples of a player going to a two-back system and his numbers get slashed greatly (LT). There are examples of a guy in a two-back system really take off (Charles), but again, he's never been the primary guy, so who knows what he's capable of.

But looking at some of the top all-time rushing seasons, I'm sure they all have a crap-ton of carries as a feature back.

it's not like RB's today are weaker or more injury prone than they were 10 years ago.

My take? I think we hit on a really interesting theme for the 2011 season, whenever it arrives. Who knows? Maybe we'll have to add a "Stomp and Grind" feature to pair with "Air and Space."

As for the matter at hand, I'm presuming the Vikings are going to start rookie quarterback Christian Ponder. Musgrave has some experience in this situation. Three years ago, Musgrave was the Atlanta Falcons' quarterbacks coach. The Falcons started rookie Matt Ryan in Week 1, and in 16 regular season games, they gave tailback Michael Turner a whopping 376 carries. Backup Jerious Norwood had another 95, and together they combined for 2,567 rushing/receiving yards.

I'm not saying Peterson and Gerhart will approach that title, but my guess is Musgrave will do everything he can along those lines. Forte/Taylor are serious candidates for this mystical title, but I'm thinking Martz will balance out his offense more than Musgrave will be able to.
    Have at It: Top RB tandems

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099454

And yet you follow with

There's not really statistical 'proof' to say one way or another. There are pleanty of examples of a player going to a two-back system and his numbers get slashed greatly (LT). There are examples of a guy in a two-back system really take off (Charles), but again, he's never been the primary guy, so who knows what he's capable of.

But looking at some of the top all-time rushing seasons, I'm sure they all have a crap-ton of carries as a feature back.

it's not like RB's today are weaker or more injury prone than they were 10 years ago.
    Think of it this way......

RB (A), 2 weeks into the season has a open lane. He runs for 50 yards and a TD.

RB (A), 14 weeks into the season has a open lane but might not break it for 50 yards if he's carries the ball 300 times vs say 250 times.

Logic dictactes that RB (A), after getting 50 reps off will have just as good a chance of getting 50 yards as he did in week 2 with the tad bit smaller work load

Long story short, it isn't about injuries as much as it is about work load management.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099458
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099454

And yet you follow with

Think of it this way......

RB (A), 2 weeks into the season has a open lane. He runs for 50 yards and a TD.

RB (A), 14 weeks into the season has a open lane but might not break it for 50 yards if he's carries the ball 300 times vs say 250 times.

Logic dictactes that RB (A), after getting 50 reps off will have just as good a chance of getting 50 yards as he did in week 2 with the tad bit smaller work load

Long story short, it isn't about injuries as much as it is about work load management.
    Yes, I get the concept of a two-back system, I'm just not a firm believer.

I think you need to have two pretty damn good backs, and Toby is not there yet. Maybe he'll become that, but until then, I want to actually see him play well. So far he's had one moderately decent game, and otherwise has not impressed.

I see a powerback one of two ways, they're either a role player (3rd and short, goal line, etc), or a dominant player (Brandon Jacobs back when he gave a crap). Toby has not been dominant so far. He's not exceptionally big, and he's not quick or fast enough to be a real playmaker for us. If he gets a big gain, it's usually because he found a huge hole.